Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Scottatron wrote:So are they phasing out the canned hefe completely? I thought it was just the light pils.
The canned light pils too?!?! Sonnaofbit...
lister

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

lister wrote:
Scottatron wrote:So are they phasing out the canned hefe completely? I thought it was just the light pils.
The canned light pils too?!?! Sonnaofbit...
http://www.bartowel.com/?p=1871

Maybe only scaling it back on draft. I must have misread this post a few months ago as I thought it was the cans. I've never really seen it on draft though.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Scottatron wrote: http://www.bartowel.com/?p=1871

Maybe only scaling it back on draft. I must have misread this post a few months ago as I thought it was the cans. I've never really seen it on draft though.
Ah, okay then. 8)
lister

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Well, aside from the cream ale I drink at the campus pub because it's the best option in an otherwise macro-oriented place, they've basically just lost me as a customer.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I like how it's the 2011 vintage. And it's best before August 2011.

Anyway, I found this a touch drier, more bitter, less banana-y and it had much better head retention than before. Which is to say, it had head retention.

Overall I notice minor differences for the better. I picked up a can of Muskoka hefe yesterday in order to do a side-by-side comparison just to be sure though.

While this rebranding might be a bit of a misstep, I actual like the direction Muskoka is taking and will pick up a few more bottles of this in two months when it's actually summer. It's a nice one to share with my girlfriend.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm going to kick the dead horse just one more time. The purpose of a SINGLE serving Hefeweizen package is that you can easily swirl and pour the yeast sediment over the poured beer. That is just inviolable tradition.

Not that canned Muskoka ever had a ton of yeast sediment. I'm curious to see how the bottled version pours.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TJ wrote:I like how it's the 2011 vintage. And it's best before August 2011.

Anyway, I found this a touch drier, more bitter, less banana-y and it had much better head retention than before. Which is to say, it had head retention.

Overall I notice minor differences for the better. I picked up a can of Muskoka hefe yesterday in order to do a side-by-side comparison just to be sure though.

While this rebranding might be a bit of a misstep, I actual like the direction Muskoka is taking and will pick up a few more bottles of this in two months when it's actually summer. It's a nice one to share with my girlfriend.
i agree

i dont think its the same beer and i think its a move in the right direction, except for the packaging

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

It's a move in the right direction for a hefe to taste LESS estery? WTF?

You guys just made the beer sound like its been tweaked for the worse.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

mintjellie wrote:It's a move in the right direction for a hefe to taste LESS estery? WTF?

I read the posts above three times and I still can't find where you read that.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

strowlands8

Post by strowlands8 »

Blankboy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:It's a move in the right direction for a hefe to taste LESS estery? WTF?

I read the posts above three times and I still can't find where you read that.
The Banana flavours come from esters, I believe.

TJ

Post by TJ »

To clarify:

- I like this version better than the canned version. Whether it's more or less of a hefe is not a debate I care to enter. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that other people prefer the canned version. Taste is subjective like that.

- I like the direction Muskoka is taking brewing big-bottled seasonals rather than having a core lineup of pedestrian offerings, while fully understanding the reasons why others dislike the change.

- The vintage dating is just plain goofy

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

strowlands8 wrote:The Banana flavours come from esters, I believe.
The least amount of banana in my Hefeweizen the better.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blankboy wrote:
strowlands8 wrote:The Banana flavours come from esters, I believe.
The least amount of banana in my Hefeweizen the better.
I get what you mean. A friendly point of debate: I always think it's more about the balance and/or dominance of flavors in a beverage than the 'amount' of any one flavor. A strong sweet banana note may be cloying out there all on its own, but if (for your or my taste) there's a nice countering lemon citrus and the right amount of clove vanilla and bubblegum the same 'amount' of banana flavor might be less apparent and way more appealing in the balance.

It works exactly like the perceived impressions of dryness, fruit, tannin, and alcohol in wine. Too much of anything wrecks the party. Hefeweizen to me is a fascinating & almost frustrating style of beer because the 'perfect' one is so elusive. And thanks for letting me be opinionated! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The more banana the better. The more bubblegum the better. Different strokes, I suppose.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Jaysus - what's the fuss? I just bought one for the grand sum of $5.95

Value.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."