Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo(Village Beer Merchant)

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:
I've had a couple of the Queentston customs agents actually ask me if i;d recommend what I was bringing back.

When I loaded up on Yulesmith last year, I told them I had 10 bottles (which I did - 10 bombers) at 75 dollars. the gentleman at CDN customs actualy said "You probably paid enough" and let me go without paying a cent in taxes, so occasionally you do get lucky. ;)

Where did you buy Alesmith?

Also, same experience - customs agent checking the trunk - "anything decent?" - we discussed the one bottle he really looked at, and where he could buy the 'good' stuff. People really don't know!

<> 180 dollar purchase (23 bottles) cost <> $40 in border taxes, based solely on the purchase cost - obviously to them these additional taxes are three times what 24 beer normally costs, so they almost felt bad for just doing ther job.

They don't go all-out on the exact volume and ABV of everything, which they of course have the right to do in any case. It's the alcohol equivalent of 50 to 60 normal beers so I guess paying a little is only fair.

An Americal taxes rebate would still be nice though, since as visiting Canadians we have to pay double taxes. But whatever. :D
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
sprague11 wrote:
I've had a couple of the Queentston customs agents actually ask me if i;d recommend what I was bringing back.

When I loaded up on Yulesmith last year, I told them I had 10 bottles (which I did - 10 bombers) at 75 dollars. the gentleman at CDN customs actualy said "You probably paid enough" and let me go without paying a cent in taxes, so occasionally you do get lucky. ;)

Where did you buy Alesmith?

When I was at Village Beer yesterday they had a few bombers of Yulesmith. Foolishly I didn't buy any presuming it was from Christmas, yet now I read that they make it in the summer too.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39 ... pr&start=0

F*** it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ahh one of us here will snag it! We can trade if you want to.
In Beerum Veritas

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

a friendly note:

DO NOT BUY THE YULESMITH IN BUFFALO.

It's really old. Years old. We in Buffalo got the stock that wouldn't sell in NYC in 2007 or so & it's been around since.

All Yulesmith in Buffalo is this old stock. So unless you want an aged hoppy beer, avoid.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

rudolf wrote:a friendly note:

DO NOT BUY THE YULESMITH IN BUFFALO.

It's really old. Years old. We in Buffalo got the stock that wouldn't sell in NYC in 2007 or so & it's been around since.

All Yulesmith in Buffalo is this old stock. So unless you want an aged hoppy beer, avoid.
Thanks for the heads up - looks like a dodged an expensive bullet there!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

yes, go to a male border guard if you can

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have a bit of a jonesin' to try Alesmith, FFF, Bells and Founders, and all those elusive USA brews so if anything GOOD (and not stale) shows up in the region, it would be really cool to of someone post a note here!

PS am I having an LSD flashback when I look at the price of Rogue Ceramic 750mls?? I think I will leave those fancy-pants Rogue beers to chance findings on draught - or else a definite shared tasting, because I won't waste one of those Ceramics all on me LOL.
In Beerum Veritas