Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Grand River Brewing

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Grand River Brewing in Cambridge Up For Sale

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2018/04 ... -for-sale/

Follow the link in this story to the Royal Lepage video. I found it interesting.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I'm pretty sure It's been 'for sale' for like 10 years now

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm not in the know on stuff like this, but doesn't 1.1 million for a brewery of that size, with all the equipment installed, seem a little low?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote:I'm not in the know on stuff like this, but doesn't 1.1 million for a brewery of that size, with all the equipment installed, seem a little low?
I'm not in the know on stuff like this either, but I had the same thought. The sales pitch seems to focus on selling the building/property, but not the business itself.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Craig wrote:I'm not in the know on stuff like this, but doesn't 1.1 million for a brewery of that size, with all the equipment installed, seem a little low?
I'm not in the know on stuff like this either, but I had the same thought. The sales pitch seems to focus on selling the building/property, but not the business itself.
As soon as I posted this, a thought just hit me. Does Grand River actually own the building? Maybe it's a lease and the owner is selling the building/property.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Kind of sad that this brewery has faded into irrelevance. It was an important craft pioneer when it first opened, at least to me. The original Galt Knife was a terrific beer, Plowmans was a serviceable English pale ale, and Russian Gun has, at times, been an excellent imperial stout. Oh well.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

They produced The second Ontario wild/sour on record, a malted down flemish red
Reliable Beer Critic

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

northyorksammy wrote:They produced The second Ontario wild/sour on record, a malted down flemish red
I still have bottles of both the Oaked and Unoaked Vlaams Rood. It changed more over time more than any beer I’ve ever cellared and was marvelous up until about 2016. Still drinkable, but definitely on the downward slide.

Townhall Lager and Hannenberg Pills were beers I loved back in the day. I remember going to the first Curmudgeon and Russian Gun releases/beer tastings and being super excited and having a lot of fun.

I hope Grand River continues in some form when whoever buys the space goes forward.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

it was the first quaffable wild/sour, to upgrade my comment. Yes, here's to Grand River. Great space too.
Reliable Beer Critic

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

The linked article wrote:Magnotta Brewery is on the cutting edge of craft brewing in Ontario
OK, I chuckled at that

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

darmokandjalad wrote:
The linked article wrote:Magnotta Brewery is on the cutting edge of craft brewing in Ontario
OK, I chuckled at that
Yes, Collective Arts, Great Lakes and Magnotta

Steve

Post by Steve »

darmokandjalad wrote:
OK, I chuckled at that
haha glad I was not alone on laughing at that

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Steve wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:
OK, I chuckled at that
haha glad I was not alone on laughing at that
You're not alone, not by a longshot I would surmise.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

A quick scan of their portfolio shows a lineup consisting of an English IPA and two lagers. Yup, cutting edge.