Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hamburg, Munich

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skunk989

Hamburg, Munich

Post by skunk989 »

Hey All,

Going to Hamburg at the end of September for about a week - any recommendations (beer or otherwise) as to what some great sites were?

I'll also be heading down to Munich for the last couple days of Oktoberfest, any Oktoberfest related recommendations as well?

Thanks,

Dave

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

1) Great cities. Buy the RICK STEVES GERMANY 2010 guidebook, you will thank me for years. RS has a great support website with tons of traveler discussion and feedback.

2) Walk and explore, the only way to get to know Hamburg and (esp) Munich.

3) Ratebeer will advise top beer places, I haven't gotten to many them since I was doing other things.

4) Oktoberfest is OK, but don't expect to be blown away. The 'tents' are like being crowded together in a gymnasium of yelling drunk people. The service can be slow, the beer (which tends to go flat and warm in the 1-liter stein) is probably $18 by now, and the roast chicken is - well that is really good there so order that. Just don't expect old-timey carnival charm, and do plan lots of time for Munich stuff that is probably way more fun than the obligatory Fest and less of a one-trick pony.
In Beerum Veritas

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Get a copy of CAMRA's "Good Beer Guide Germany". I had their "Good Beer Guide Prague and the Czech Republic" when I went there and it was very informative.

skunk989

Post by skunk989 »

Thanks very much for the help - much appreciated!

I'll report on any interesting happenings/worthwhile endeavours on my return.

I'm actually also going to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, but by the looks of it, it's pretty lager dominated.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

You know the Germans always make good stuff.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Teufelsrad... fun for the whole family!!

only at Oktoberfest!! :D