Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I am really enjoying this year's Lake Effect - has not been a favourite of mine over the past few iterations, but this year's is wonderful

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

hopdevil wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 pm I am really enjoying this year's Lake Effect - has not been a favourite of mine over the past few iterations, but this year's is wonderful
Cheers, from all of us here at GLB.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Pub Style wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 pm Cheers, from all of us here at GLB.
Thanks for swinging by again Troy!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 pm The Lake Effect I have been buying over the last couple weeks is in very good form. My memory might not be as good anymore, but it seems to be there with the best of the past years. I think it was only last year when I think it was not quite there.

Keep in mind, we are still talking about an agricultural product. Lots of annual variability is possible, especially with hops.

Anybody else try their Stage 17 Lager? I was really enjoying that in the summer.
Definitely a good point re annual variability. Had another can from 11/04 instead of the previous late Oct run and it was in fine form; as good as I can remember from recent years.

Stage 17 was solid, really nice hop bite and very refreshing.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

walz22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 am
seangm wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:47 am I concur, Thrust is tasting really nice this year; one of the best in recent memory. Lake Effect however? Wasn't as impressed, flavour profile seemed flat/dialed down.
I noticed this with Lake Effect when I bought some on the day it was released. Ended up buying a couple more cans a few weeks later that were tasting much better... batch variance I guess.

I completely agree with this. I also bought a few cans the first week it was back, and didn’t enjoy it that much. Bought a couple more cans today(canned nov29) and it’s fantastic. I’d go as far as to say it’s tasting on par with what it was in its glory days(IMO) about 6-7 years back. Really good.

mds

Post by mds »

New signs up at GLB Brewpub so it looks like the opening is imminent!
7datkokIQ_O-m1RKZ70L2A_a5829136cf6ea44eb68b76f6bd89d1cea2fcabaa.jpg

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Had a Karma Simcoe last night and it was excellent. Agreed the Lake Effect was tasting really good this year as well.

I didn't enjoy Robohop this year however. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer it being a WC double instead of a NE double.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

walz22

Post by walz22 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:35 pm Had a Karma Simcoe last night and it was excellent. Agreed the Lake Effect was tasting really good this year as well.

I didn't enjoy Robohop this year however. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer it being a WC double instead of a NE double.
Agreed re: Robohop. It was nice, though, that they released both versions - enjoyed doing the side-by-side comparison.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

walz22 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 am
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:35 pm Had a Karma Simcoe last night and it was excellent. Agreed the Lake Effect was tasting really good this year as well.

Agreed re: Robohop. It was nice, though, that they released both versions - enjoyed doing the side-by-side comparison.
They released both versions? LCBO only got NE version I'm assuming, as that's the one I had. Would have loved to try to WC version.
Or better yet, the very first version of Robohop, when it was 11%! :o :D
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

walz22

Post by walz22 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:44 pm
walz22 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 am

They released both versions? LCBO only got NE version I'm assuming, as that's the one I had. Would have loved to try to WC version.
Or better yet, the very first version of Robohop, when it was 11%! :o :D
Ah, good point - the WC version might have been brewery only. But yes, they did release both around the same time ish. Still have a WC one in the fridge that I might crack open tonight!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I read in the Star that GLB was issued a restaurant license on April 15. So I guess things are close!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GLB News email sent out. Brewpub opening on May 17th.
lister

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GLB has posted a nice history of the brewery as they celebrate their 36th anniversay.

https://www.greatlakesbeer.com/36-years ... a5be52d48f