Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

666 Devil's Pale Ale has made a return at the brewery only. Was really hoping for an LCBO release, but no luck this time. Always enjoyed it as it was pretty unique in that it mixed up the English/American styles and had a darkness nearing brown ale territory. A nice hybrid.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote:666 Devil's Pale Ale has made a return at the brewery only. Was really hoping for an LCBO release, but no luck this time. Always enjoyed it as it was pretty unique in that it mixed up the English/American styles and had a darkness nearing brown ale territory. A nice hybrid.
Wow. I had assumed it was retired for good.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
seangm wrote:666 Devil's Pale Ale has made a return at the brewery only. Was really hoping for an LCBO release, but no luck this time. Always enjoyed it as it was pretty unique in that it mixed up the English/American styles and had a darkness nearing brown ale territory. A nice hybrid.
Wow. I had assumed it was retired for good.
They released a run of it last Halloween as well.

nickw

Post by nickw »

I also had a taste of the 666 on tap at the Honest Ed's goodbye art party/beer thing in February. The GL guy pouring said they planned on bringing it out from time to time in small amounts.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

This is one of the first beers I remember being excited about when getting in to good beer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The 666 never did much for me. It reminds me of the now bygone era in Ontario craft beer where middling, not-so-hoppy pale ales were revered for the simple fact that nothing better was available locally. I'm much more excited to see Karma, Meanwhile, and Johnny Simcoe in the bottle shop. All three are drinking beautifully right now.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

cratez wrote:The 666 never did much for me. It reminds me of the now bygone era in Ontario craft beer where middling, not-so-hoppy pale ales were revered for the simple fact that nothing better was available locally. I'm much more excited to see Karma, Meanwhile, and Johnny Simcoe in the bottle shop. All three are drinking beautifully right now.
Agreed.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

There were at a least a couple batches of 666 where they really nailed it as far as a hoppy, dark ale goes. The most recent batch that I tried last year was a letdown. Not nearly as bold as I remember.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I thought last year's 666 was pretty solid. And Meanwhile Down in Moxie such a disapointment last winter that I haven't gone back for any of the follow up batches. Has it improved? I found, and so did many others, that it was tasting more like a belgian pale ale than what we'd expect of a NE pale.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Blasphomet wrote:I thought last year's 666 was pretty solid. And Meanwhile Down in Moxie such a disapointment last winter that I haven't gone back for any of the follow up batches. Has it improved? I found, and so did many others, that it was tasting more like a belgian pale ale than what we'd expect of a NE pale.
Tastes phenomenal right now but drinks more like a tropical/hop-forward/new school American IPA than a strict interpretation of the New England style. Also much clearer than your typical NE IPA. But I'm okay with all of those things. Like with everything, matter of personal preference.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Just noticed on The Wooly's Facebook page a few pics of the guys @ Great Lakes brewing some
Stuff for the annual tap takeover. No more info than that, but will be in the next couple weeks if memory serves me correct. I wasn't able to make it last year, hopefully can make it back again this year. Always a stellar lineup.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Just noticed on The Wooly's Facebook page a few pics of the guys @ Great Lakes brewing some
Stuff for the annual tap takeover. No more info than that, but will be in the next couple weeks if memory serves me correct. I wasn't able to make it last year, hopefully can make it back again this year. Always a stellar lineup.
December 16 is the date this year.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Quote in the poster is accurate.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So far I've pretty disappointed by Lake Effect this year. Used to me my fave... but that goes to Karma Citra now.