Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington Ce' Da Bitter Blue

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Wellington Ce' Da Bitter Blue

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Here is my review

20 oz pint at "Over the Hop", featured by the APK LIVE. A dark and slightly hazed copper with absolutely no head to speak of. Quite fruity nose of blueberry/mixed berry, alongside caramel, and floral hops. Sweet, mildly bitter and zesty. No carbonation at all. LIke drinking water. Medium light bodied, lengthy fruity and zesty hop finish. WOuld be great if it were carbonated.

2.8/5
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

i had the same problem with their canned IPA one-off. seemed like it would have been good if it was at all carbonated.

if anyone wants some of this (in the St Catharines area) I will be at the brewery on Sunday and would be willing to do a trade.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Had it on cask today while taking a tour of wellington. Also bought some cans. The cask was awesome. Tastes as advertised with a balance malt and hop flavors. The cans I had tonight were flat also. Good stuff though. i wasnt sure going into it but it won me over. I look forward to there other one offs if i can make it back sometime.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I had it today as well. I was not as impressed. The blueberry flavour was underwhelming, took a couple sips before i could even taste it. On the other hand, that Black IPA was awesome.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I think that is one of the thing i liked about the beer. It was a fruit beer without shouting it outloud. I hate when fruit beers taste like coolers. The cedar also worked well with the blueberry flavor.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

My impression was similar to Len's as the two of us sampled and discussed the beer with Aaron Brown and Chris Dynes at the Over The Hop event. Here's my review on Beer Advocate:

C+ / 3.25 rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Cask at the Wellington "Over The Hop" event at APK Live in London, ON. Pours a hazy reddish brown with dark edges, no head, and zero lacing. An underwhelming appearance. Smell and taste are mixed berry purée, perfume, floral hops, mild cedar notes, caramel and brown sugar sweetness, fruity and tangy spiciness, lasting bitter finish. Slick, watery, and under-carbonated body gives the beer a lighter than medium mouthfeel. A mixed bag here, as the flavours are well-integrated and better than I expected, and the berry element doesn't overwhelm, but it needs more carbonation. I'm guessing the cask was either poorly handled (tapped?) by the bar, or the brewery messed something up when racking the beer into the firkin. Whatever the case, I was left disappointed. While it was great to see this debut in London, next time I'd like to enjoy a properly carbonated brew.
Last edited by cratez on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Must have got a bad cask, as I got not blueberry taste or aroma, maybe a hint of cedar chips. Big disappointment. But please keep on trying Wellington, I'm loving the whole Welly One Off series, and love the new enthusiasm coming out of the brewery!!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

jimmay wrote: I got no blueberry taste or aroma.
Neither did I. It was more of a faint and 'general' mixed berry aroma, rather than blueberry in particular. It's unfortunate that they screwed up the carbonation so much - given the pleasant flavours and aromas, it could've easily been a good or even excellent beer. And like you said, one bad apple doesn't mean they shouldn't continue making more interesting brews.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
jimmay wrote: I got no blueberry taste or aroma.
Neither did I. It was more of a faint and 'general' mixed berry aroma, rather than blueberry in particular. It's unfortunate that they screwed up the carbonation so much - given the pleasant flavours and aromas, it could've easily been a good or even excellent beer. And like you said, one bad apple doesn't mean they shouldn't continue making more interesting brews.
Agree.

If the carbon was right , it would have easily been in the 3.5-3.6 range for me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Got the last cans at the brewery last weekend and pretty much agree with most of the comments. Got a little bit of cedar and no blueberry. It was okay as it was, but would have been a winner with even minimal carbonation.