Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2012 Winter Craft Seasonal Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:I wonder how many of these beers never make it to the lcbo.. like the rogue pumpkin or the witches brew triple from the holloween release
Don't forget the LTM Oktoberfest...aparently they are all still coming out though.

also the LTM Weizenbock is on shelves now at some stores, I know its at yonge and eg and should be around the GTA now as well.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

oddly enough I saw the LTM on the lcbo website today - in stock http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=308924

does this mean there still any hope for the rogue and the witches?
PeenSteen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I wonder how many of these beers never make it to the lcbo.. like the rogue pumpkin or the witches brew triple from the holloween release
Don't forget the LTM Oktoberfest...aparently they are all still coming out though.

also the LTM Weizenbock is on shelves now at some stores, I know its at yonge and eg and should be around the GTA now as well.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Toronto Life's wrap-up of the release (plus others from the holiday release): http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily- ... -releases/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout now in stock..

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

spinrsx wrote:Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout now in stock..
woot! now I just need to wait for it to hit Markham and I can officially do my 10 year vertical!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

grub wrote: 10 year vertical!

:o
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
woot! now I just need to wait for it to hit Markham and I can officially do my 10 year vertical!
not sure what the old ones tasted like, but i bought 1 of these (accidentally) in Buffalo and drank it a week ago. tastes like a hot tripel instead of a stout. was weird

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:
grub wrote:
not sure what the old ones tasted like, but i bought 1 of these (accidentally) in Buffalo and drank it a week ago. tastes like a hot tripel instead of a stout. was weird
yeah, this is sort of an accidental vertical... keep forgetting to (or not getting around to) drinking it and then there's another year. I find BCS to be to be fairly hot/harsh when fresh and it's _really_ good with 2-3 years age, but have yet to taste anything older. should be neat.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:I find BCS to be to be fairly hot/harsh when fresh and it's _really_ good with 2-3 years age, but have yet to taste anything older. should be neat.
i never know what to think about hot beer. was it a brewing faux pas? i mean, why sell something that's swill upon sale?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:i never know what to think about hot beer. was it a brewing faux pas? i mean, why sell something that's swill upon sale?
it's an interesting debate. I don't think anyone aims to sell things that are "swill" upon release. some like the harsh early stages (and I'll admit i do, at least in some styles). aging isn't really exact, so it's not like a brewer can just hold on to everything for 2 years until it's "right" (ignoring the obvious storage and cost involved). I enjoy having the ability to try things at different stages and would miss out on that if people tried to do this.

on the other hand, I've had some beers (dark lord in particular) where they are released at point X (late april) and the brewer tells you they won't be "ready" to drink until point Y (late november)... in that case, I do think there's some degree of fault on their part and they shouldn't release it until it's "ready"... but again, lots of folks like the brash early stages, so what can you do...

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

grub wrote: on the other hand, I've had some beers (dark lord in particular) where they are released at point X (late april) and the brewer tells you they won't be "ready" to drink until point Y (late november)... in that case, I do think there's some degree of fault on their part and they shouldn't release it until it's "ready"... but again, lots of folks like the brash early stages, so what can you do...
I agree, it's a tough trade-off. I always though it was a nice sign of restraint on Amsterdam's part to hold the bottles of Tempest for three months before releasing them so they've had a little (a very little) amount of time to get past some of the brashness. But, then again, the really fresh Russian Gun from Grand River that's around now (it was at the LCBO near me three days after bottling) was nice to taste as fresh as possible to have a point of comparison for how it will taste after a few months.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote: so it's not like a brewer can just hold on to everything for 2 years until it's "right" (ignoring the obvious storage and cost involved).
Brooklyn BCS is a great example of that, since it's cheap for what you get, and it ages for years. Nobody complains about aging Thomas Hardys at more than double cost.
grub wrote:(dark lord in particular) where they are released at point X (late april) and the brewer tells you they won't be "ready" to drink until point Y (late november)... in that case, I do think there's some degree of fault on their part and they shouldn't release it until it's "ready"...
This is just honest salesmanship. And accepted. Nearly all decent European wine, when released is presumed to need some short-term consumer cellaring (at least some months not necessarily years.) Add to this the advantage of "bottle rest" well before opening.

In other words, it's all good don't you think? So long as it's not just a rushed fermentation or a poorly-finished product ('green' beer.)
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Orkney Skull Splitter showing stock

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

spinrsx wrote:Orkney Skull Splitter showing stock
Showing as a Barley Wine?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Witches Brew Golden Tripel showing stock as well.