Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Bellwoods Brewery

Post by DeMarco »

Anything Bellwoods brewery releases here.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

That's what the "New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases" thread is for....no?

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

El Pinguino wrote:That's what the "New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases" thread is for....no?
Since Bellwoods takes up such a huge proportion of posts on that thread, why not give Bellwoods its own thread, and leave that one your mentioned for everything else?

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Agreed, especially with their upcoming expansion. They are, arguably, our best brewery. Why not give them their own space?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Yeah I feel as this brewery continues to release new stuff a few times a month, it would be better to have it's own thread.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

And to provide some content, I'll note that they've released their new version of Omertà this week which can be found in the bottle shop. If you're going in for a pint, they have Jutsu Version 5 and Midnight Pilot on tap, both of which I highly recommend giving a try.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

napoleon wrote:And to provide some content, I'll note that they've released their new version of Omertà this week which can be found in the bottle shop. If you're going in for a pint, they have Jutsu Version 5 and Midnight Pilot on tap, both of which I highly recommend giving a try.
Speaking of which, what ever happened to this last fall?
2. With a recent batch of Omertá, an idea stirred. Brewed as per usual, fermented, and dry-hopped with tons of orange peel, hibiscus flowers, and Centennial, we transferred it into rum barrels mid summer. We’ll be adding coconut and pineapple (and perhaps a few other tropical fruits), and letting it age just a bit further to become a delicious Jamaican-style rum punch concoction. This one will be released late September or early October.

Morrish

Post by Morrish »

Speaking of which, what ever happened to this last fall?
2. With a recent batch of Omertá, an idea stirred. Brewed as per usual, fermented, and dry-hopped with tons of orange peel, hibiscus flowers, and Centennial, we transferred it into rum barrels mid summer. We’ll be adding coconut and pineapple (and perhaps a few other tropical fruits), and letting it age just a bit further to become a delicious Jamaican-style rum punch concoction. This one will be released late September or early October.
[/quote]

I went to one of their tasting a while back and I remember the brewer running the session mentioning that they've had to dump 2 or 3 batches of various beers that they felt just didn't work or didn't meet their standards . Perhaps this was one of them? Dumping a batch obviously represents a sizable loss financially for such a small operation but its nice to see a brewery value their reputation over their bottom line.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Morrish wrote: I went to one of their tasting a while back and I remember the brewer running the session mentioning that they've had to dump 2 or 3 batches of various beers that they felt just didn't work or didn't meet their standards . Perhaps this was one of them? Dumping a batch obviously represents a sizable loss financially for such a small operation but its nice to see a brewery value their reputation over their bottom line.
Yeah I don't think this is the first, nor will it be the last, experiment to be dumped or at very least re-worked. Just wondering if anyone had heard specifics. For the record, it sounds like a fucking great summer drink (even better than Avery Lilikoi Kepolo, which sounds awesome); pina colada in a beer glass.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

sort of like how Blitzen was supposed to be released last winter but never happened

man do i miss blitzen

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

The shark is back.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

AugustusRex wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:That's what the "New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases" thread is for....no?
Since Bellwoods takes up such a huge proportion of posts on that thread, why not give Bellwoods its own thread, and leave that one your mentioned for everything else?
Using this logic, I think we should create a "Belgian's non-beer recommendations" thread and leave "Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation" for others. :D

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:
Using this logic, I think we should create a "Belgian's non-beer recommendations" thread and leave "Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation" for others. :D
LOL. Or we could just give Belgian the thread and rename it. Nobody else posts anything useful.

skootles

Post by skootles »

jeremyg wrote:sort of like how Blitzen was supposed to be released last winter but never happened

man do i miss blitzen
Yeah, I was disappointed when we didn't get Blitzen this year. I was also hoping for 3 Minutes to Midnight as well, it's been almost a year since their blog post about it going into cognac barrels.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

AugustusRex wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:
LOL. Or we could just give Belgian the thread and rename it. Nobody else posts anything useful.
Haha....is there a way to block thread from showing up? I have no use for that one...
:D