Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote:Chunks in fresh beer are generally (I say generally because there are always edge cases) no big deal and cosmetic in nature. Flavorless proteins suspended in the beer or excess yeast in suspension that fit whatever reason didn't crash out when it should. Probably a sign of carelessness on the part of the brewery and should technically be considered a flaw if it's not intentional like it would be in a hazy beer, but it's largely cosmetic.

In old, especially hoppy, beers it can be a sign that the beer is way past prime. These will look more flakey than fresh beer with chunks. This is still just proteins falling out of suspension, but it's a sign of a beer that's past prime. This isn't really a sign of a mistake on the brewer's part, it's just old.

There also a chance of floaties in infected beer, but you won't need tips to know that beer is off. It will smell and taste awful.
I had some affected cans of Ransack back in February, and they were under 3 weeks old. I've had beer with floaters where it's still fairly hazy but you can see some chunks, but in this case it was almost crystal clear with large fish food-like flakes of floaters suspended throughout. Flavour and aroma seemed lacking too. I meant to send a picture to CA but the date code was smudged and I never got around to it.

I get in most cases it's just cosmetic but to me it comes off a bit amateur-ish.

duckdown
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Post by duckdown »

^ Agreed, and it’s definitely as you describe, a clear beer with big flakes all throughout. It actually looked shiny like a snow globe.

duckdown
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Post by duckdown »

Two new collabs from these guys in a week! Found 3 other people to go in on a group buy with and split up the costs so I’ll be able to just commit to one or two of each instead of the whole 4-Pack

https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beers/ultra-soft/

https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beers ... istancing/

Anyone tried em yet

User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1906
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Tapsucker »

duckdown wrote:Two new collabs from these guys in a week! Found 3 other people to go in on a group buy with and split up the costs so I’ll be able to just commit to one or two of each instead of the whole 4-Pack

https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beers/ultra-soft/

https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beers ... istancing/

Anyone tried em yet
"Inspired by the classic Pina Colada, we used Pineapple, Coconut, Vanilla and Lactose "

I just threw up in my mouth a bit. Couldn't they have also thrown in some maple syrup and maybe Thai fish sauce? You know, like double down on a bad idea.

The Ultra Soft looks interesting though. I wonder if it will make it to the LCBO.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

roland
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Post by roland »

Tapsucker wrote:
I just threw up in my mouth a bit. Couldn't they have also thrown in some maple syrup and maybe Thai fish sauce? You know, like double down on a bad idea.
I do like the fruit concoctions from CA, but their recent Arts Fest Pineapple Vanilla IPA was downright awful.
Also, their porters and stouts never impressed me.

duckdown
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Post by duckdown »

roland wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:
I just threw up in my mouth a bit. Couldn't they have also thrown in some maple syrup and maybe Thai fish sauce? You know, like double down on a bad idea.
I do like the fruit concoctions from CA, but their recent Arts Fest Pineapple Vanilla IPA was downright awful.
Also, their porters and stouts never impressed me.
I had that Pineapple one, it was ok.. didn’t bother me too much although it sounds quite similar to this one

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10033
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Belgian »

I will try anything CA does, this Pineapple Vanilla one didn't do much for me but hey, they make plenty of iterations of hoppy ales so I'm good!

On a completely unrelated note, I just heard a trumpet player play "O, Canada" from an apartment balcony in Summerhill just after 7:30 PM. Everybody from blocks around was clapping, it was amazing. I'm proud to be a fellow Canadian with y'all at this time.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The new batch of Surround Sound is god damn excellent. Really unique tasting. Probably the best of this series so far for me.

duckdown
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Post by duckdown »

Belgian wrote:I will try anything CA does, this Pineapple Vanilla one didn't do much for me but hey, they make plenty of iterations of hoppy ales so I'm good!

On a completely unrelated note, I just heard a trumpet player play "O, Canada" from an apartment balcony in Summerhill just after 7:30 PM. Everybody from blocks around was clapping, it was amazing. I'm proud to be a fellow Canadian with y'all at this time.
Cheers man, very nice

duckdown
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: ELMIRA

Post by duckdown »

sofakingdrunk wrote:The new batch of Surround Sound is god damn excellent. Really unique tasting. Probably the best of this series so far for me.
This one keeps eluding me, did you get it at the LC?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:The new batch of Surround Sound is god damn excellent. Really unique tasting. Probably the best of this series so far for me.
This one keeps eluding me, did you get it at the LC?

Yep, I imagine it’ll be in all of them very shortly.

User avatar
Gedge
Bar Fly
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Dementia Five

Post by Gedge »

Ultrasoft is excellent. Tropical Distancing does what it says on the can. Veers into alcopop territory IMO. I bought four and will save the three I have left for warm days.

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10033
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Belgian »

EARL GREY WHEAT
Can from LCBO, I agree this is more of a Witbier than an American pale wheat. Earl Grey? Well OK oil of bergamot orange is a citrus yes? Acceptable in wheat Ale? And there are often tea-like flavors in classic English ales, correct? I am pleasantly surprised at the nice dryness and lemony orangey citrus supporting this nice wheat ale, it's not too sweet. Has a decent body and the black leaf tea emerges after some sips, it has a nice mineral and lightly tannic character.
The cornflower blossoms and coriander seem to add some herbality, maybe a floral note at the back of the palate - herbs almost vegetal not quite. Some gentle wheat malt sweetness and spicy phenols as well. I am enjoying this only cellar cool temp, YMMV. Has a pale golden cloudy hue. Not an unsatisfying beer actually, has kind of a grown up palate to it. Original.

SURROUND SOUND AZZACO, AMARILLO AND COMET

Nice variant of a good series!
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by seangm »

Origin of Darkness 2020 Series released: https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/1 ... -for-2020/

Four beers, each one in collaboration with a different brewery, including a Cognac barrel-aged Baltic Porter with Põhjala(!)

User avatar
S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1034
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote:Origin of Darkness 2020 Series released: https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/1 ... -for-2020/

Four beers, each one in collaboration with a different brewery, including a Cognac barrel-aged Baltic Porter with Põhjala(!)
I'm excited about these.

Post Reply