Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rouge River

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Rouge River

Post by Blasphomet »

Couldn't find a thread for this brewery which is surprising (perhaps just missed it, but did a search too) but I had something to say... seeing people discuss the price of the beer at the new place Godspeed...

Speaking of expensive.... Rouge River. I grabbed six bottles a few weeks ago and it was like $37 or something. And the Dankster's Paradise looks and smells good, but I found it super boozy.

portwood

Post by portwood »

The beer is good, but yeah, its not cheap.
$5.50 to $6.50 for 500ml bottles
Pale ales, IPA's, sours
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Good. Still waiting on great. I think they have potential. Their winter IPA and winter Pale ales were really good. I think better than the spring ones.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Apparently, the plan is not to repeat any beer. So, their next Winter IPA and Winter pale ale will be different (by using different hops?) than the last Winter IPA & pale ale.

I'm not sure I would make that business decision. However, with the understanding many beer geeks rarely buy the same beer twice (untappd tickers), they may be on to something.

Being new to beer I'm in no position to judge a beer as being good/great/epic. Being a Markham resident and wanting them to succeed I'm biased. Having said that, other than their first batches back in October, I think their stuff is well above average (I'm stingy when it comes to calling something "great").
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I still haven't gotten into untapped. And I started getting into the craft beer in like 2010.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Blasphomet wrote:I still haven't gotten into untapped. And I started getting into the craft beer in like 2010.
how about:
beer advocate?
rate beer?
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:I still haven't gotten into untapped. And I started getting into the craft beer in like 2010.
how about:
beer advocate?
rate beer?
I use them as reference but not to log anything if that's possible.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

portwood wrote:Apparently, the plan is not to repeat any beer. So, their next Winter IPA and Winter pale ale will be different (by using different hops?) than the last Winter IPA & pale ale.

I'm not sure I would make that business decision. However, with the understanding many beer geeks rarely buy the same beer twice (untappd tickers), they may be on to something.

Being new to beer I'm in no position to judge a beer as being good/great/epic. Being a Markham resident and wanting them to succeed I'm biased. Having said that, other than their first batches back in October, I think their stuff is well above average (I'm stingy when it comes to calling something "great").
Interesting about the non-repeating beers. I mean they could just minimal tweak something and give it a seasonal / month label. Like "Winter IPA February 2018" as they seemed to be doing some fairly generic naming to some beers already.

I've mostly only had a variety of pale ales and IPAs from them....but look forward to more of the sour / Belgian inspired beers.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Is this place worth stopping at on a trip heading north (going right by there on the 407), or should I just wait to stop at Redline like I normally do?

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

These guys are one of my fav breweries in the GTA and would highly recommend. They do both hoppy brews and sours amazingly well, but even other styles are really good, too.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Masterplan wrote:Is this place worth stopping at on a trip heading north (going right by there on the 407), or should I just wait to stop at Redline like I normally do?
If you enjoy hoppy pale ales, IPAs, and fruity sours (not a fan myself but others rave about them), they are worth a stop.
Just today they released Coconut IPA... another well made beer!!!
@markhamwhisky

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have enjoyed almost everything I have tried from them.

DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Anyone know what’s going on at Rouge River? They posted a story on Instagram saying they’re “closed for renovations”? I had an order canceled just before it was to ship, and got a reply about “restructuring”. All their social media platforms have gone quiet.

Very cryptic. I hope all is well with them as they’re one of my favourite breweries.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

DaveD wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:13 am Anyone know what’s going on at Rouge River? They posted a story on Instagram saying they’re “closed for renovations”? I had an order canceled just before it was to ship, and got a reply about “restructuring”. All their social media platforms have gone quiet.

Very cryptic. I hope all is well with them as they’re one of my favourite breweries.
they are still posting stories on instagram as of today, maybe they are just renovating?

DaveD

Post by DaveD »

I hope that’s all it is. There is no beer available to purchase on their website.