Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Blasphomet wrote:So far I've pretty disappointed by Lake Effect this year. Used to me my fave... but that goes to Karma Citra now.
I've found all of their seasonal IPAs to be hit or miss. Very different flavour profiles in cans packaged on different dates. Used to love all of their offerings but sadly only enjoyed maybe 2 or 3 cans over the last dozen or so I've tasted over the last year.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Blasphomet wrote:So far I've pretty disappointed by Lake Effect this year. Used to me my fave... but that goes to Karma Citra now.
100% agree with you. Not enjoying Lake Effect AT ALL this year. There's something skunky about it, taste and aroma-wise, that wasn't there the previous couple years.

On the other hand, this last run of Karma Citra was really good, as was Octopus before that. Hoping they redeem themselves with the next batch of Thrust as I won't be drinking any Lake Effect till then.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

The couple of cans I had over the weekend were just kind of malt forward... not much hop punch at all. Crystal clear looking too when I seem to think it is always kind of hazy. Not like NE hazy at all... just a bit cloudy.... but def not as clear.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I've only had 2 cans of lake effect so far; on Xmas eve. The cans were dated dec 21 so I was expecting big things but was really disappointed also. Not bad, but just very average, and yeah, lake effect had previously been my fav GL IPA. Those two cans were so underwhelming that it hasn't even crossed my mind to grab any more. Hopefully the next couple runs are better.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Lake Effect's always been my least preferred GLB IPA. I tried this year's batch, and to me it was very consistent with past batches. The skunky-ish taste someone mentioned has always been there, if you ask me. Something about the hop profile disagrees with my taste buds.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Poor Lake Effect, no love!
Agreed though....it's not in the top 3-4 hoppy beers that GLB makes....so not overly excited for it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I maintain that some of the earlier batches of Lake Effect were the best IPAs Great Lakes have ever made. The volatility from batch to batch is pretty extreme.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'll have to check the dates I have at home, I really enjoyed this one. Quite hazy, definitely not clear and with a nice hit of citrusy and tropical hops- got a lot of mango in particular.

That said, I find GLB constantly tinkers with their IPAs. I remember Lake Effect being more resinous and bitter, now it seems lighter and juicier (as is the trend nowadays). I wish they'd stick to creating a consistent formula for each brand and introducing new labels for changed recipes.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote:I maintain that some of the earlier batches of Lake Effect were the best IPAs Great Lakes have ever made. The volatility from batch to batch is pretty extreme.

100% agree. The very first run of lake effect they ever did is hands down my fav IPA from Great Lakes.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Craig wrote:I maintain that some of the earlier batches of Lake Effect were the best IPAs Great Lakes have ever made. The volatility from batch to batch is pretty extreme.

100% agree. The very first run of lake effect they ever did is hands down my fav IPA from Great Lakes.
Yup, it was awesome. Not sure I'd say it was my fav IPA they ever released, but it was certainly right up there.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

My cans were Dec. 21st as well. I'm pretty positive anyways. I could check the empty bin at home, but I'm pretty certain. Won't buy more until the next run is released.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They even have volatility within releases. I think it was the second batch of Thrust where one can would come out hazy and the next would be crystal clear. I view it as part of the charm.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I have also been underwhelmed by this Lake Effect release and that includes on tap. In fact i think I have had it on tap more than in cans, though I have bought a number over of cans in the last month or so when it became available.

I'd say it must be a recipe tweak. Quality is fine, flavor is meh...

I'm all for brewers making different editions with seasonals, but at some point it does get hard to figure out why something is even branded; You give it a brand so customers latch on and you supply consistency so they stay latched. I think this makes it harder for the brewery to create a sustainable following. They are making extra work for themselves.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

FWIW the cans I have are Dec 29 2017, and I think they're quite excellent. Still not at all what I remember Lake Effect being when it launched, but certainly an enjoyable IPA.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Great Lakes Brewery Announces Launch of Great Lakes Spirits

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... s-spirits/