Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2020 Holiday Gift Packs at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

JaseWescott wrote:Fuller's Vintage Ale 2020 reads
For the Vintage Ale 2020, we've stayed true to our roots - sourcing all our ingredients here in the UK. The story starts with DRC®, a Double Roasted Crystal malt from East Anglia that promises malty sweetness rich in caramel and raisin. Then there's the Herefordshire hops - Jester® and Godiva- adding ripe berry fruit and tangy citrus notes to the signature marmalade flavours of our famous Fuller's yeast.
Holiday Gift Packs are on the LCBO Floor.

This years is pretty decent, better than last years for sure. Not one worth stocking up on though IMO.

Picked up one of the Samuel Smith packs as well, surprised and happy to see the Taddy Porter as part of the pack. First time I’ve seen it this side of the pond. The oatmeal stout
Especially, and the nut brown are always delicious too

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:Fuller's Vintage Ale 2020 reads
For the Vintage Ale 2020, we've stayed true to our roots - sourcing all our ingredients here in the UK. The story starts with DRC®, a Double Roasted Crystal malt from East Anglia that promises malty sweetness rich in caramel and raisin. Then there's the Herefordshire hops - Jester® and Godiva- adding ripe berry fruit and tangy citrus notes to the signature marmalade flavours of our famous Fuller's yeast.
Holiday Gift Packs are on the LCBO Floor.

This years is pretty decent, better than last years for sure. Not one worth stocking up on though IMO.

Picked up one of the Samuel Smith packs as well, surprised and happy to see the Taddy Porter as part of the pack. First time I’ve seen it this side of the pond. The oatmeal stout
Especially, and the nut brown are always delicious too
Samuel Smith's variety pack is pretty good, beers still come in 550 ml foiled bottles as opposed to newer 500 ml cans, glass w/ pint marking and 2 coasters too :D Taddy Porter is also in singles

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ter-407999

S M A

Post by S M A »

seangm wrote:Finally, O'Hara's makes a return. While I wish it was just the stout individually, I'll take what I can get; probably my all-time favourite Irish dry stout. Some other good looking packs in there as well- time to start saving.
So the O'Hara's pack was in both of the KGBOs that I've been in recently. 3 x 500 mL, as indicated in the listing. All of the packs I saw/got contain 1 of the dry stout mentioned above, 1 'Extra Stout' at 6% which I'm excited to try, and 1 Irish Red. I already got several packs because I also loved the regular stout that was around a few years back.

Interestingly, the back of the pack says that it contains '3 of...' a fairly sizeable list of beers, including IPAs, DIPAs, and other variations of Reds and stouts and stuff. As I said, all of the ones I got have the same 3 beers in them, and when I noticed this at the 2nd store I saw it I checked other packs in the display. Including ones that seemed to be from other cases. But they all had those same 3 beers, which makes sense for a gift pack for import from an Irish brewery. So I'm 95% sure that they all have the same 3 beers, but if anyone does happen to notice packs with other beers, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I will try some of the beers over the weekend hopefully.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S M A wrote:
seangm wrote:Finally, O'Hara's makes a return. While I wish it was just the stout individually, I'll take what I can get; probably my all-time favourite Irish dry stout. Some other good looking packs in there as well- time to start saving.
So the O'Hara's pack was in both of the KGBOs that I've been in recently. 3 x 500 mL, as indicated in the listing. All of the packs I saw/got contain 1 of the dry stout mentioned above, 1 'Extra Stout' at 6% which I'm excited to try, and 1 Irish Red. I already got several packs because I also loved the regular stout that was around a few years back.

Interestingly, the back of the pack says that it contains '3 of...' a fairly sizeable list of beers, including IPAs, DIPAs, and other variations of Reds and stouts and stuff. As I said, all of the ones I got have the same 3 beers in them, and when I noticed this at the 2nd store I saw it I checked other packs in the display. Including ones that seemed to be from other cases. But they all had those same 3 beers, which makes sense for a gift pack for import from an Irish brewery. So I'm 95% sure that they all have the same 3 beers, but if anyone does happen to notice packs with other beers, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Oh that's interesting. I grabbed a pack this past weekend but didn't even check, just saw the O'Hara's and picked it up. I'll have to take a look at what mine contains when I get home.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It's the La Chouffe gift packs that have my eye. It's been a couple of years since we've seen some blonde, and hopefully, it will have a few interesting things in it. This is if it shows up. The new contracted LCBO shipping company apparently is slowwwwwww.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I'm enjoying the St Bernardus (always stellar) and a new one for me at least St-Feuillien. The St. Bernardus is probably better as it has 6 different brews but both are delivering. I didn't really need another glass but disappointed that I didn't get a Chimay pack. Not sure if it was just more popular or had less units to distribute but I haven't seen it in the East end of Toronto.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

seangm wrote:
S M A wrote:

Oh that's interesting. I grabbed a pack this past weekend but didn't even check, just saw the O'Hara's and picked it up. I'll have to take a look at what mine contains when I get home.
Well I'm super late in my response, but the O'Hara's has the Irish Red, Irish Dry Stout and Leann Follain which is an Irish Extra/Export. It's a worthwhile pack, the red was nice- veering into an almost dark ale roast territory. Dry was classic, dry and roasty as you'd expect. The Extra was especially good and had a rich, deep flavour profile with fruit, chocolate, molasses, licorice and even notes of leather.

Lots of great packs this year. I enjoyed the Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter a lot more than their India Ale, which IIRC was what came in the pack along with Nut Brown and Oatmeal the last time it came here. It's nice to see they've also offered Taddy standalone, as I liked it as much as the Oatmeal Stout. Hopefully it's a sign that we'll see more Sam Smith singles since I've really enjoyed the Imperial Stout and Organic Chocolate Stout in the past.