Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Willibald

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Willibald

Post by S. St. Jeb »

https://drinkwillibald.com/

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2019/1 ... s-brewery/
BakaGaijin wrote:
duckdown wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote: Willibald in Ayr(basically beside Cambridge) are doing some killer IPA’s. Wave maker is also pretty solid overall. And I’m a big fan of Northworks ipas as well, but they seem to fly under the radar.
Dude!! I literally JUST discovered (and placed an order) at Willibald yesterday.. How did I not know about these guys? They sound like our version of a Badlands or Auval. I had to send it to a buddies house for delivery though since they dont include Elmira

Only thing is, apparently my buddy is somewhat familiar with the place and says they were sort of beer Amateurs in the beginning. He thinks it’s the owners son and probably is either a collab with someone or there is some new staff in place or something

Either way, the pics I’ve seen looked amazing. I should hopefully have it today

Please let me know of any and all IPAs in this area!! Much appreciated man cheers
I think one of the guys that works there now used to work at Monkish. Joe Freund is his name. If you check his Instagram you can see he works there now and used to work at Monkish.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

duckdown wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote: I think one of the guys that works there now used to work at Monkish. Joe Freund is his name. If you check his Instagram you can see he works there now and used to work at Monkish.
Awesome! Well then I guess that explains it. I had 3 types of their beer and really liked all 3 — looking forward to seeing their new releases

Thanks for the info!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Anyone tried their gin? I hear it's great, just want some confirmation as it'll probably last me a few years (as gin generally does in my household).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

shintriad wrote:Anyone tried their gin? I hear it's great, just want some confirmation as it'll probably last me a few years (as gin generally does in my household).

I have tried one, about a year ago. I remeber it being quite oaky, which gave it some real unique characteristics. It was nice.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I put in an order with this place recently and was very impressed. The export lager was terrific, and the IPAs were all good. Plus they let you order from some other places around. Just put in another order and grabbed some Slake stuff to try too.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

But the don't ship outside the GTAish area... :(

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'll drink extra to make up for you.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Craig wrote:I put in an order with this place recently and was very impressed. The export lager was terrific, and the IPAs were all good. Plus they let you order from some other places around. Just put in another order and grabbed some Slake stuff to try too.
Definitely! I got some good stuff from my order recently. Nice touch to have guest beers!

portwood

Post by portwood »

shintriad wrote: Nice touch to have guest beers!
Many Ontario breweries now have "guest" beers in their tap rooms that they sell to walk in (or curbside pick-up) sales but none that I know of are shipping. Could be because they don't have the bag of chips to include as the "food" to comply with the liquor laws.

seems to be the "wild west" since the pandemic started as more and more places stretch the AGCO rules
@markhamwhisky

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

portwood wrote:
Many Ontario breweries now have "guest" beers in their tap rooms that they sell to walk in (or curbside pick-up) sales but none that I know of are shipping. Could be because they don't have the bag of chips to include as the "food" to comply with the liquor laws.

seems to be the "wild west" since the pandemic started as more and more places stretch the AGCO rules
Dunno if it's allowed, but Willibald are shipping other beers.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Craig wrote:
portwood wrote:

Dunno if it's allowed, but Willibald are shipping other beers.
are they shipping them through a courier or delivering themselves?

distr0

Post by distr0 »

don't think they ship *any* beer, but if you're in one of their own delivery areas they will bring whatever you want.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It depends where you live. The free delivery area is their own people, other places where you pay (GTA included) it's kwiksave according to their site.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Yeah i'm not sure. It's kinda confusing since every beer you view says "Reminder: We do not ship beer via Canada Post or any other courier service at this time. " but that FAQ about beer delivery says they use kwiksave.

I'm like 15 minutes from them so none of this really applies to me anyways :D actually I think i'm gonna go swing by there now!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

portwood wrote: seems to be the "wild west" since the pandemic started as more and more places stretch the AGCO rules
I really feel like we are one step away from honour system sales: Beer is left out on a table with a cash box to leave your payment. :P
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.