Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Coronaeus wrote:I was wondering if anyone has had infection issues with beers other than the 2018 BOYD? I sent a Black Roses to someone recently as a desired extra in a trade and he let me know it had gone quite sour. Has anyone had issues with 2017 BOYD, 2017 or 18 Skeleton Keys or recent 3 Minutes to Midnight? Cheers!
I have not had a problem with BOYD '18, but others have had. Guess I should drink another to check...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had problems with Skelton key and Lambda souring, but those were bottles from like 2014 drank in 2017 or so.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Coronaeus wrote:I was wondering if anyone has had infection issues with beers other than the 2018 BOYD? I sent a Black Roses to someone recently as a desired extra in a trade and he let me know it had gone quite sour. Has anyone had issues with 2017 BOYD, 2017 or 18 Skeleton Keys or recent 3 Minutes to Midnight? Cheers!
I haven't bothered cellaring these lately, but there was someone on here a few pages back that noticed the problem with BOYD '18, as well as some comments on Untappd. Other vintages or releases seem to be fine.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Up until the most recent bottle, my 2018 BOYDs have been fine. I think Ive had, or sent out 6 of them prior to the bad one.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to make sure Im not sending out beer with known - even if not well-known - issues. The infected 2018 BYOD I sent out was to Sacramento. Replacing it was pricey..... I guess Ill just drink the rest myself and stick to sending out the intentionally sour stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Not me so far!! This is REEEally depressing since I love the bigger-boned offerings of Bellwoods for cellaring. Lambda for sure and of course any sour blends / imperial stouts.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
Not me so far!! This is REEEally depressing since I love the bigger-boned offerings of Bellwoods for cellaring. Lambda for sure and of course any sour blends / imperial stouts.
I'm confused, how does a sour beer go bad when it started out sour to begin with? :wink:
I always thought people that like sour beer looked forward to beer going bad ... errrr sour .... in their cellar .... :evil:
@markhamwhisky

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Not to be a jerk, but is that a serious question?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:
I'm confused, how does a sour beer go bad when it started out sour to begin with? :wink:
I always thought people that like sour beer looked forward to beer going bad ... errrr sour .... in their cellar .... :evil:

Ha Ha!

Q: At what point does a sour beer go bad?
A: When it was made.

Joking aside, people have their fetishes, sometimes they can grow into annoying trends.
Stinky cheese, I like, to a point, but I'll almost always enjoy it over a bland cheese
Perfumes and scents, I hate, so I also don't like most deodorants, but it's easy for me to bathe regularly, so no problem. But some people do have body odor fetishes. Good for them.
Sour/spoiled beers. Nah, I prefer to keep my home 'brewhouse' clean, if I can.

Back to the jokes.
Q; When do you know you are buying an experiment and you are the subject?
A: It's more than $8.00 a bottle
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cboden

Post by cboden »

I have several 2018 BOYD in my beer fridge. All 3 I've had in the past 4 months have been infected. It's especially sad because I kept saving them when I had company over. :cry:

I don't suppose there's any chance Bellwoods has some kind of return policy. :-?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They're a very good brewery who take the quality of their products seriously. I bet if you reached out to them they'd be happy to make it right.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

cboden wrote:I have several 2018 BOYD in my beer fridge. All 3 I've had in the past 4 months have been infected. It's especially sad because I kept saving them when I had company over. :cry:

I don't suppose there's any chance Bellwoods has some kind of return policy. :-?
I mentioned this issue in passing at Hafis and got nothing in return by way of an acknowledgement or denial. If I remember correctly it was a “I dont think there is an issue. Some people don’t store their beer properly.’ Or, something to that effect.

At about the same time I noticed 2018 BOYD was no longer on the Ossington reserve bottle list...

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

If I had more than a few infected bottles I'd definitely pursue a refund. Those beers ain't cheap!

I'd email them and explain what happened, including how they were stored. Probably best if you have some sort of proof, receipt, empties or unopened bottles that are infected.

If they are at all interested quality control, they should be asking you to bring in your bottles so they can figure out what went wrong and of course offer a refund.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

The new wild beer, Intermodal is quite good. A little funky on the nose, with some grape, stone fruit and oak aromas and flavours. Maybe a little lemon too. More American than Belgian I’d say, but really quite good. It will be nice to see how it develops over time.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Coronaeus wrote:The new wild beer, Intermodal is quite good. A little funky on the nose, with some grape, stone fruit and oak aromas and flavours. Maybe a little lemon too. More American than Belgian I’d say, but really quite good. It will be nice to see how it develops over time.
I thought it was fantastic as well. Not as sour as I expected, hard not to gulp. The Cantillon and Tilquin beers at Hafis were also tasting great.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian in November 2016 wrote:... Also a 3 Minutes To Midnight (Cherry/Raspberry) 2015 & a Skeleton Key 2014. I might keep the 3 minutes another year to see if it smooths out all that raspberry (or see if if it gets even weirder.) I don't think Skeleton will ever get much better OR worse, it's amazing.
The 3 Minutes To Midnight (Cherry/Raspberry) 2015 is mellower now, The Raspberry isn't annoying, overall a smoother brew with the cherry and chocolate still present. More dry than fruity, the hops retaining a slight minty overtone. Quite drinkable.

The Skeleton Key 2014 was MUCH improved after 5 years ageing as I recently noted. Have had only good cellaring experiences with Bellwoods bottlings. Happy Friday!

In Beerum Veritas