Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Signal Brewing Co., Belleville

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Signal Brewing Co., Belleville

Post by Masterplan »

Pretty awesome brewery/restaurant, especially with their patio in summer. A heritage industrial building on the river.

Their beers are average to good on the Ontario craft scale, but if you're looking for a place to stop on the 401, it's pretty close to the highway 4mins? and the menu looked quite nice.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A heritage industrial building on the river.
^ this alone makes me want to check it out. Beer, it's always a learning curve. They will get better.

How's the food, worth a nosh or a meal?

Appears to be a good open space to have a band stage, if they can get the very hard, echoic acoustics under control.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I didn't eat just stoppef for a brief tour and the bottle shop, but from what I've heard and reviews the food is decent, but the service might be a spotty.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Technically in Corbyville, but that’s splitting hairs. They are located in the former Corby Distillery building. It is a lovely setting on the Moira River. The patio will be spectacular when the leaves turn. Went there on our anniversary for lunch and sampled all the then available beers, which were all good, with a couple that went to very good. The food is well presented and of good quality. My only complaint, and it’s a significant one, is that service becomes very slow when they get busy. In an attempt to cut corners I believe they understaff themselves. I live in Belleville and have heard this complaint from many others, so it’s not a one off experience for my wife and myself. It took about twenty minutes for us to get our final drink order after the lunch time rush arrived. I should add that it is my understanding that their beer was being contract brewed by Prince Eddy’s in Picton for the first few months they were open.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Jumping in to say that yes the patio is killer. Went as a group of 9 over the summer. Thought the food was solid, flat breads and cheese boards etc. All the beer was good but nothing stands out. They had two lagers, a pale ale, an IPA and some type of sour that no one tried. They were good enough that I got a few cans to go but really just a nice beer that you could enjoy in the sun.

It is a very nice space, I got the impression that they were doing weddings regularly there but my recommendation is mainly about the patio along the river. They are about 10 minutes north of the 401. Compared to a miserable meal in an en route or crappy fast food off the highway, I would take this brewery every time.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sad news from Signal:

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2021/1 ... sses-away/

Jordan had some unusually direct strong words about the brewery not too long ago:

Not sure what the story on this was.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A strange post made by Signal mentioning this guy's passing and then moving on to talk about a merchandise sale. Seems like a odd couple of things to talk about together.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Boy that's strange.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Very weird. COVID is a shitty way to die.

Everyone, Please, if not already, get vaccinated and get your booster.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

It is certainly a sad state of affairs reading what happened over at signal brewing. I was reading over the comments on that post on my Instagram, and someone had a comment about "how appropriate is it to sell shirts on your owners passing?" I simply liked the post, and now they have banned me from their Instagram. It goes to show they don't even understand how untasteful that is. I am pretty sure the owners son works for the company as well which makes this all even more confusing. I hope people in the know will take there business elsewhere.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Damn that is indeed weird; almost comes across as something from a dark humour/satire film or something. Act fast, our owner has died sale is on now!

At least break it into two posts... yeesh.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Anyone have any idea the future of this place? It sure is a sweet little spot.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's for sale: https://www.quintenews.com/2022/02/28/281001/

5 million and it's yours!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Craig wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:37 pm
How much swag do you get with that?

Sorry, too soon?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:13 pm
Craig wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:37 pm
How much swag do you get with that?

Sorry, too soon?
Part of me wants to be disgusted with this joke....but I will admit I chuckled.