Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beers your significant others like

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Beers your significant others like

Post by sprague11 »

Since we've been dating (and are fairly newlywed) I've been exposing my wife to the various beer I've been picking up in my travels. She grew up in the Philippines and hates San Miguel Beer and beer in general, but she's tried a few bottles with mixed results.

Hates:
Barley Wine
Most IPA's and Double IPA's
Stone Ruination
Guinness
All stouts save for Winter Beard
Porters
Anything barrel aged

Half Pints Phils Pils
Surly Hell
King Pilsner
Weihenstephaner Weiss
Reisdorf Kolsch
Ithica Flower Power (but never finishes an entire bottle)

Loves
Ommegang Zuur
Blanche de Chambly
Liefmann Cuvee Brut
Saison Dupont
Hopfenstark's Saisons

Wondering what everyone elses significant others will/won't drink.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Mine mainly likes porters, stouts (including imperial stouts). She doesn't like hoppy beers at all and won't drink anything hoppier than a pilsner.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

She started out drinking stuff like Mill Street Organic and Wychwood Fiddler's Elbow. Now she's a crazed hop head who will drink all my IPAs/APAs if I'm not careful. Bitterness is not an issue.

The only beers she's not really a fan of are Belgians and wheats - and anything that's noticeably boozy. She also tends to stay away from paler lagers. There are always exceptions though.

It is nice to always have someone who will enthusiastically go out to the bar, or to various festivals, other events, etc. She'll even be attending the Grand River tasting on Valentines with me (as well as the rest of them).

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Coors Light.

And I'm okay with that.

I have a buddy who kept getting his wife to "just try" the beer he was drinking, and now she loves everything. And now whenever he gets something good, he has to share.

I don't wanna share. I can't afford to share. I've got three boys playing hockey. My wife is a wonderful woman, but she drinks wine out of a box, and I like it that way.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I brought her along from hating beer because all she ever had was the shitty macro stuff to now drinking sour lambics, Belgians, Church Key Lactese Falcon, saisons, porters, stouts, etc. She actually drinks more beer styles than I do and usually higher alcohol ones too.
lister

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

My wife's standby (and probably favourite beer) is Steamwhistle...and that's pretty cool. I think it's the first good beer she ever really liked.

She likes a lot of the more fruity Belgians - wits, blondes, etc.

Her new favourite though has recently been milds and brown ales. And she's recently really liked Tree Hop Head as a go to with dinner. She's pretty eclectic.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The wife likes everything I brew. I am so damn lucky!

As for styles, she likes big IPAs, some stouts, stronger brown ales/peculiars and German wheats.

The only thing she does that I find gross is that she happily drinks from a bottle. She likes her beer a bit colder and claims pouring it out warms it up too much. Even though that's the point we compromise and we keep cold glasses in the freezer for her.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

My wife doesn't drink, but will always have a mouthful of every beer I have.

To date, her absolute favourite is Ten Fiddy.

She quite liked Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus & Lindemans Cuvee. The sour ales appeal as she does like cider.

Anything light, hoppy & bitter gets a big thumbs down and a nasty looking face.

Anything 10%+ and she's kinda happy. She'll never drink a half pint, let alone a full, but the sweetness & alcohol warmth 'please' her :wink:

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

My wife would kill everyone in this room for a drop of Huma-Lupa-Licious :wink:

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Sadly, my wife loves ST-Bernadus 12, Rochefort 10's, Rigor Mortis ABT and Westys.

Cool cause I can use the joint bank account to buy cases of those, but sadly in the sense it tends to disappear faster than Kessel against a physical team.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

iguenard wrote: it tends to disappear faster than Kessel against a physical team.
That hurts...but it's true...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ontbeermaker

Post by ontbeermaker »

muskoka summer weiss

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Kinda happy my wife isn't a big beer drinker. More of a spiced rum/Gin lady.

But I opened a Lindeman's Kriek and she got a whiff and I never ended up getting a sip. So I bought her a case to drink at her leisure.

She puts up with my obsessions, which are many. But I take care of her drinking needs with new martini's for her.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

My wife loves Mort Subite Kriek and Lindemans Kriek. She also just discovered Ephemere Cassis and in the past has showed an affinity for Belgian blonde ales.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

My wife loves good brown ales, porters and stouts of all kinds, but nothing overly bitter. Shared some Sellout Stout with her last week and she is still raving about it. She likes Oktoberfests, Dunkels and Bocks too.

She will drink "balanced" pale ales, IPAs and DIPAs. They can be bitter as long as there is a supporting juicy hop flavour and aroma.

She likes witbiers, not crazy about hefeweizen. She isn't crazy about the stronger belgians, barleywines and doppelbocks unless the booze is well hidden.

She has her own section of the beer fridge, and comes with me to beer stores, brewpubs and breweries. She has developed a very good palette, and she won't hold back her opinion, which is helpful when I need feedback on my own brews.

We are now starting to explore the world of whiskey too!

It is a lot of fun to share a hobby together, and we both have the same respect and responsibility towards alcohol consumption which is nice. I am rather surprised by the couple posters that are bothered by their wife's beer appreciation, or those who like that their wife won't drink beer.