Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lagerale wrote:FYI This years version of Devils Pale Ale was released today!
I quite liked it. i was worried it might disappoint but I found it to be a very nice change of pace.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

JerCraigs wrote:
lagerale wrote:FYI This years version of Devils Pale Ale was released today!
I quite liked it. i was worried it might disappoint but I found it to be a very nice change of pace.
I'm enjoying this year's release as well. It's always been one of my favorites and I've never found anything quite comparable. I ended up buying a couple of cases and a few of the Apocalypse Later which is like an amped up version (It's delicious but dangerous at 9%).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I had the latest Robohop the other night. I admit, I am getting tired of much of the NE IPA bandwagon efforts out there and was skeptical of GLBs recent run of releasing versions of their classic Tank Tens in this theme. However, this release of Robo is very nice, I'm really happy that they used their talents to get a solidly balanced beer.

Will rinse and repeat!

On the other hand, anybody else disappointed in this year's Lake Effect? Maybe my taste buds have changed, but I'm finding it leaning a bit too acrid v.s. clean and bitter. It's not that it's too dry, which I generally like, it's just missing some malt body to balance the hops IMHO. I've loved this beer so much in the past, so...?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote:I had the latest Robohop the other night. I admit, I am getting tired of much of the NE IPA bandwagon efforts out there and was skeptical of GLBs recent run of releasing versions of their classic Tank Tens in this theme. However, this release of Robo is very nice, I'm really happy that they used their talents to get a solidly balanced beer.

Will rinse and repeat!

On the other hand, anybody else disappointed in this year's Lake Effect? Maybe my taste buds have changed, but I'm finding it leaning a bit too acrid v.s. clean and bitter. It's not that it's too dry, which I generally like, it's just missing some malt body to balance the hops IMHO. I've loved this beer so much in the past, so...?

I’ve only had two cans of lake effect this year, over two different days. I wasn’t too fond of it either for some reason, I don’t remember why tbh though.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I've had at least 8 cans of Lake Effect since it came back in December. Went back for more from the brewery it was so good. Seems old school now but so am I. Who got any Karma Simcoe? Can't belive they sold out so quickly, and even Karma Citra seems gone and that's in the LCBO. Great Lakes make great IPAs but wasn't a fan of Forlorn Unicorn which is coming back shortly.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm just digging into a 2020/2021 Thrust, which I also tried a few weeks back (different batches, I think) and am also kind of feeling underwhelmed in comparison to how I remember it. Perhaps I just need that genuine barroom on tap atmosphere to enjoy these.

Thankfully, I have one more Robo to cheer me up after this.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GLB bringing some nice looking winter beers in Thursday’s release:

https://mailchi.mp/greatlakesbeer/sixbi ... e50cb1eb09
319B0546-C948-4300-AD0D-417C62F431D0.jpeg

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I had one of their 3-4 IPA last night. As expected, it's big, but it is still well balanced too. Would do again. In moderation. :D

This year's release of Thrust seems to be back in fine form. I'm having no problem enjoying that.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Cass wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm GLB bringing some nice looking winter beers in Thursday’s release:

https://mailchi.mp/greatlakesbeer/sixbi ... e50cb1eb09
Looks like a great release! I do enjoy egg nog, so I might have to pick up a few of those stouts...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Thrust is back? Oh, I might have to get on that. Love that beer.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I concur, Thrust is tasting really nice this year; one of the best in recent memory. Lake Effect however? Wasn't as impressed, flavour profile seemed flat/dialed down.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

seangm wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am I concur, Thrust is tasting really nice this year; one of the best in recent memory. Lake Effect however? Wasn't as impressed, flavour profile seemed flat/dialed down.
I noticed this with Lake Effect when I bought some on the day it was released. Ended up buying a couple more cans a few weeks later that were tasting much better... batch variance I guess.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

walz22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 am
seangm wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am I concur, Thrust is tasting really nice this year; one of the best in recent memory. Lake Effect however? Wasn't as impressed, flavour profile seemed flat/dialed down.
I noticed this with Lake Effect when I bought some on the day it was released. Ended up buying a couple more cans a few weeks later that were tasting much better... batch variance I guess.
Good to know, I'll check for some different batches. GLB is a fantastic brewery, but I do notice some variation with their IPAs from time to time. Overall it's hard to beat their quality to price ratio though.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The Lake Effect I have been buying over the last couple weeks is in very good form. My memory might not be as good anymore, but it seems to be there with the best of the past years. I think it was only last year when I think it was not quite there.

Keep in mind, we are still talking about an agricultural product. Lots of annual variability is possible, especially with hops.

Anybody else try their Stage 17 Lager? I was really enjoying that in the summer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Tapsucker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 pm The Lake Effect I have been buying over the last couple weeks is in very good form. My memory might not be as good anymore, but it seems to be there with the best of the past years. I think it was only last year when I think it was not quite there.

Keep in mind, we are still talking about an agricultural product. Lots of annual variability is possible, especially with hops.

Anybody else try their Stage 17 Lager? I was really enjoying that in the summer.
Stage 17 was a regular in my fridge over the summer - definitely enjoy it and I’m a big fan of the short can format as well.