Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

APPARENTLY (and that's because they said so on Bookface), this is simply their Hefe rebranded and put in a big bottle. They're discontinuing the cans and putting it out as a summer seasonal because that's when the majority of it sold. AFAIK.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

velovampire wrote:APPARENTLY (and that's because they said so on Bookface), this is simply their Hefe rebranded and put in a big bottle. They're discontinuing the cans and putting it out as a summer seasonal because that's when the majority of it sold. AFAIK.
That's too bad - but according to Facebook they also have a new beer coming out sometime in May, as well as a recently started series of one-offs which sounds like it'll be released in April. Doesn't look like there's any specifics on the beers themselves, but it's promising news.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Cale wrote: According to Facebook they also have a new beer coming out sometime in May...Doesn't look like there's any specifics on the beers themselves, but it's promising news.
At the Gambrinus Meet & Greet in January the reps said the new beer will be an IPA, and it will also be part of their core lineup. Given the conservative nature of their staple brands I'm guessing it'll be an English-style IPA, though hopefully not.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

cratez wrote: At the Gambrinus Meet & Greet in January the reps said the new beer will be an IPA, and it will also be part of their core lineup. Given the conservative nature of their staple brands I'm guessing it'll be an English-style IPA, though hopefully not.
Given the hoppyness and I think successful sales (?) of the Harvest Ale I'd actually be surprised if it wasn't a fairly hoppy brew. We shall see!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ugh. I much prefer the hefe in cans. It's much more convenient and not so much beer. I usually bounce between Denison's and Muskoka. Oh well. No more Muskoka for me.
lister

TJ

Post by TJ »

lister wrote:Ugh. I much prefer the hefe in cans. It's much more convenient and not so much beer. I usually bounce between Denison's and Muskoka. Oh well. No more Muskoka for me.
Agreed. I saw some of the Summer Weiss in Pickering when I went to grab more Double Hophead, so I grabbed a pair, and I'm much less excited if it's not going to me much different than their regular hefe. Oh well.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The summer weiss is different from the Hefe, I think they've gone with more late hopping.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lots here at my store, and I've got a bottle on hold for tonight. $5.95 is a good price too!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

icemachine wrote:The summer weiss is different from the Hefe, I think they've gone with more late hopping.
Are you saying this based on taste or a conversation with the brewery?

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Lots here at my store, and I've got a bottle on hold for tonight. $5.95 is a good price too!
Lots of what? Is it a weisse or an IPA?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JerCraigs wrote:
icemachine wrote:The summer weiss is different from the Hefe, I think they've gone with more late hopping.
Are you saying this based on taste or a conversation with the brewery?
Jer, I know you weren't asking me, but this is direct from Muskoka's FB:

"Muskoka Cottage Brewery:
Summer Weiss is Now Available at the Brewery Retail Store!! Be the
First to Try Our Newest Seasonal!!

Liam Tryon: when will it be hitting LCBOs?

Matthew G. Elbertsen: is it any differnt from your hefe weizen you did in the past??

Brian J. Papineau: Is this why I can't find any hefe-weizen? is it the same beer?

Muskoka Cottage Brewery: Indeed. The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer."

Emphasis mine.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The_Jester wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Lots here at my store, and I've got a bottle on hold for tonight. $5.95 is a good price too!
Lots of what? Is it a weisse or an IPA?

Weisse.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I had read an online account describing the hopping as being different from the original Hefe-Weiss. Perhaps that's been shelved now they are no longer going with cans of the original. A shame as I would rather have the cans of this than the swingtop bottle.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

icemachine wrote:I had read an online account describing the hopping as being different from the original Hefe-Weiss. Perhaps that's been shelved now they are no longer going with cans of the original. A shame as I would rather have the cans of this than the swingtop bottle.
I gotta agree with this. A 750 mL swingtop is just not the correct delivery vehicle for either a weisse or a summer beer. I generally grab a case or two of the weisse every summer, for on the dock. But docks and oversized bottles don't go together well. You'd think that a brewery in Bracebridge would realize this. I can't see this helping their bottom line.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Fuck, this is a scam. I bought a couple bottles tonight thinking it was a "new release".
What a complete pile of horsefeathers. This is the regular Muskoka Hefe in a silly bottle with vintage dating, for more money.
They are calling it a new seasonal, which is a complete pile of shit. Yes it may be new as a seasonal, but it is not a new beer. Equivocating is not a good advertising practice boys.
Why would you change the name of a staple beer, put it in a silly bottle, and charge more for it? I know why. It is because we are idiots and we will buy anything in a silly bottle with vintage dating.
Sorry, but this is a low point for this brewery.