Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I brewed a couple ales, high efficiency on both, so they're a little stronger than I intended for the summer.

6.3% American Wheat, 50% Wheat, 50% Vienna, tons of cascade, dry-hopped with Citra.

6.8% IPA, 95% ESB, 5% Crystal 60, lots of Chinook, finished with Zeus, dry-hopped with Simcoe.

The wheat was very citrusy, so I wanted a lot of pine from the IPA, but it's a bit more 'dank' than I had hoped.

I usually do a hefeweizen for the summer, but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast anymore and I was sitting on pounds of hops, so I did an American Wheat instead. Extremely hazy without a protein rest!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

in continued preparation for the Great Move of 2014, blended and bottled 11gal of gueuze, bottled 10gal of old ale, and 4gal of imperial saison (the remaining 6gal dosed with 4-5# of cherries). Also emptied a dozen carboys into stainless. two left to keg this week, and all my (20+) carboys will be officially empty.

of course, the downside is that i have another 11 cases of bottled beer that i need to move now, but the cool bit is that I know have 1.5x as much homebrew as commercial in the cellar.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

grub wrote:in continued preparation for the Great Move of 2014, blended and bottled 11gal of gueuze, bottled 10gal of old ale, and 4gal of imperial saison (the remaining 6gal dosed with 4-5# of cherries). Also emptied a dozen carboys into stainless. two left to keg this week, and all my (20+) carboys will be officially empty.

of course, the downside is that i have another 11 cases of bottled beer that i need to move now, but the cool bit is that I know have 1.5x as much homebrew as commercial in the cellar.
WOW! That makes my moves seem rather tame. Best of luck...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Derek wrote:WOW! That makes my moves seem rather tame. Best of luck...
it'll be alright... i'm really only moving the beer myself, movers can handle the rest. hoping that between pickup+trailer I can get all 48ish cases + 4 fermenters + 10ish kegs down in one trip. It's only a 1.5hr drive, so nowhere near the hassle of a cross-country move.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:It's only a 1.5hr drive, so nowhere near the hassle of a cross-country move.
moving further into the stix?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:moving further into the stix?
yep, Brantford. rental initially while we find something in the area to buy.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:moving further into the stix?
yep, Brantford. rental initially while we find something in the area to buy.
my wife's hometown. we're there every few months.

buy in Paris if you can. beautiful homes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:5 gallons

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb sugar

1 oz spalt select (cube)

Jeremy's saison blend

should make a simple summer beer
this is drinking well!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Getting two done this weekend - a lambic and a gose with applewood smoked sea salt. Ran out of rice hulls so not sure how the gose is going to go tomorrow…

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

matt7215 wrote:

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb sugar

1 oz spalt select (cube)

Jeremy's saison blend

this is drinking well!
wow, you're drinking that already?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

J343MY wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb sugar

1 oz spalt select (cube)

Jeremy's saison blend

this is drinking well!
wow, you're drinking that already?
11 day primary, 3 days of bottle conditioning

The yeast was very active and ripped through fermentation

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

brewed my belgian blonde yesterday.

7% acid malt
7% flaked wheat
rest is pilsner

el dorado and falconer's flight for hops (primarily whirlpool).
brett brux trois as the yeast.
debating on adding brett Custersianus to secondary to add a twist.
will rack on rhubarb.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

10 gallons of Old Ale today (parti-gyle)

15lbs Marris Otter
2lbs 2 row
.75lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Melanodin
.5 lbs Carafoam

the big batch from the first runnings will get 2.5 oz of Northern Brewer @ cube and will be oak aged in secondary

the smaller batch will just get an oz of Northern Brewer @ cube and should be bottle conditioned in about 14 days

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Going to give this a go today with a few substitutions - Raw wheat instead of flaked and Chocolate wheat instead of Carafa II

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1960 ... ck-witbier
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

grub wrote: it'll be alright... i'm really only moving the beer myself, movers can handle the rest. hoping that between pickup+trailer I can get all 48ish cases + 4 fermenters + 10ish kegs down in one trip. It's only a 1.5hr drive, so nowhere near the hassle of a cross-country move.
My London to Toronto move was the worst... lots of homebrew I had to move myself (though nowhere near as much as you). I think I traded you a bottle from every batch I had moved at that time.

For the BC move I put a hold on the homebrewing and was actively drinking down my cellar... then I just paid someone to move the rest.

I'm from Cambridge, but never really spent much time in Brantford. Paris is a charming little town, but I'd be more inclined to move somewhere rural. Since the 403 went through, you can get out of some of the country area's fairly quickly. I thought somewhere around Jerseyville might be nice (I considered applying for a job in Hamilton). I use to ride the railtrail through there all the time...