Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Badlands Brewing Caledon

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks to all for the info on this brewery. Recently tried the Distorted and Through and was very impressed by both. Can't wait to try more from these guys.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Through the Glass has been a bit hit or miss for me - Batch I had in April was fantastic, the last couple batches haven't been as good (but still above average).

The Distorted is the star of the show for me.Reminds me of the stuff coming out of the Hudson Valley as of late.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

sprague11 wrote:Through the Glass has been a bit hit or miss for me - Batch I had in April was fantastic, the last couple batches haven't been as good (but still above average).

The Distorted is the star of the show for me.Reminds me of the stuff coming out of the Hudson Valley as of late.

Couldn't agree more with this entire post.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Well, I finally was fortunate enough to have a neighbour bring me 1 of each beers from last weekends drop

Straight up, that Textbook IPA is one of the finest fucking beers I’ve had all year

Color is nuclear yellow, nose is potent, alcohol is blended beautifully, taste is a 10

I don’t have enough good things to say about it.

I sincerely hope I get to try more from these guys.. pretty much my dream brewery style wise from what I’ve seen much like Messorem in Montreal

I am dying for BarnCat to start doing them steady

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Does everyone here know about Evolve or Die? Every year they make a DIPA with extreme hopping rates. Last year's was the most aggressively hopped beer I have every had. This year's is less aggressive, but a downright outstanding beer. They're expensive, but I think they're worth it as a once a year expense.

https://www.badlandsbrewing.ca/products ... 6f30&_ss=r

They also just announced a change to "annual" releases, which is interesting. Basically just putting a year on the label for each beer, because they know there will be variations from year to year.

https://www.badlandsbrewing.ca/blogs/ne ... l-releases

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Reading back through the thread now, it's crazy to me that these guys were ever in TBS.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Craig wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:25 am Reading back through the thread now, it's crazy to me that these guys were ever in TBS.
Badlands is insane

To start on a 1BBL system, brew 3-5 times a week, package 700 - 1000 on a self built bottler and then self distribute to TBS while working other full time jobs is insanity

Then, to grow that to a 15BBL brewery with retail and draught on a farm in Caledon, well thats also crazy

Those guys work incredibly hard and deserve the praise they get

Great beer and even better people

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Craig wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 am Does everyone here know about Evolve or Die? Every year they make a DIPA with extreme hopping rates. Last year's was the most aggressively hopped beer I have every had. This year's is less aggressive, but a downright outstanding beer. They're expensive, but I think they're worth it as a once a year expense.

https://www.badlandsbrewing.ca/products ... 6f30&_ss=r
I just picked this up, was a while since I ordered from them. It's great (as are all their beers)

FYI, they also changed their on line ordering. It used to kick off Friday nights @ 7:00 PM, now its Fridays at noon.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I checked out a Badlands tap takeover at the Wooly in Guelph last night. Badlands tap takeovers are ridiculous. They're just like "Here's 18 hazy IPAs, a festbier, a stout and a porter."

The porter was incredible.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Craig wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:24 am They're just like "Here's 18 hazy IPAs, a festbier, a stout and a porter."
Hahahaha, exactly why this "hype" brewery isn't on my radar.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:31 pm
Craig wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:24 am They're just like "Here's 18 hazy IPAs, a festbier, a stout and a porter."
I'd consider it to be the best brewery in Ontario, though. In other words, not hype.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

shintriad wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:19 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:31 pm
I'd consider it to be the best brewery in Ontario, though. In other words, not hype.
Maybe, and I mean maybe, they make the best hazy beers in Ontario (Barncat and Third Moon could certainly hold that spot as well).
But there's so much more I'd rather drink than hazy ales. To each their own.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Wow I can’t believe i started this thread over 5 years ago! I was lucky. A coworkers farm backs onto theirs so I heard about them at the beginning. I still make it up to their farm in Cheltenham 3 or 4 times a year 😀

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm Maybe, and I mean maybe, they make the best hazy beers in Ontario (Barncat and Third Moon could certainly hold that spot as well).
I find all three them (and many of the other breweries in Ontario known for their hazies to be honest) a bit inconsistent (though I haven't had as much Barncat recently to really say) but it's often tough to tell if the beer is meh, batch to batch consistency can be an issue, or if it's just my own tastes. I find so many hazys that people online are raving about how fruity they are but they often just taste like green vegetation to me.

Like it lures you in with fruit up front then slaps you in the face with rough veg and "hop haze". I suspect many of them would do well to do more of a centrifuge and get more of the sludge out of the beers but I don't know if that's accurate or if I am talking nonsense :) Anyone know if that's a freshness thing or if I am just particularly sensitive to green hop veg flavours? Is that a thing?

For Badlands specifically I hope to go check them out when the weather gets nicer to (hopefully) be impressed by the beers at the source vs. second hand at bottle shops and bars.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

JerCraigs wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:48 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm Maybe, and I mean maybe, they make the best hazy beers in Ontario (Barncat and Third Moon could certainly hold that spot as well).
I find all three them (and many of the other breweries in Ontario known for their hazies to be honest) a bit inconsistent (though I haven't had as much Barncat recently to really say) but it's often tough to tell if the beer is meh, batch to batch consistency can be an issue, or if it's just my own tastes. I find so many hazys that people online are raving about how fruity they are but they often just taste like green vegetation to me.

Like it lures you in with fruit up front then slaps you in the face with rough veg and "hop haze". I suspect many of them would do well to do more of a centrifuge and get more of the sludge out of the beers but I don't know if that's accurate or if I am talking nonsense :) Anyone know if that's a freshness thing or if I am just particularly sensitive to green hop veg flavours? Is that a thing?

For Badlands specifically I hope to go check them out when the weather gets nicer to (hopefully) be impressed by the beers at the source vs. second hand at bottle shops and bars.
I don't think it's just you, I've had the same experience with a number of hyped up hazy IPAs. There are several I've struggled to finish because of the amount of vegetal matter, or in some cases it's the unpleasantly thick and cloying texture.

Now that said, I've definitely enjoyed a number of IPAs in this style, of what I've tried from Badlands I generally like more than I dislike, but it seems my favourites are the ones that the hardcore hazy fans might find to be on the thinner/lighter side.