Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Elora Brewing Company (n. of Guelph)

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Post Reply
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10030
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Earth

Elora Brewing Company (n. of Guelph)

Post by Belgian »

Seems this brewery is working hard to make a mark. I went for a flight of beers yesterday and all were shockingly good for a reasonably close brewery I barely heard mention of.

Obskura v.1 and v.2 are both really nice IPAs, with the 2 currently going for a touch more dankness in the different hopping ( 2 is on tap, both are in bottle shop at the moment.) overall their IPA thing is characterful and not quite so sharply resinous like Bellwoods IPAs, maybe that is the point. (The Obskura 1 was from a 500ml bottle. I just had it now and could easily enjoy a few more.)

The Elora Borealis Citra Pale and Ladyfriend IPA are also nice twists on pale styles, the latter showing an intriguing floral note you can find in really fresh late-hopped IPAS. The Elora Pale with Brett (12oz pour) was a special offering, also complex and nicely finished, maybe one of the more complex showing winey grape and mineral and complex wild florals above the refined dryness.

These guys owe no apologies to the 6ix, beer-wise and even the Three Fields Lager shone, a superbly put-together brew like the others (it is made with three grains lending it some roundness and character.)
Only thing I didn't try was the Elora George imperial Dark Wheat (Oaked, Brett) because moderation.

The food was quite decent, they have some talent back in the kitchen and the look of the place and atmosphere and service is really nice. It's worth a trip out on a nice day to wander around the Gorge and Grand River and the small but fetching downtown area. Also probably worth grabbing bottles for friends or for your lucky damn self.
In Beerum Veritas

User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Post by Craig »

You're underselling how nice the brewery is. That building is bloody gorgeous.

User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Craig wrote:You're underselling how nice the brewery is. That building is bloody gorgeous.
Truth.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 10030
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Belgian »

It is indeed pretty with those giant polished steel tanks and ancient timbers. Looks like those front doors roll up in the summer patio season as well.
Image
Image
Image
Thank you to sources of borrow'd images.
In Beerum Veritas

User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Post by Craig »

These guys have become one of my semi-regular places to order from since I moved to Guelph. Free shipping and all that. I'm particularly fond of their Lagers, particularly the Pilsner Elora, which is also attractively priced at 3.14 for a tall boy. Every fall they put out some dark lagers too, which I always get and enjoy.

I thought to write about them today because they have a couple new releases I'm interested in. One is an English mild, which I just love seeing people make.

The other is this one: https://elorabrewingco.myshopify.com/co ... n-landbier A Franconian Landbier. What is a Franconian Landbier? I admit I had no idea when this popped up. From looking it up, it seems to just be a very loosely defined style/naming convention adopted in the German countryside. I'm expecting something darker than a Kellerbier but lighter than a Dunkel or Marzen. I'm also expecting it to be unfiltered and hoppier than neighbouring styles. Anyone know more about this style than I do? I got all that from 5 minutes on Google.

seangm
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by seangm »

Elora is a solid brewery, I've generally been impressed with what I've had.

As far as Landbiers, I've had precisely one actual German landbier from Privatbrauerei Einsiedler. It was filtered and definitely more commercial, but right as you described between a kellerbier and dunkel with regards to malt. It was coppery in colour with a solid malty backbone and touch of fruitiness. Hop character was present, actually a bit earthy. It seems to be a rustic lager but open to interpretation, as some other commercial German landbiers are a lighter golden, looking closer to a kellerbier or even helles.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what to expect is a bit of a mystery lol

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am These guys have become one of my semi-regular places to order from since I moved to Guelph. Free shipping and all that. I'm particularly fond of their Lagers, particularly the Pilsner Elora, which is also attractively priced at 3.14 for a tall boy. Every fall they put out some dark lagers too, which I always get and enjoy.

I thought to write about them today because they have a couple new releases I'm interested in. One is an English mild, which I just love seeing people make.

The other is this one: https://elorabrewingco.myshopify.com/co ... n-landbier A Franconian Landbier. What is a Franconian Landbier? I admit I had no idea when this popped up. From looking it up, it seems to just be a very loosely defined style/naming convention adopted in the German countryside. I'm expecting something darker than a Kellerbier but lighter than a Dunkel or Marzen. I'm also expecting it to be unfiltered and hoppier than neighbouring styles. Anyone know more about this style than I do? I got all that from 5 minutes on Google.


I’ve felt that they have really stepped up their game the past 3 years or so. Even more so in the lager department ever since lagerdave moved to Elora from Welly.
The brewery is a quick 15 min drive from where I work so I stop in quite regularly. The food is pretty damn solid and always a good variety of beer styles to choose from.

User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:01 am
Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am These guys have become one of my semi-regular places to order from since I moved to Guelph. Free shipping and all that. I'm particularly fond of their Lagers, particularly the Pilsner Elora, which is also attractively priced at 3.14 for a tall boy. Every fall they put out some dark lagers too, which I always get and enjoy.

I thought to write about them today because they have a couple new releases I'm interested in. One is an English mild, which I just love seeing people make.

The other is this one: https://elorabrewingco.myshopify.com/co ... n-landbier A Franconian Landbier. What is a Franconian Landbier? I admit I had no idea when this popped up. From looking it up, it seems to just be a very loosely defined style/naming convention adopted in the German countryside. I'm expecting something darker than a Kellerbier but lighter than a Dunkel or Marzen. I'm also expecting it to be unfiltered and hoppier than neighbouring styles. Anyone know more about this style than I do? I got all that from 5 minutes on Google.


I’ve felt that they have really stepped up their game the past 3 years or so. Even more so in the lager department ever since lagerdave moved to Elora from Welly.
The brewery is a quick 15 min drive from where I work so I stop in quite regularly. The food is pretty damn solid and always a good variety of beer styles to choose from.
Agreed on all counts. Their IPAs seem to be trending hazy and their sours quick and fruity, neither of which are to my tastes particularly, but their lagers are terrific, and have definitely been on an upswing the last few years. Every now and then they put out a nice little porter or stout or something too. One of those breweries that makes everything pretty well, it's just a question of whether what they're putting out happens to match my personal preferences.

User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Post by Craig »

seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am Elora is a solid brewery, I've generally been impressed with what I've had.

As far as Landbiers, I've had precisely one actual German landbier from Privatbrauerei Einsiedler. It was filtered and definitely more commercial, but right as you described between a kellerbier and dunkel with regards to malt. It was coppery in colour with a solid malty backbone and touch of fruitiness. Hop character was present, actually a bit earthy. It seems to be a rustic lager but open to interpretation, as some other commercial German landbiers are a lighter golden, looking closer to a kellerbier or even helles.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what to expect is a bit of a mystery lol
Yeah, that lines up with what I read elsewhere. The beer got delivered today, so I'll probably try one tonight or tomorrow.

seangm
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 pm
seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am Elora is a solid brewery, I've generally been impressed with what I've had.

As far as Landbiers, I've had precisely one actual German landbier from Privatbrauerei Einsiedler. It was filtered and definitely more commercial, but right as you described between a kellerbier and dunkel with regards to malt. It was coppery in colour with a solid malty backbone and touch of fruitiness. Hop character was present, actually a bit earthy. It seems to be a rustic lager but open to interpretation, as some other commercial German landbiers are a lighter golden, looking closer to a kellerbier or even helles.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what to expect is a bit of a mystery lol
Yeah, that lines up with what I read elsewhere. The beer got delivered today, so I'll probably try one tonight or tomorrow.
Enjoy!

Post Reply