Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Volo - tap and food menu make-over.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

by the way....

here is what the new tap list looks like.

yeah. sit down.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:
1. freshness of beer on tap - shouldn't be a problem with a proper tap system, but they haven't increased patron capacity and have doubled their draught. therefore, it may take forever to drain certain lines
Not if we all drink twice as much! :P

Cool to see this - but what's even better is the fact that it wasn't just a one time thing. They've essentially taken their big tap take overs and made them permanent! Can't wait to check it out!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

1. freshness of beer on tap - shouldn't be a problem with a proper tap system, but they haven't increased patron capacity and have doubled their draught. therefore, it may take forever to drain certain lines
2. capacity hasn't increased but demand to go there certainly will. so it will be harder to find a table or, on some nights (especially in the winter, when the patio may be closed on some nights), to get in the bar.
Only Cafe has flourished by going to 24 tap lines. They tend to run them all out!! I've only had one 'off pour' in the last two years, and they politely dealt with it. Many times I've dropped in just because I know The Only will have at least one or two remarkable new beers.

It's remarkble for Volo have that many great taps so they'll get more walk-ins & more repeat/regular business, plus fantastic word-of-mouth. I know I'll drop by more despite a little more effort for me to get there.

It may definitely get crowded on 'those' nights, so there might be some days I don't feel like (say) spending 45 minutes ordering one beer over the deafening banter of 20-year-olds. Volo is comfortably intimate a lot of the time, but it can get tight for space! I hope it works & a kudos to them - innovate and prosper!
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah it's pretty fantastic. The only thing I would add to atomeyes' comprehensive report is that there is also a bank of six beer engines now (approximately where the old ones were) and to regularly have that many cask conditioned options will also be great.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Oops. I forgot I was not allowed to speak ill of the almighty Volo. They weren't perfect guys - deal with it.

The attitude that I should pay for both "atmosphere" (believe it or not most bars have tables you can sit at with friends) and the renovations is just ridiculous.
What I found ridiculous was your characterization of the charcuterie as "insanely overpriced". Believe it or not, Volo is not located on James St. North. Rent and other overhead at their location is going to be significant.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

midlife crisis wrote:
Oops. I forgot I was not allowed to speak ill of the almighty Volo. They weren't perfect guys - deal with it.

The attitude that I should pay for both "atmosphere" (believe it or not most bars have tables you can sit at with friends) and the renovations is just ridiculous.
What I found ridiculous was your characterization of the charcuterie as "insanely overpriced". Believe it or not, Volo is not located on James St. North. Rent and other overhead at their location is going to be significant.
Maybe some people received a different product than I did. I have no problem paying those prices or more for charcuterie plates at other places in Toronto, or anywhere else, but what I received at Volo was not worth what I paid as far as quality or quantity. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Volo get more business than every craft bar in Hamilton combined. Believe it or not I'm not just some lowly cheap Hamiltonian.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

midlife crisis wrote:

As if anyone even mentioned that Volo was located on James Street North.I'm fairly sure we know the location.

Cale's argument is valid and appropriate. Just not to people that live and breathe (worship) Bar Volo.
Can food be over priced? Yes.
Can beer be over priced? Yes.
So now that we understand that, we need to look at value.

Does it cost volo more money on average to run their bar? Likely.
Should the cost be reflected in the prices? Certainly.
Should they do their best to at least try to achieve a perception of value for the dollar? Absolutely.

I'd rather overpay a dollar or two for a bottle of cool beer, than be charged silly prices for sub par food platters. After all I am there for the BEER, and not the food.

But us Hamiltonians really know nothing because we live in a bubble. The center of the earth, and our beer bars best not be scrutinized or else we will release troops to dispatch the naysayers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

midlife crisis wrote: What I found ridiculous was your characterization of the charcuterie as "insanely overpriced". Believe it or not, Volo is not located on James St. North. Rent and other overhead at their location is going to be significant.
Damn, that made me laugh. Probably not intended to be as snarky and condesending as it came across, but pretty loaded with subtext. Seriously, that made my morning.

Unbelievably, I was in Toronto all day yesterday doing various beer related things and totally forgot about Volo! Kicking myself now. Can't wait to check out what they've done with their digs and to sample the now insane (er) tap list.

Defraying a bar's cost by buying food is a really interesting discussion. Do you support an bar with an amazing beer selection no matter what to insure availability and selection or should there be more to the overall experience in a beer bar? Where is the line where you need to "suck it up" and where is the line when you just can't do it any more? Not sure this thread is the right place to discuss it, but food for thought.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cale wrote:
Maybe some people received a different product than I did. I have no problem paying those prices or more for charcuterie plates at other places in Toronto, or anywhere else, but what I received at Volo was not worth what I paid as far as quality or quantity. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Volo get more business than every craft bar in Hamilton combined. Believe it or not I'm not just some lowly cheap Hamiltonian.
um, no offense, but you're pretty wrong on both accounts.

quantity: unless you're ordering the charcuterie plate at the Hoof, which is chock full of meat, most restaurants have a sparse board. Volo's board had 2 cuts of charcuterie (i think, from what i saw), which, meatwise, is less than most restaurants (usually there are 4). but... it had 2-3 types of cheese and it had pickled asparagus and other pickled veggies. variation-wise, it was on board dollar-wise with what you will find at most restaurants. if you want to niggle, then perhaps it may be as much as $2 more than most restaurants. but now you're niggling. Niggler.

quality: first, let's go by reputation. Grant van Gameron's known as one of he best charcuterie dudes in Toronto. he started the Hoof, which was built on his cured meat. so by reputation alone, Grant is the leader in the charcuterie game. while i haven't had Volo's board, i have sampled some of Grant's charcuterie, which you can also buy at Cheese Boutique. it is really, really good. if Schneider's salami's your thing, then this isn't for you. i also know that Volo is (apparently) cutting the meat per order. therefore, it will be moist and flavourful. same with the cheese, which (apparently) is being sent to tables at room temperature (something that many Toronto restaurants err at when serving cheese boards). the bread is from Woodlot - known as Toronto's best bread bakeries. and the pickled vegetables are from Guy Rawlings, known as being an upper echelon Toronto chef.

in the end, you're complaining about prices that are industry prices and quality of meat, which is known as being the top charcuterie in the city.

maybe the board wasn't to your taste or up to your expectation, but I imagine that many Volo patrons will be extremely satisfied with their board purchase. 2 people can snack on a $18 board and be reasonably full (if they aren't starving).

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

boney wrote:

Defraying a bar's cost by buying food is a really interesting discussion.
bars serve food for 2 reasons:

1. it is law in Ontario
2. it is an excellent was to add to your bottom line

you have a captive audience. you want their asses on the bar stools for as long as possible. if they get up to eat next door, you are losing possible drink revenue and you are missing out on a chance to make food revenue.

charcuterie - it does not expire. there is no kitchen prep other than cutting the meat.

cheese - goes in the fridge at the end of the night. wrap it well. if it isn't used within 2 weeks, it dries out or goes bad. zero prep.

preserved veggies - they do not go bad. prep is done 1 month a year.

your charcuterie board may cost you $7-12 for ingredients. if it takes you 5 min to cut and serve it, you are making $6-11 of FREE MONEY. sell 10 boards a night at that is around $100 of FREE MONEY.

5 nights a week? $500 of FREE MONEY.

50 weeks a year? $25 000 of FREE MONEY.

excuse me...i'll be back. gonna open up a charcuterie stand...

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Maybe some people received a different product than I did.
My board did not contain cheese. It also contained bland and low quality charcuterie (aside from the smallest portion of duck prosciutto I've ever seen). It is not on par with what I receive at other restaurants - I don't know what to tell you. Pretty hard to swallow when coupled with shit service at a place that also charges you for the raw loaf of bread (dough) you refused to eat.

Bringing up what is there now is irrelevant. My comments were regarding what I received from the old menu. I have no opinion of the new menu because I have not experienced it.

Pretty hilarious the drama that results from the criticism of a single menu item.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cale wrote: Bringing up what is there now is irrelevant. My comments were regarding what I received from the old menu. I have no opinion of the new menu because I have not experienced it.
but...this thread is all about the renos.
and i don't recall you saying that you're complaining about a meal you had in the distant past.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

My comment that started this:
Here's hoping the charcuterie isn't as insanely overpriced as it used to be
edit: if the meat is coming from the same guy behind the Hoof, then I imagine I will have much less of an issue with it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Cale wrote:My comment that started this:
Here's hoping the charcuterie isn't as insanely overpriced as it used to be
edit: if the meat is coming from the same guy behind the Hoof, then I imagine I will have much less of an issue with it.
formerly behind the Hoof.
the Hoof has someone else doing their charcuterie (and i think it is noticeable)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

atomeyes wrote:
boney wrote:

Defraying a bar's cost by buying food is a really interesting discussion.
bars serve food for 2 reasons:

1. it is law in Ontario
2. it is an excellent was to add to your bottom line

you have a captive audience. you want their asses on the bar stools for as long as possible. if they get up to eat next door, you are losing possible drink revenue and you are missing out on a chance to make food revenue.

charcuterie - it does not expire. there is no kitchen prep other than cutting the meat.

cheese - goes in the fridge at the end of the night. wrap it well. if it isn't used within 2 weeks, it dries out or goes bad. zero prep.

preserved veggies - they do not go bad. prep is done 1 month a year.

your charcuterie board may cost you $7-12 for ingredients. if it takes you 5 min to cut and serve it, you are making $6-11 of FREE MONEY. sell 10 boards a night at that is around $100 of FREE MONEY.

5 nights a week? $500 of FREE MONEY.

50 weeks a year? $25 000 of FREE MONEY.

excuse me...i'll be back. gonna open up a charcuterie stand...
Profit margins. Yeah. I should have clarified....whether to support a bar serving sub-standard edible fair in order to defray costs and support the associated drinkable product that you love, that's what I'd be interested in discussing, not the legal necessity to serve food with alc or the exact mathematics. Although how much money is made on food that helps to defray costs would be relivant to a place's success. Note, this is a scenario. I am not ciritcising Volo specifically.

Anyway, back to renos. Please tell me they kept the desks.