Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I thought you needed a distillery license to make beers over 11.9%, in addition to the added cost? I wonder if they have one, or they're just skirting the silly law? Or probably more likely I'm mistaken?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I was pleasantly surprised to find Ghost Orchid at the 'BO. I don't think I've ever seen it there before. A happy surprise and I've managed to enjoy a few cans over the last week. Must restock!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:04 pm I was pleasantly surprised to find Ghost Orchid at the 'BO. I don't think I've ever seen it there before.
It has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I'll mention it again here. I recommend frequently checking LCBO Beer Inventory ... a better way to explore! I occasionally find a beer in the LCBO that I haven't seen here, but it catches most of the.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Now offers six and 24 packs of select beer. Discount over single purchases are pretty light.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Moving to short cans for some brands too. I have to wonder if we'll see more short can offerings from breweries to keep price points down amidst increasing costs, definitely a way to reduce sticker shock since I imagine most people don't do a cost per ml calculation when they're staring at the price.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:50 am Moving to short cans for some brands too. I have to wonder if we'll see more short can offerings from breweries to keep price points down amidst increasing costs, definitely a way to reduce sticker shock since I imagine most people don't do a cost per ml calculation when they're staring at the price.
The metal to beer ratio just isn't efficient. How are we going to reduce our carbon footprint with this kind of behaviour?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:50 am Moving to short cans for some brands too. I have to wonder if we'll see more short can offerings from breweries to keep price points down amidst increasing costs, definitely a way to reduce sticker shock since I imagine most people don't do a cost per ml calculation when they're staring at the price.

I’m glad to see more options being made available these days in short cans.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

News about the Dupont location. Typical BlogTO clickbait around the location going to open - there's no indication of that. Looking at the end of the legal doc the judge awarded Bellwoods $6 million, which will certainly help with things.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2023/0 ... -landlord/

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2 ... c2845.html

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Dang, 6 million? Good for them!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Scanning the legal document, even though Bellwoods got damages, it does not seem ideal to continue working with this landlord on a go-forward basis considering some of the stuff they pulled. I wonder what Bellwoods will actually do.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well, they asked for and received specific performance, so undoubtedly their intention is to use the space.

In any event, fantastic result for Bellwoods' counsel, who also was (or is?) a good Bar Toweller as some of you know.

cboden

Post by cboden »

Craig wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:25 pm I thought you needed a distillery license to make beers over 11.9%, in addition to the added cost? I wonder if they have one, or they're just skirting the silly law? Or probably more likely I'm mistaken?
There were a number of changes to alcohol laws early in the pandemic. I _think_ I recall this being one of them. Over 11.9% is taxed higher and I don't think you need a distiller licence if it's still classified as beer (or I could be misremembering and Bellwoods has a distillers licence?). I've seen a few breweries release beers over 11.9% in the past two years though.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

cboden wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:11 am There were a number of changes to alcohol laws early in the pandemic. I _think_ I recall this being one of them. Over 11.9% is taxed higher and I don't think you need a distiller licence if it's still classified as beer (or I could be misremembering and Bellwoods has a distillers licence?). I've seen a few breweries release beers over 11.9% in the past two years though.
CRA still defines beer over 11.9% as a spirit. Not sure if breweries actually require a new license if one of their beers is over this threshold though.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... irits.html

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Anyone have any experience with Bellwoods renting out their Ossington space for a party?
lister

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

lister wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:28 am Anyone have any experience with Bellwoods renting out their Ossington space for a party?
No, but I hear you can book the Dovercourt space for a rave. :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.