Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:
I was just ruminating, where is the big fancy LCBO at Bloor and Bathurst? Not a wealthy enough area? For a statist monopoly it sure has limited locations and limits what it sells very unreasonably at locations that would support better. Why is there ONE LCBO on Queen between Coxwell and the DVP, and it is so tiny? Does this service reflect the bookming residential and commercial scene?

Even the Queen Waverley store is a letdown for the expense and the massive size of the property it occupies, the beer selection is pedestrian despite the large room.
These are mysteries. In a 1KM stretch of Eglinton at Yonge there are 3 stores. Non are special. The area would be better served by one big well stocked one.
Ar the same time, there isn't a convenient BS nearby to drop off empties unless you have a car. So much emphasis on development in the area is to cater to non-drivers, yet...

If Donald Ford really wants to pander to alcohol consumers he should mandate recycling drop off in every LCBO. Same for licensed grocery stores. You sold it, you collect it.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Napalm Frog wrote:I was in Hamilton and did a pit stop here (I usually just do Fairweather and Merit on my annual visit). I grabbed the 6-pack of the 'Origin of Darkness' series, as it was 6 for the price of 5. These are an imperial stout series, each one as a collab with a different international brewery/restaurant, resulting in different adjuncts. I've become a bit jaded about CA lately, so this was a bit of an impulse purchase to share with family over the holidays. Anyone have tasting notes of these? The White Miso (Wild Beer) caught my eye because umami beers are fairly rare.
To answer my own question, I'm about halfway through and these are decent. Sampled the Miso, Chili, and Lemon/Strawberry variants. The same base of a chocolate heavy porter are shared consistently, and the adjuncts come in at varying levels. Miso was disappointing to me as I expecting a bit more: there was a minimal amount of umami. The chili in the Chili variant was nearly non existent, but the chocolate and honey added a nice rounded profile. Currently sipping the Lemon/Strawberry... It has a nice fruity profile that works well with a porter/stout, and is accentuated as warmed up, but the lemon sort of jumps in a bit too harsh just after the initial sip before mellowing out to a tart strawberry. Sourness can compound on the tongue and turn some people off.

EDIT: These are supposed to be bourbon barrel aged... I taste nearly none of that, easily overpowered by any adjunct. In fact, right now the Lemon/Strawberry is turning into a Starburst taste profile.

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

The Jan 7th batch of LITC is killer. They have really been off point with this beer lately, but these are back to their roaring best. Hopefully it stays that way.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I stopped by today in the early afternoon to pick up some stuff. It was very busy.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

-Liam- wrote:The Jan 7th batch of LITC is killer. They have really been off point with this beer lately, but these are back to their roaring best. Hopefully it stays that way.

I had a fresh(10 days or so old) Ransack the other day. I thought that this one had been lacking a bit lately as well. However, this can I picked up was glorious. Hopefully things continue to get back to where they were.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

-Liam- wrote:The Jan 7th batch of LITC is killer. They have really been off point with this beer lately, but these are back to their roaring best. Hopefully it stays that way.

I have been hesitant to purchase their beer for a while now, but I gambled on LitC this past weekend and won. Will continue to drink that batch.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Blasphomet wrote:

I have been hesitant to purchase their beer for a while now, but I gambled on LitC this past weekend and won. Will continue to drink that batch.
Arrgh! Every time I hear something good about these guys, the inventory runs low at my local store. :-?

Supply and demand I guess.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The January batch of LITC is spot on, as others have said. The No. 8 IPA is awesome, and Surround Sound is juicy and bitter AF. Collective Arts ahem been rocking it lately, and I still believe they're the best readily available brewery in the province. Throw in Lake Effect from GLB, and we really are spoiled for options this month.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Bobsy wrote:The January batch of LITC is spot on, as others have said. The No. 8 IPA is awesome, and Surround Sound is juicy and bitter AF. Collective Arts ahem been rocking it lately, and I still believe they're the best readily available brewery in the province. Throw in Lake Effect from GLB, and we really are spoiled for options this month.

I’ve heard really good things about the new Flying Monkeys ipa that’s just been released :-?

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Bobsy wrote:The January batch of LITC is spot on, as others have said. The No. 8 IPA is awesome, and Surround Sound is juicy and bitter AF. Collective Arts ahem been rocking it lately, and I still believe they're the best readily available brewery in the province. Throw in Lake Effect from GLB, and we really are spoiled for options this month.

I’ve heard really good things about the new Flying Monkeys ipa that’s just been released :-?
The Sparklepuff one?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

-Liam- wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:

The Sparklepuff one?

Yeah I think that was the name, not sure though.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm going to come off sounding tired and cynical here, but can I interest you in some bitcoin? How about gluten free toilet paper? Any other preferred venture of the day to sign up for?

We finally have a pretty good selection of delightful brewers and they start jumping the shark like this? :cry:

Cue that "singing" energry drink guy...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

#9. So it appears even their IPA tanks got contaminated. Can't any of these craft brewers keep their systems clean? What will happen after the hipster sour fad ends? They'll have to bur the brew house down and start over? :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.