Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Godspeed Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's been a Godspeed kind of summer!

The Svetly 10°Pivo is drinking fantastically well, as does the Otsukaresama Dortmunder. Gorgeous liquid bread.

This Sabaku Pale with Sudachi citrus is drinking nicer than before, I think the cans had to 'settle' to meld the flavours blending in the dry bitterness and now I'm getting more roundness and beautiful fresh delicate citrus oil. Drinks well at 'cellar' (or 'cask') temperature.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having the Godspeed Taru Ni Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

This is thick and full but also has a nice light dried black fruit acidity. The French barrel oak is not just thrown in there, it's very defined and a complex taste layer all on its own. It compliments the beer IMLE the way good Limousin oak compliments a proper Chablis. The booze from the Chard wine is tasty and shapely not bossy.

Not a super toasty-ashy or overly hoppy-bitter brew, has some fine Arabica coffee like nuances, not too chocolatey or malty-sweet, its got a lot of 'shape' with the black fruit and it's very good!

Last edited by Belgian on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having another Godspeed Taru Ichi bourbon barrel aged coffee Imperial Porter.

That's fantastic, it has been developing in the cans a few weeks. Also having a Taru Ni Chard Barrel RIS, loads of flavor also.

Two very different beers, the only real commonality being that they are aged in different barrels, ie the Taru and they have maybe a similar grain bill yet very different result.

Great quality, highly individualistic beers I would expect from this brewer.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had the Godspeed "Nana" recently, brewed with Japanese shichimi spices and was really impressed.
Didn't know what to expect, and it turned out to be one of my favourite beers of this summer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Had the Godspeed "Nana" recently, brewed with Japanese shichimi spices and was really impressed.
Didn't know what to expect, and it turned out to be one of my favourite beers of this summer.
It's pretty intense, all these woody spices. A second can awaits me. The chili peppers are certainly there.

Opened a Svetly Lezak 12, packaged on 03 July 2020 and it seems slightly infected. There's a hint of Orval-like bretty funk in the taste and I think I will regretfully pour this one out. :roll: It's a fluke... Several hundred cans of Godspeed and this is a first.
Now having a Svetly Vicepni 12, packaged June 16 and it's a perfect can of beer! I want more please... 8)
In Beerum Veritas

cboden

Post by cboden »

Belgian wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:Had the Godspeed "Nana" recently, brewed with Japanese shichimi spices and was really impressed.
It's pretty intense, all these woody spices. A second can awaits me. The chili peppers are certainly there.

Opened a Svetly Lezak 12, packaged on 03 July 2020 and it seems slightly infected. There's a hint of Orval-like bretty funk in the taste and I think I will regretfully pour this one out. :roll: It's a fluke... Several hundred cans of Godspeed and this is a first.
Now having a Svetly Vicepni 12, packaged June 16 and it's a perfect can of beer! I want more please... 8)
I fear all my Taru Ichi cans are infected...the last one I opened was a gusher and extremely tart, I had to pour it. The rest of my cans are taut. Pushing my thumb on the can has absolutely no give to it compared to cans I've aged 1+ years which clearly have less pressure built up inside.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cboden wrote:I fear all my Taru Ichi cans are infected...the last one I opened was a gusher and extremely tart, I had to pour it. The rest of my cans are taut. Pushing my thumb on the can has absolutely no give to it compared to cans I've aged 1+ years which clearly have less pressure built up inside.
Oh no! GS will I think replace any product, of course but please bring them all by to Luc's attention if at all possible. Even opened cans. It's a major help if he has the info.

Super nice people there.

The brand new canning of Dortmunder and Svetly 12° are so good, in fact I think the Dortmunder is perfect already and IME the Svetly could use a week to settle down into its perfect balance (both brews are from just 4 days ago.)
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Can anybody tell me what the canning dates are on the current Dortmunder, Svetly, Ikinuki and Ibushi in the shop?

I’m buying for a friend who is picky and I dread asking for each at the cash and then perhaps turning them down.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Coronaeus wrote:Can anybody tell me what the canning dates are on the current Dortmunder, Svetly, Ikinuki and Ibushi in the shop?.
Svetly -28.08.20
Dortmunder.- -28.08.20

Both @ peak deliciousness.

Also the NONBE Oktoberfest Märzen is just out 21.09.20 - and the KIZUNA is soon to follow.
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Belgian wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:Can anybody tell me what the canning dates are on the current Dortmunder, Svetly, Ikinuki and Ibushi in the shop?.
Svetly -28.08.20
Dortmunder.- -28.08.20

Both @ peak deliciousness.

Also the NONBE Oktoberfest Märzen is just out 21.09.20 - and the KIZUNA is soon to follow.
Fantastic. Thanks much for this. Really looking forward to those other two as well. Cheers!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

cboden wrote:
Belgian wrote:

I fear all my Taru Ichi cans are infected...the last one I opened was a gusher and extremely tart, I had to pour it. The rest of my cans are taut. Pushing my thumb on the can has absolutely no give to it compared to cans I've aged 1+ years which clearly have less pressure built up inside.
Anyone else experienced this with he the Taru Ichi? I bought two cans a few months back, drank one immediately (was fantastic) and have been sitting on the other. That second can is indeed taut as mentioned above.

Also I noticed it's still for sale online, so how are the cans from the store if purchased now?
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Thoughts when you e tried it please.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Coronaeus wrote:
Tried one last night. Well constructed as expected for Godspeed, but nothing really stood out. It's a good beer and all but based on the description and collaboration with Hill Farmstead I was expecting a little more. Going to try another one tonight to make sure my palate wasn't off or whatnot.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

seangm wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:
Tried one last night. Well constructed as expected for Godspeed, but nothing really stood out. It's a good beer and all but based on the description and collaboration with Hill Farmstead I was expecting a little more. Going to try another one tonight to make sure my palate wasn't off or whatnot.
Thanks.