Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Samuel Adams Utopia 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Samuel Adams Utopia 2015

Post by Ukie »

Saw an article in the new issue of Draft magazine and it had a picture of the Samuel Adams Utopia 2015 , MSRP $200!

It will be interesting to see if the LCBO carries it this year since they didn't last year and the $Cdn has tanked since the 2013 release.

Still will sell out if its here before Christmas, lottery probably and # is 336826.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I believe it is only released every second year, which is why the LCBO didn't sell it last year. I would expect them to have bottles again this time around. We've always enjoyed great pricing on Utopias, so perhaps that will disappear given the poor Canadian dollar. It will be interesting to see the pricing.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

What TheSevenDuffs said re: release schedule.

It did drop without any pomp and circumstance in several US markets (I'd been looking for it all year and basically given up). It does seem a bit late for the LCBO to wrangle it in by Christmas, but in 2013 preorders were done in late November (and the press release came on the 9th, soo...

I do think that the days of $115 dollar bottles are gone. Probably be cheaper than in the US, still.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Latest I heard was that it wouldn't be until Feb 2016

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Here? or in the US? It's already hit markets in MA, NY and possibly others.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

instantkamera wrote:Here? or in the US? It's already hit markets in MA, NY and possibly others.
Sorry, LCBO looking at maybe a Feb 2016 release.

I had asked about a pre-Christmas release but everything was iffy and was told more like February.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

LCBO needs to cellar it like all their other releases.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Ukie wrote:
instantkamera wrote:Here? or in the US? It's already hit markets in MA, NY and possibly others.
Sorry, LCBO looking at maybe a Feb 2016 release.

I had asked about a pre-Christmas release but everything was iffy and was told more like February.
Any more deets on this?

brew-san

Post by brew-san »

I asked some LCBO folks about Utopias 2015 at the Bourbon County Brand Stout event back in Nov and they said Feb. Feb is almost over now and there's been no news. :(

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

cfrancis wrote:LCBO needs to cellar it like all their other releases.
Looking like it might be in time to make your Christmas 2016 wish list.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

My dad clipped a blurb from the latest vintages magazine indicating that there will be a special Utopias release on September 23 (326 bottles; limit one per customer). The blurb refers only to the "Toronto location", but in context it also discussing growler fills of other Sam Adams beers so I am guessing that this will be happening at Summerhill.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Jim Koch will be in Toronto for an event as part of TBW so maybe that's tied to it?

http://torontobeerweek.com/events/samue ... -jim-koch/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:My dad clipped a blurb from the latest vintages magazine indicating that there will be a special Utopias release on September 23 (326 bottles; limit one per customer). The blurb refers only to the "Toronto location", but in context it also discussing growler fills of other Sam Adams beers so I am guessing that this will be happening at Summerhill.
I'd go to this and buy one if I liked Utopias very much. That's a pretty cool event!

I finally returned an empty growler there today, after half a year it in my trunk - nothing I saw in 'The' Growler Station grabbed me.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

SAMUEL ADAMS Utopias Exclusive tasting at lcbo

September 7, 2016 – The rare and revered Samuel Adams Utopias 2015 blend is coming to LCBO on Friday, September 23 – the first time in three years this coveted product has been available for purchase in Ontario.

To coincide with the return of one of the world’s most sought-after brews, LCBO is hosting an exclusive tutored tasting lead by Jim Koch, founder of the Boston Beer Company and brewer of Samuel Adams. The tasting will take place on September 23rd from 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at LCBO’s Summerhill location at 10 Scrivener Square in Toronto.

TICKETS
Tickets for the tutored tasting will be available for purchase by telephone beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, September 8th by calling the HelloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-668-5226 or 416-365-5900 in Toronto. There will be 24 tickets available at a cost of $75.00 per ticket with a limit of two tickets per customer.

TASTING
Ticket-holders will be guided through a tasting of the following Samuel Adams products, paired with specially selected cheeses from The Cheese Boutique. Each beer sample will be 1 oz.

• Boston Lager – LCBO #307330
• Rebel IPA – LCBO #411686
• Octoberfest – LCBO #207084
• Grumpy Monk – Growler exclusive
• Chai Saison – Growler exclusive
• Cinder Blonde Gratzer – Growler exclusive
• Utopias – LCBO #104711

Ticket holders will have the opportunity to purchase one bottle of Utopias following the tasting.

BUY UTOPIAS
On Friday, September 23, LCBO will have a total of 350 Utopias bottles available for customer purchase at the Summerhill location (including the 24 available to those who attend the tutored tasting).

Beginning at 4 p.m., Utopias will be available on a first-come, first served basis at a cost of $114.95 each, with a limit of one bottle per customer. Between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., customers will also have the opportunity to meet and mingle with Samuel Adams brewer, Jim Koch.

On Wednesday, September 28, beginning at 8:30 a.m., an additional 350 bottles of Utopias will be available for purchase through VINTAGES Shop Online. You must have an account set up in advance, which can be created here. Purchases may be made online only at www.vintagesshoponline.com or by telephone by calling the HelloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-668-5226 or 416-365-5900 in Toronto (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.). Due to the limited availability of this product, there will be a purchase limit of one bottle of Utopias per call.

GROWLER STOP
Starting September 23, a limited quantity of seasonal Samuel Adams products will be available for customers to sample and purchase at the Summerhill Growler Stop:
• Grumpy Monk – $16
• Chai Saison – $16
• Cinder Blonde Gratzer – $16

ABOUT SAMUEL ADAMS UTOPIAS 

Beer collectors and connoisseurs already know Samuel Adams Utopias is unique among beers. Utopias is an uncarbonated blend of batches, some of which have been aged in different wood barrels for more than 22 years. The 2015 blend was aged in single-use bourbon casks from the award-winning Buffalo Trace Distillery. 

With an alcohol content of 28%, Utopias is best enjoyed in a snifter glass at room temperature like a cognac or fine port. This latest batch has notes of fig, chocolate, molasses, tobacco and spice with a subtle sweetness and a deep, rich, malty smoothness. 

Samuel Adams Utopias is considered by some beer collectors to be the culmination of the art of brewing. The 2015 batch produced less than 10,000 bottles, of which the LCBO is offering 700 for sale.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks for the info Cass.
I really enjoyed my Utopias from a few years back. I'll be out of country during the tasting, but back for the online order option...so may have to try to get another bottle!