Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Fuck, this is a scam. I bought a couple bottles tonight thinking it was a "new release".
What a complete pile of horsefeathers. This is the regular Muskoka Hefe in a silly bottle with vintage dating, for more money.
They are calling it a new seasonal, which is a complete pile of shit. Yes it may be new as a seasonal, but it is not a new beer. Equivocating is not a good advertising practice boys.
Why would you change the name of a staple beer, put it in a silly bottle, and charge more for it? I know why. It is because we are idiots and we will buy anything in a silly bottle with vintage dating.
Sorry, but this is a low point for this brewery.
for the record its not the same beer. it is a different recipe based off their original hefe.

totally agree that the packaging and price is way off for this product though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Appreciate Len"s candor here. Agree it's a silly format, when the tall cans are just way more practical for this style beer.

Good thing I like Denisons Weisse. And the Schneider stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

velovampire wrote: Muskoka Cottage Brewery: Indeed. The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer."
Thanks. I think its interesting that people in this thread seem to want it to be different, and to know if its been changed/tweaked whatever you want to call it. Meanwhile the broader public probably doesn't care, they just want to know if they can still find the beer they liked.

I like the big bottles but I'd probably buy more of it in the 500 mL cans personally. Apparently though there is lots of studies that show people like to have big bottles for sharing a la wine, and this packaging is pretty fancy pants from that perspective. I expect that Muskoka will see if it sells better or worse in this format and future releases will be a reflection of that!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Fuck, this is a scam. I bought a couple bottles tonight thinking it was a "new release".
What a complete pile of horsefeathers. This is the regular Muskoka Hefe in a silly bottle with vintage dating, for more money.
They are calling it a new seasonal, which is a complete pile of shit. Yes it may be new as a seasonal, but it is not a new beer. Equivocating is not a good advertising practice boys.
Why would you change the name of a staple beer, put it in a silly bottle, and charge more for it? I know why. It is because we are idiots and we will buy anything in a silly bottle with vintage dating.
Sorry, but this is a low point for this brewery.
for the record its not the same beer. it is a different recipe based off their original hefe.
Well it tastes EXACTLY the same then.

And how do you explain this quote from the people at the brewery?

"Indeed. The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer".

I say it is the same beer based on that and what I tasted in my glass last night.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:Thanks. I think its interesting that people in this thread seem to want it to be different, and to know if its been changed/tweaked whatever you want to call it. Meanwhile the broader public probably doesn't care...
But those are just truisms. Although you're kind of stating the obvious Jer maybe you've also hit on something - that this IS exactly the situation with Muskoka. Although their pretensions of 'new' product would go over better with something tangible to back it up - that's not a crazy thing to expect.

Whatever. I'd just like their Harvest Ale back this fall, it's nice!
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:
velovampire wrote: Muskoka Cottage Brewery: Indeed. The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer."
Thanks. I think its interesting that people in this thread seem to want it to be different, and to know if its been changed/tweaked whatever you want to call it. Meanwhile the broader public probably doesn't care, they just want to know if they can still find the beer they liked.
But we are members of the broader public.
You and I are the consumer, Jer. A certain type of consumer, but consumers all the same. When a company comes out with "new" and "seasonal" offerings, and release the product on what I believe to be false pretenses, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after talking to the reps at the met and greet here and being told something completely different.

The Musokoa Weisse is fantastic. One of my favourites. Keep it in the cams and keep it year round. Don't play silly games with names, availability, and formats, and then increase the price.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Gotta agree with Len here - whatever tweaks they made, I can't taste them. Just seems like regular Muskoka Hef in a much more inconvenient format for more money. It's still a good drink, but at this price point I'll stick with Dennison's or hunt it down on tap.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Really?

It's been a while since I've had the original (which is great), but I absolutely loved this one!

I'd guess they were going for something like the Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse, but it's not nearly as big or hoppy... it's very drinkable, with a light citrus note that really works.

The 750ml went down WAY too easy at the end of a travel day. Thanks for grabbing them from the back Len!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:Really?

It's been a while since I've had the original (which is great), but I absolutely loved this one!

I'd guess they were going for something like the Schneider Wiesen Edel-Weisse, but it's not nearly as big or hoppy... it's very drinkable, with a light citrus note that really works.

The 750ml went down WAY too easy at the end of a travel day. Thanks for grabbing them from the back Len!

You are welcome my friend!

There is no doubt this is a super beer. As you know, Hefe is my favourite style. One that is close to my heart. I'm usually really picky with them. I simply do not taste any difference between the normal Weisse and this new Summer Weisse. Perhaps it is a tough dryer from some additional hopping, but even that is debatable.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Derek wrote:Really?

You are welcome my friend!

There is no doubt this is a super beer. As you know, Hefe is my favourite style. One that is close to my heart. I'm usually really picky with them. I simply do not taste any difference between the normal Weisse and this new Summer Weisse. Perhaps it is a tough dryer from some additional hopping, but even that is debatable.
the canned muskoka hefe always came off as quite heavy to me. it certainly wasnt something i could session and the last time i had it (as part of the muskoka tasters pack last summer) i had to dump about half the can.

the summer weisse seemed lighter bodied and dryer then the canned hefe, i thought it was a touch hoppier as well.

granted this wasnt a regular drinker for me but i prefer the beer i had from the 750ml bottle of summer weisse more then any can of the hefe i ever had.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Keep it in the cams and keep it year round. Don't play silly games with names, availability, and formats, and then increase the price.
Len, they said why they aren't keeping it year-round:
The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer.
I wouldn't be surprised if their Hefe sold for shit in the winter, this makes sense to me. They are doing the same with their Pilsner (which I prefer).
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Blankboy wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if their Hefe sold for shit in the winter, this makes sense to me. They are doing the same with their Pilsner (which I prefer).
It makes sense to have the hefe as a seasonal but no sense on the format. I'm guessing they've made some good coin on the seasonal releases in that large bottle and want to continue that with the hefe. Meh, no $$$ from me. Keep it in the can format, slap a special label on it or do a whole new can for it. I don't usually wish ill-will on any microbrewery (except for Trafalgar) but I hope this particular seasonal does poorly.
lister

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Though I prefer the can I fail to see the problem with a 750ml bottle. It's certainly not too much beer to consume once open, it's less then 2 cans and it's a Hefe, it's not like you have to drink 750ml of a 12% Barley Wine. Also, if the price is right it can be good value as well. Do we know what they are charging for it?
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Blankboy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Keep it in the cams and keep it year round. Don't play silly games with names, availability, and formats, and then increase the price.
Len, they said why they aren't keeping it year-round:
The beer has moved to a seasonal as a large bulk of sales for that brand were in the summer
Hey Paul,

I do know why they are doing it. I understand that. Besides that, it is a fantastic beer. What I have an issues with the whole "new seasonal" branding. It seems sneaky and underhanded to me.
Basically, I see it this way...

They are taking a core brand, putting it in a new fancy bottle, changing the name, and increasing the cost, all the while pretending it is a new beer.
Look, this sort of thing pisses me off, so I guess I just over react. But it is my opinion and I am entitled to it, and I respect other may not agree with me (most usually don't). I don't care. I've never been shy or afraid to say what is on my mind.

I have no issue with any beer in a 750 ml format. ANyone that thinks that is too much beer maybe should find another hobby. I can drink with the best of em and I'll rock full 20 oz pints of 12 % Barleywine if I have to. :)

2X 473 ml cans of Muskoka Hefe at $2.65 a can = $5.30 for 946 ml

1 X 750 ml bottle of Summer Weisse at $5.95 a bottle = Less beer for more money. I don't think those bottles help the price point either.

Sorry, I'm just not interested.
This is like when I go to a restaurant and they charge me a quarter for mayo on a burger cause it isn't a "regular" condiment. Or when they offer me a ceasar salad with my meal, and I see on my bill that I was charged $1.50 for it, but they did not inform me of the extra cost.

Small but sneaky things like this really bother me, sorry.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

SteelbackGuy wrote:ANyone that thinks that is too much beer maybe should find another hobby.
I like my hobby. I just don't like drinking too much of the same beer unless it's a favourite seasonal.
lister