Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Half Hours on Earth

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Half Hours on Earth

Post by CoolB »

I'm surprised there isn't a thread opened about this brewery yet. The hype is huge and growing around this brewery. I had the pleasure of helping to review 4 of their beers last night on the Albino Rhino Beer Review and I was very impressed with each offering.

If you get a chance to try their Yalla Yalla Tart farmhouse ale series make sure you take advantage of that opportunity. I had the Yalla Yalla El Dorado and the Yalla Yalla Nelson Sauvin last night and they were both great with the Nelson Sauvin being just a bit better then El Dorado IMO. The smell was amazing. I'm not a huge fan of most Ontario sours so far but these 2 might help to change my mind. Both of these were 6.5 abv and very easy to drink.

Also had the Brett Bitter which again was great but word to the wise, don't drink that last sip full of the brett sludge lol. I think this one was 6.6 abv.

Finally I tried Lullaby, a Black Rye Farmhouse Ale Fermented in Oak @ 7.5%. Another great offering they hides the alcohol very well. Pretty much no astringency with any of these beers.

It's probably a good thing they are so far from me because I'd probably become a permanent fixture at the bottle shop lol.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

nickw

Post by nickw »

CoolB wrote:It's probably a good thing they are so far from me because I'd probably become a permanent fixture at the bottle shop lol.
You can order their beers online, and they'll ship to you via Canada Post. Perhaps even more dangerous!

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

nickw wrote:
CoolB wrote:It's probably a good thing they are so far from me because I'd probably become a permanent fixture at the bottle shop lol.
You can order their beers online, and they'll ship to you via Canada Post. Perhaps even more dangerous!
I heard that last night. If your order is 12 beers or more it'll only $16 shipping.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I've ordered a case from him, 3x4 different beers. All were fantastic. The yalla yalla citra and Nelson were fantastic, lullaby and barrel fermented bees! also great. I highly recommend. Believe the hype.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I enjoy the drive out to seaforth and go about 1/month. Although now it is wintery...so the rive wont be so fun.
Good beers for sure....lots of variation week to week...although usually just slightly tweaked versions of what seems to be the same base beer sometimes.
Totally, Control Bored, and many others are great...worth ordering from.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

The online ordering and shipping is a game changer for HHOE and the rest of the province if other breweries follow suit.

I highly enjoy most of their stuff. Not particularly farmhouse season so I'll likely place another order in the spring.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Just got my first order from them.

Boosh and or Rakau
Neptunati
Sage Farm
Yalla Yalla (El Dorado)
Yalla Yalla (Nelson Sauvin)

Will be trying some tomorrow! 8)
lister

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Half Hours on Earth is the best brewery in Ontario outside of Bellwoods. Neck and neck. HHoE is so fucking good. If you people aren't drinking it yet, then for shame. Forgo all the overpriced LCBO online bullshit and order from these people to get your sour and farmhouse fix.

This is a public service announcement.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Definitely well-earned praise. Glad to see these guys getting the recognition they deserve.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I've only had the chance to try one of their beers, a collab with block 3. A hopped saison that was really quite excellent. Looking forward to having more

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Got a shipment for my birthday! Two each of

Yalla Yalla Citra
Yalla Yalla Mosaic
Control Bored
Shores of the Cosmic Ocean

Tried the mosaic Yalla Yalla and Control Bored so far, both amazing and delicious. Already a huge fan and although they're on the pricey side, the beer is worth it.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yep these folk rule. Need to place an order soon.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I've got some recent Yalla Yallas as well...always tasty.
Wasn't sure about the cosmic beer, but only had a sample before....will give it a better go and open a can soon.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Chris wrote:Yup… they're winding down the brewery:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8Vyt4qGek/
For those of us not on instagram, could you copy text of the announcement here? :wink: Just curious as to the reason why they are shutting down.