Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Karma Citra coming back soon to LCBO

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

BURST! A New England Pale Ale coming to the LCBO.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... g-to-lcbo/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:BURST! A New England Pale Ale coming to the LCBO.

I do enjoy pretty much every ipa Great Lakes put out....but honestly, how many NE style ones do they need? I’d love a bit more diversity. Maybe make robohop year round...bring back Devils Pale ale, my bitter wife etc

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:

I do enjoy pretty much every ipa Great Lakes put out....but honestly, how many NE style ones do they need? I’d love a bit more diversity. Maybe make robohop year round...bring back Devils Pale ale, my bitter wife etc
Devil's Pale Ale, yes please- the original recipe specifically. It comes back as a seasonal but it's billed as a black IPA now, and while it's still really good, it's quite a bit different than back in the day. It was one of my earliest 'whoa' moments as I was becoming more adventurous with craft beer.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

seangm wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:

Devil's Pale Ale, yes please- the original recipe specifically. It comes back as a seasonal but it's billed as a black IPA now, and while it's still really good, it's quite a bit different than back in the day. It was one of my earliest 'whoa' moments as I was becoming more adventurous with craft beer.
I totally agree. I used to buy DPA by the case. Last years edition was most disappointing, the flavors seemed weaker and even the color was off.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I do enjoy pretty much every ipa Great Lakes put out....but honestly, how many NE style ones do they need?

bring back Devils Pale ale, my bitter wife
Yes, yes, and yes.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

lagerale wrote:
seangm wrote:Devil's Pale Ale, yes please- the original recipe specifically. It comes back as a seasonal but it's billed as a black IPA now, and while it's still really good, it's quite a bit different than back in the day. It was one of my earliest 'whoa' moments as I was becoming more adventurous with craft beer.
I totally agree. I used to buy DPA by the case. Last years edition was most disappointing, the flavors seemed weaker and even the color was off.
I actually enjoyed it, but I agree it was very different. Looked unfiltered, almost like a dark hazy beer and it didn't have the malt depth that it used to; much more hop forward. Which is okay, but I'd rather it be released as a new beer, rather than get my hopes up for a return of the original.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

seangm wrote:
lagerale wrote:
seangm wrote:Devil's Pale Ale, yes please- the original recipe specifically. It comes back as a seasonal but it's billed as a black IPA now, and while it's still really good, it's quite a bit different than back in the day. It was one of my earliest 'whoa' moments as I was becoming more adventurous with craft beer.
I actually enjoyed it, but I agree it was very different. Looked unfiltered, almost like a dark hazy beer and it didn't have the malt depth that it used to; much more hop forward. Which is okay, but I'd rather it be released as a new beer, rather than get my hopes up for a return of the original.
I think you hit the mark about the malt depth. I'm guessing they don't use all 6 malts, among other changes.
Funny enough I clipped the following description a few years ago:

"Released in the fall of 2006, Devil’s Pale Ale 666 was our first seasonal ale. However, the incredible response prompted us to make it available all year long on draught and in 473 ml cans. Brewed with 6 select malts and 4 premium hops, it has a rich mahogany colour, reminiscent of early English pale ales. The wonderful hoppy aroma is revealed even before your first sip, followed by a hearty malty body, and culminating with a pronounced bitterness. Prepare yourself for a devilishly good time…

The Devil Made Me Brew It! Brewed for 66.6 minutes with 666kg of malt and 6.6kg of hops, Devil’s Pale Ale is a robust ale weighing in at 6.6% alcohol (notice a theme yet?). Darker than traditional pale ales, Devil’s Pale Ale has an unmistakable hoppiness both in aroma and taste, balanced by a selection of 6 choice malts."

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I guess Great Lakes Brewery is not expecting keg sales to come back anytime soon. As I write this this have 19 types of beer in the online shop. The Meet the Porter Porter that I just finished was stellar. I bag on them for their thousands of variations of NE IPAs but if they give me a good porter and Karma Citra, then all is forgiven. I think I got an email saying that Devil's Pale Ale is coming soon too. No idea if this is a current classification but they call it an India Brown Ale here: https://www.greatlakesbeer.com/Beer/dev ... e-ale-666/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

alsiem wrote:I guess Great Lakes Brewery is not expecting keg sales to come back anytime soon. As I write this this have 19 types of beer in the online shop. The Meet the Porter Porter that I just finished was stellar. I bag on them for their thousands of variations of NE IPAs but if they give me a good porter and Karma Citra, then all is forgiven. I think I got an email saying that Devil's Pale Ale is coming soon too. No idea if this is a current classification but they call it an India Brown Ale here: https://www.greatlakesbeer.com/Beer/dev ... e-ale-666/

That’s great news, but yes...it seems that 3 out of every 4 beers they’ve been doing the last year or two have been NEIPA. I’m patiently awaiting Beard of Zeus to come back, that’s still the best beer I’ve had all year.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote:That’s great news, but yes...it seems that 3 out of every 4 beers they’ve been doing the last year or two have been NEIPA. I’m patiently awaiting Beard of Zeus to come back, that’s still the best beer I’ve had all year.
Beard of Zeus is still available at the brewery. Just picked up a few myself.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Shinny Pants is also quite good. Loads of flavour for a light stout. I usually grab a couple when I see it and it never lasts long in my fridge.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

The 2010 West Coast IPA was amazing.

Thrust - one of their best - coming to LCBO.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

hopdevil wrote:The 2010 West Coast IPA was amazing.
Agreed. I really cannot say enough good things about this beer.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

FYI This years version of Devils Pale Ale was released today!