Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Barncat Artisan Ales, Cambridge

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I’m really looking forward to the pilsner. I find that breweries that make good IPAS tend to make good lagers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:This new Pilsner is great.
I love good pilsners. There's more Ontario pilsners than I tend to think there is (perhaps not all 'good'), but they don't get the same attention as, say, IPAs.
Yeah. I think to be made really well they require costly time, attention and finesse - all on top of the expense of not being " trendy" as the ubiquitous Vermont IPAs and such. The GS Svetly Vicepni 10° is absolutely beautiful. Lagers literally need to be 'lagered' to finish the beer and round off the flavour profile, it's a long process to do it right (and one big brewers rush through.)

So whatever you guys are drinking... cheers.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:This new Pilsner is great.
I love good pilsners. There's more Ontario pilsners than I tend to think there is (perhaps not all 'good'), but they don't get the same attention as, say, IPAs.
Yeah. I think to be made really well they require costly time, attention and finesse - all on top of the expense of not being " trendy" as the ubiquitous Vermont IPAs and such. The GS Svetly Vicepni 10° is absolutely beautiful. Lagers literally need to be 'lagered' to finish the beer and round off the flavour profile, it's a long process to do it right (and one big brewers rush through.)

So whatever you guys are drinking... cheers.
If your wanting to try the Barncat Pilsner....I’m quite certain Volo got a couple cases that I’m sure they’ll be selling.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Damn.. this brewery was one of my favourites

HeadyestTopper

Post by HeadyestTopper »

Brutal. One of the best breweries in Ontario/Canada. Gonna miss their stuff.

I remember visiting them early on in my craft journey and being completely mind-blasted. Sad beer day.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Wtf... that's terrible news. :cry:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

That sucks. Never like to see places close up.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

My favourite brewery. No only great beers, but I loved the styles they make, and @matt7215 was always amazing to deal with (Jeremy too).

I already knew this was probably going to happen, but I'm quite sad to see it official. Really sad actually.

Thanks for all the great beer and chats gents!
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Damn. There are like a dozen breweries in Cambridge, so I'm not surprised it's tough to compete out there. But why did it have to be Reverence and Barncat? :cry:

walz22

Post by walz22 »

This really sucks, definitely one of my favourite breweries.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Truly terrible news. I've always loved their stuff. I wish them all the best.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Macdonald decided to reach out to his future business partner on an online beer forum they were both a part of to congratulate him and see if he’d like to trade beers.
Could it be?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Craig wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:43 am
Macdonald decided to reach out to his future business partner on an online beer forum they were both a part of to congratulate him and see if he’d like to trade beers.
Could it be?
this is the place it all started