Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

FoBaB

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

FoBaB

Post by Provost Drunk »

I'm headed to FoBaB with a buddy in November. First time for both of us. Anyone able to shed some light on what we can expect and how to best maximize the experience?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I haven't been in a few years, but I don't think it changes much from year to year so this is probably all still valid:

Expect an impossible assortment of incredible beer. Like, such a volume and variety that prioritizing or trying everything you want is impossible.

They'll give you a little book at the start, your tokens are printed in the back. The tokens are a technicality, there's no way to use them or buy more. Unlimited sampling.

There generally won't be lines other than at the Goose Island booths and when the awards are handed out people rush to the winners.

Food on site sucks.

Looooooong line to get in when the doors open.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If anyone's interested in what FOBAB is like nowadays, I went last weekend and did another 'Quick Beer' video about it.

http://www.aquickbeer.com/#fobab

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

That seems way smaller and more relaxed than I expected. Did it get busier than that?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:08 pm That seems way smaller and more relaxed than I expected. Did it get busier than that?
Nope. They moved to a massive space, the basketball arena for the university team. There were beer booths where the concessions are, and you could sit in any seat and walk up and down the aisles. There was a ton of room. People hung around the tables where beer was poured which is expected, but easy to find quiet spots all over the place.

And with the new space, there was certainly an increase in capacity, but it didn't sell out. Feels like all the drinkers that want to be there are there (COVID hesitation aside).

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Very interesting, I think that's the first I've seen a sports stadium/arena used for a beer fest. Certainly helps with seating which is usually hard to come by at festivals.