Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Am I the only one who seems to fall off the Bellwoods newsletter email list? I seem to get them for about 6 months then realize I haven’t received them for a couple months. I think I’ve requested to join the mailing list about 7 times since 2014/5

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

They regularly end up in my junk mail, so I find them a week or two late.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Napalm Frog wrote:They regularly end up in my junk mail, so I find them a week or two late.
You’d think by 2020 I’d have learned to check my junk mail for things like this. But no, I haven’t. And, there it is! Thanks.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Haven’t been loving their selections lately, although I wanted to try the Monogamy Rakau. Any good?

Monogamy Sabro was one of my favourite and most surprising terp profiles last summer. I actually thank it very much because I now know I’m looking for anything Sabro

I sent them a reply to their newsletter asking for a strawberry beer and they sent me a thumbs up, lol. We shall see.

S M A

Post by S M A »

Bellwoods all the way near the bottom of page 3? We must really be spoiled in Ontario these days, ha.

Anyway, Bellwoods are blowing the doors off right now with Hellwoods, Bring Out Your Dead, and a Collective Arts IPA collab available. For anyone interested.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I picked those up yesterday, haven't tried em yet. The maple IPA collab with The Veil is fantastic!

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Anyone else think Bellwoods is out to lunch with their pricing these days? The latest releases for BOYD and Skeleton Key are $20/btl! That's still a 500ml bottle btw.

I used to buy Bellwoods all the time but they've lost me with these crazy high prices for their barrel aged releases.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

IPA_Lover wrote:Anyone else think Bellwoods is out to lunch with their pricing these days? The latest releases for BOYD and Skeleton Key are $20/btl! That's still a 500ml bottle btw.

I used to buy Bellwoods all the time but they've lost me with these crazy high prices for their barrel aged releases.
Out to lunch for me? Yes. But if they sell out then kudos to them.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

IPA_Lover wrote:Anyone else think Bellwoods is out to lunch with their pricing these days? The latest releases for BOYD and Skeleton Key are $20/btl! That's still a 500ml bottle btw.

these should be $30 minimum

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm in a similar situation. Their barrel aged stouts have never really been to my own tastes. The hoppy stuff has been increasing hit and miss for me (i find a lot of them too "green"). I was still enjoying the Jelly Kings and the fruit based stuff semi-regularly but it's hard to justify the pricing + shipping compared to other breweries right now. If they were still consistently wowing me, I might be more inclined. I assume they are still selling well to people that are bigger fans.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I''m not a brewer but the price is understandable. These DOUBLE barrel releases have spent like 18-26 months sitting in barrels adding costs related to storage and transfer while compounding the risk of spoilage. All while losing liquid volume to evaporation. Yup it's expensive but justified IMO.

The first double BOYD 2020 was an absolute beast. Haven't tried the new ones.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:I''m not a brewer but the price is understandable. These DOUBLE barrel releases have spent like 18-26 months sitting in barrels adding costs related to storage and transfer while compounding the risk of spoilage. All while losing liquid volume to evaporation. Yup it's expensive but justified IMO.
This. Expensive does not equate to overpriced, it often does mean bigger investment for a smaller number of sales, in fact these items can represent a genuine labor of love as much as whatever financial return.

The more expensive price point generally offers something other price points do not in terms of uniqueness. Given the many alternatives (ie. that we're not forced to buy double-barrel aged beers or $5,000 Suhr guitars to be perfectly happy) I'm still glad this 'best of the best' approach can exist and thrive in our strong western economy.
matt7215 wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:BOYD and Skeleton Key are $20/btl! That's still a 500ml bottle btw.
these should be $30 minimum
In the past some bottlings from Bellwoods and Burdock, etc. have seemed like I was getting away with a very inexpensive price. Not that I enjoy every release as much as my favorites - and good for them going out on a limb to try things but that's down to personal taste. And it's anyone's prerogative to sign up for participating in that whole thing which is actually pretty neat. What fun.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

cboden

Post by cboden »

beerstodiscover wrote:I''m not a brewer but the price is understandable. These DOUBLE barrel releases have spent like 18-26 months sitting in barrels adding costs related to storage and transfer while compounding the risk of spoilage. All while losing liquid volume to evaporation. Yup it's expensive but justified IMO.

I opted not to grab any of the first double round. After seeing how highly rated they were on Untappd I got some major FOMO, caved and bought the two new ones. Here's hoping they arrive for the weekend and are just as good! Hopefully they age well too.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cboden wrote:

I opted not to grab any of the first double round. After seeing how highly rated they were on Untappd I got some major FOMO, caved and bought the two new ones. Here's hoping they arrive for the weekend and are just as good! Hopefully they age well too.
you def dont need to age a beer that has already been aged in a barrel twice

cboden

Post by cboden »

matt7215 wrote:
cboden wrote:

you def dont need to age a beer that has already been aged in a barrel twice
Sure, I don't need to. But I want to :D

Also, commenting on the price of these from the above thread; double barreling certainly adds to the cost of the beer (as someone else mentioned), but I just noticed the beers are labelled above the magical 11.9% AVB at 14.1% and 13.5% which means they'll be taxed higher.