Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

looks like Hazy State is making it's way to USA and probably LCBO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

CA Surround Sound, liking this even more this time with the fullness and the rich resiny hops that have a lemon zest nuance. Some vanilla and tasty tropical fruit. Only a little peppery, and big DIPA palate with alcohol slightly warm as expected and suitable dry to balance the hefty malt bill. Pretty amazing.

Edit - this is the new version Two.

Hops One has Simcoe Citra Galaxy

Hops Two has Simcoe and Amarillo
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:CA Surround Sound, liking this even more this time with the fullness and the rich resiny hops that have a lemon zest nuance. Some vanilla and tasty tropical fruit. Only a little peppery, and big DIPA palate with alcohol slightly warm as expected and suitable dry to balance the hefty malt bill. Pretty amazing.

Edit - this is the new version Two.

Hops One has Simcoe Citra Galaxy

Hops Two has Simcoe and Amarillo

I’m also loving this version of surround sound. Top notch stuff.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

another US label

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Anyone tried their new Tangerine Sour or the FEST IPA?

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

duckdown wrote:Anyone tried their new Tangerine Sour or the FEST IPA?
Tangerine Sour is ok but I prefer their dry hopped raspberry sour. It's available for online orders, just received mine yesterday.

I didn't order the Fest IPA, not a fan of fruited IPAs. Would try one can but not a 4 pack.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

ry_kinney wrote:not a fan of fruited IPAs
Damn, I love em. Top 3 styles

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

LCBO is aware of the problem though and giving gift card receipts no questions asked

The last four cans I’ve had of Ransack have been chunky. Two this week, and two probably a month ago....they tasted perfectly fine to me, but didn’t look great. I’m not one to completely write off a beer or brewery, because of some “chunky” beer like some other have been. Goes down just the same.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
duckdown wrote:Heads up there’s defective batch of Ransack The Universe going around. Bunch of guys who I chat with every day bought the beer and it’s got tons of chunky separated parts in the pour.

The last four cans I’ve had of Ransack have been chunky. Two this week, and two probably a month ago....they tasted perfectly fine to me, but didn’t look great. I’m not one to completely write off a beer or brewery, because of some “chunky” beer like some other have been. Goes down just the same.
I like the beer too, but the pics looked gnarly.. hopefully gets resolved as LCBO is giving out refunds for it and allowing people to keep the beer

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:

I like the beer too, but the pics looked gnarly.. hopefully gets resolved as LCBO is giving out refunds for it and allowing people to keep the beer

Yeah, they’ve Definately not been pretty to look at. The four cans I’ve bought had all been from Zehrs, didn’t realize it was such a widespread thing.

I remeber when Sparklepuff was having the chunks as well, I got one out of 3 cans I drank that was chunky. Again, didn’t look great but tasted just fine.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

I don't mind the chunks. Often those batches taste better (ie Sparklepuff, Life In The Clouds) From what I've heard and my very limited brewing knowledge it's due to too much protein.

Whatever, give it a swirl before you pour that last quarter! You'll be fine!

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

sofakingdrunk wrote:didn’t realize it was such a widespread thing.
yeah, several peeps i've seen report it now and even post their pics on the chatroom
I remeber when Sparklepuff was having the chunks as well, I got one out of 3 cans I drank that was chunky. Again, didn’t look great but tasted just fine.
Hahah yeah?? One of the guys sort of 'works' there i'll be sure to razz him about it

CHEERS

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

ry_kinney wrote:I don't mind the chunks. Often those batches taste better (ie Sparklepuff, Life In The Clouds) From what I've heard and my very limited brewing knowledge it's due to too much protein.

Whatever, give it a swirl before you pour that last quarter! You'll be fine!
I've been waiting to hear a definitive answer either way..

Is it drinkable?

Does it mean it's gone bad?

Do you try to not pour the chunks?

I had a couple from Montreal that had chunks the size of kraft dinner noodles

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Chunks in fresh beer are generally (I say generally because there are always edge cases) no big deal and cosmetic in nature. Flavorless proteins suspended in the beer or excess yeast in suspension that fit whatever reason didn't crash out when it should. Probably a sign of carelessness on the part of the brewery and should technically be considered a flaw if it's not intentional like it would be in a hazy beer, but it's largely cosmetic.

In old, especially hoppy, beers it can be a sign that the beer is way past prime. These will look more flakey than fresh beer with chunks. This is still just proteins falling out of suspension, but it's a sign of a beer that's past prime. This isn't really a sign of a mistake on the brewer's part, it's just old.

There also a chance of floaties in infected beer, but you won't need tips to know that beer is off. It will smell and taste awful.