Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Unicorn Ale American Style Barrel Aged Barleywine

Wow.

The extra conditioning has transformed this brew from quite good to really great. There's a light wood flavour with plenty of vanilla. The earthy bitterness has mellowed and allowed the dark fruit, citrus & pine to really shine through. The first whiff of aroma has more beery essence than an entire bottle of some macro's.

It's not as brash (as the unoaked version), but still gives the tongue a light whipping to announce that this is indeed a serious barley wine.

Well done.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Streets wrote:And from the other weekend, Blood Orange Heffe home brew thanks to another member here!
Just cracked mine after a back breaking day. Good stuff! Nice and refreshing - just what I needed. It won't last long! Maybe I'll give my own latest batch another try when I have dinner - haven't had one for a couple weeks now. I hope it's gotten better.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Sherbrooke/Alley Kat "Single Star" Jack Danielstm barrel aged oatmeal stout.............Jeez, that's a bloody mouthfull :P

Boy, the JD totally overwhelms the beer.........kinda gives it a whole JD & Coke flavour. Not sure if I like it or not.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:Sherbrooke/Alley Kat "Single Star" Jack Danielstm barrel aged oatmeal stout.............Jeez, that's a bloody mouthfull :P

Boy, the JD totally overwhelms the beer.........kinda gives it a whole JD & Coke flavour. Not sure if I like it or not.
Pretty shocking that an American barrel-aged beer would kinda suck. Nope, just because it's got oak or put in a re-purposed barrel that doesn't make a beer great.

Still some of them shine. Goose Bourbon County, the original is a total winner.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

One year aged Grand River Russian Gun.

Possibly the lightest imperial stout I've ever had. Good effort at least.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Sherbrooke/Alley Kat "Single Star" Jack Danielstm barrel aged oatmeal stout.............Jeez, that's a bloody mouthfull :P

Pretty shocking that an American barrel-aged beer would kinda suck. Nope, just because it's got oak or put in a re-purposed barrel that doesn't make a beer great.

Still some of them shine. Goose Bourbon County, the original is a total winner.
This is the 2nd Whisky barrel aged beer I've had from Sherbrooke/Alley Kat and neither of them are outstanding or really that drinkable. Still, they are trying.....................very trying.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion Almost Pale Ale

This beer has improved substantially since it was first released and is now one of the better APAs available in Ontario. Lots of grassy, floral, citrusy, and fruity hops on the nose and palate with a balancing caramel sweetness, slight trace of diacetyl, and some tea-like flavours from the malts. Body and mouthfeel seem beefed up as well, the hops are more juicy, punchy, and resinous than before. Great thirst-quenching ale.

If you were put off by the relatively hop-less version released in 2009, give this another shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I now prefer Hoptical over Duggan's #9, Black Oak Pale, and Tankhouse.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Fish Brewing "Swordfish" Double Cascadian Dark Ale. One of the better Cascadian's I've tried. Lovely citrus, piney, hop aroma and this comes across in the flavour too. Great sweet & roasty malt mixed in with the hops giving an overall smoothly bittersweet/roasted end to this beer.

This was bottled March 2011, so it's pretty fresh as well.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Alcohol free for days now due to birding adventures, but will probably have a few tonight before getting back to the birding grind till the end of May.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

cratez wrote: If you were put off by the relatively hop-less version released in 2009, give this another shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I now prefer Hoptical over Duggan's #9, Black Oak Pale, and Tankhouse.
Yes I was, and in that case, I think I'll try it again.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Alcohol free for days now due to birding adventures, but will probably have a few tonight before getting back to the birding grind till the end of May.

Where did you spot the Pacific Loon? I wish I had the time/binoculars to do some serious birding. Your recent birding ticks have been making me nostalgic.

Tonight at the Brain with Streets and electroluminescent:
Mill Gap Bitter
Aventinus
Maclean Pale Ale (first time having it in the bottle)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cale wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Alcohol free for days now due to birding adventures, but will probably have a few tonight before getting back to the birding grind till the end of May.

Where did you spot the Pacific Loon? I wish I had the time/binoculars to do some serious birding. Your recent birding ticks have been making me nostalgic.

Tonight at the Brain with Streets and electroluminescent:
Mill Gap Bitter
Aventinus
Maclean Pale Ale (first time having it in the bottle)
Cale, Did you used to do a lot of birding?

The Pacific Loon was at Pelee National Park. It has been seen regularly off the tip in the morning, and then it heads near northwest beach and can be seen (usually with a scope) off the beach. You'd be looking for a small Loon, about half the size of a Common Loon, and the bird shows a black chinstrap(or necklace) whereas the Common does not show the chinstrap and has white around the eye.

We got about 120 species on our trip, with highlights being:

Pacific Loon
Cerulean Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Black Tern
Wilson's Phalarope
Long-billed Dowitcher
Black Scoter
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Acadian Flycatcher

And a few more. We noted a sub-adult Northern Goshawk in the park as well, and we also found a Great Horned Owl nest, which still had unfledged young.

Birding is awesome.

Back for two days now, and then I am gone again for more birding.

Drink a beer for me!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Streets

Post by Streets »

I sat at the corner and had:

Sam Adams Noble Pilsner - bottle
Mill Street Cobblestone Stout - draught
Dead Elephant - draught

Evidently it was knitting night at The Brain; and me without my needles!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Cale, Did you used to do a lot of birding?
I did indeed! My grandparents got me into it originally. I've gone on many outings along the Golden Horseshoe, Niagara, and down to Long Point. Never got the chance to go on more serious birding trips. These days I just bring my Sibley guide along with hikes, camping, to the cottage, etc. Maybe one of the days I'll get back into it!

strowlands8

Post by strowlands8 »

Devil's Pale Ale.

In reference to above, I now prefer this to Hoptical Illusion, Black Oak Pale and Tankhouse. It really has become something great in my opinion.