Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

And this is why...

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thank you for posting that article,Steve.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

I keep forgetting why the Wine Rack is allowed to exist, good to have this reminder.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Not to sound like a hippie capitalist (oxymoron?), but why can't we just all get along and let the best products win? Why is it SO wrong to create a level playing field for these products to be sold AND allow the tax man to get his "fair share"? In theory locally produced products would have a competitive price point due to the lower costs of shipping and storage, but Stone and Sierra Nevada would command a higher price, a price many would be more than happy to pay.

Perhaps someone more 'plugged in' than I could provide some feedback, but has their been any feedback from the United States Brewer's Association regarding these liberalization rumblings? I mean surely american craft brewers would want to get their products into an Ontario Market especially if they could in some way side-step the byzantine LCBO process to a degree.

I really don't understand why this is such a political hot potato?! Is it really all MADD and the union's fault? I honestly find that a hard pill to swallow. Or is it because politicians just don't want to get embroiled in policy that would appear to be seen as 'promoting drinking'? Again, i find that hard to believe. Or is it something so simple as craft beer is just an issue that isn't worth spending the necessary political capital when there are bigger fish to fry.

But then again, I could just be smoking crack.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

dutchcanuck wrote:Not to sound like a hippie capitalist (oxymoron?), but why can't we just all get along and let the best products win? Why is it SO wrong to create a level playing field for these products to be sold AND allow the tax man to get his "fair share"?
Choir, preacher. Preacher, choir.

But seriously, there are several reasons the system doesn't change, among them the strength of the unions, the power of the big breweries, the revenues generated for the government by the Beer Store and LCBO, and the so-called "social responsibility" contingent, including MADD and others.

The biggest and deciding factor may surprise you, though: the lack of demand! Honestly, there is just no strong movement or even general interest among Ontarians to see the system altered, and with nothing to push the government, they have no reason to go down that path. Several years ago, when the Liberals received and summarily dismissed a report they commissioned on the revamping of alcohol sales in the province, I was on a phone-in show on the CBC. Caller after caller agreed that things were pretty fine the way they are and saw no need for change.

We're a conservative lot, we are.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

That makes me a sad panda :'(

And I know I'm pretty guilty as well. Before I became a craft beer drinker I thought the LCBO was "just fine" but hated the idea that the beer store is owned by foreign conglomerates. However, the moment that i started quality beer I found the selection quite lacking. Now I have turned to homebrew to satisfy my palette because the "selection" such as it is really is underwhelming. Some jewels to float through the system and I pick them up, but someone really does need to shake the system up.

I might even switch my NDP or green vote, to a conservative vote, if that was a major plank in Hudak's election campaign. I have grown weary of this Nanny state when it comes to alcohol.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

dutchcanuck wrote:I might even switch my NDP or green vote, to a conservative vote, if that was a major plank in Hudak's election campaign. I have grown weary of this Nanny state when it comes to alcohol.
Seriously? Can I buy your vote for $1? Regardless of what you think of the parties involved, switching your vote solely on the basis of alcohol seems... short sighted.

Stephen - I am not at all surprised that the poll turned out that way. Other than connoisseurs looking for better tipples cheaper, most people are happy with the way it is. Most are used to having to go to TBS/LCBO and don't think it's that big a deal. (Just buy TWO 2-4s while you're there and save yourself a trip, easy enough right?)

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I have been known to vote for a party due to specific planks of policy. I also find a big difference in voting once for a party and voting for them consistently. IN my opinion, how bad could the conservatives be after the past liberal years?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

dutchcanuck wrote:I have been known to vote for a party due to specific planks of policy. I also find a big difference in voting once for a party and voting for them consistently. IN my opinion, how bad could the conservatives be after the past liberal years?
Do you not remember the man who couldn't hack it as teacher, so decided to get into politics?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

With that line of argument Bob ruined the NDP, Dalton ruined the Liberals, and Mike ruined the Cons, I guess its time to give the Greens a go.

I know I won't get fooled again, meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

icemachine wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:I have been known to vote for a party due to specific planks of policy. I also find a big difference in voting once for a party and voting for them consistently. IN my opinion, how bad could the conservatives be after the past liberal years?
Do you not remember the man who couldn't hack it as teacher, so decided to get into politics?
Just as things could always be better, things could also be much much worse.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Regardless of what you think of the parties involved, switching your vote solely on the basis of alcohol seems... short sighted.
And that's why there is no motivation for the governing party to change anything with regards to the LCBO or alcohol issues in general. Even electorally insignificant Bartowellers won't change their vote so why change anything? It's a peripheral issue to just about everybody whose livelihood is not directly affected.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I can't see anyone opening up the market any time soon because of the revenue stream generated by the LCBO over and above the taxes. Coming just on the other side of a recession and cost-cutting measures still being necessary, how could they afford to give up the revenue? Really, unless someone is elected who is ideologically committed to privatization, I don't think we'll see LCBO competition any time soon IMO.

I think most people care about deficits more than they do what beers are available. I know I do.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Philip1 wrote:
Regardless of what you think of the parties involved, switching your vote solely on the basis of alcohol seems... short sighted.
And that's why there is no motivation for the governing party to change... It's a peripheral issue to just about everybody whose livelihood is not directly affected.
As it should be frankly... While I am passionate about beer I don't think it even makes the top 20 list of things I want politicians to be worrying about.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:
Philip1 wrote:
And that's why there is no motivation for the governing party to change... It's a peripheral issue to just about everybody whose livelihood is not directly affected.
As it should be frankly... While I am passionate about beer I don't think it even makes the top 20 list of things I want politicians to be worrying about.

Agreed. I submit that mainly weirdos consider beer an election issue.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!