Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Only Cafe (Toronto) - property listed on MLS

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

The Only Cafe (Toronto) - property listed on MLS

Post by Gedge »

Very, very sad if this mean the end of the Only. Hands down my favourite bar in the city. This has been my local for nearly 15 years since moving to the east end.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2263 ... o-danforth

chingobingo

Post by chingobingo »

A post on Reddit in r/torontocraft beer mentioned that the owner of The Only owns the building and they're looking to sell it and keep the business open. Due to this, they are having a hard time finding a buyer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Only Cafe (Toronto) started as a long-time single storefront, wisely expanded into two with a larger back patio + hostel lodgings before going into a third and much more recently a fourth storefront at a faster pace. It was always my favorite Toronto bar since the mid-90's (remember the amazing brunch back then?)

That just-renovated fourth space was barely opening when the 2019/20 Coronavirus suddenly became a serious threat in our city. That's unforeseeable, and I won't forget that last night in March we were there having beers, joking, and bumping elbows (when that was still a thing.) Before that time it seemed this place would just be here forever. That was the dream.

Reading the MLS listing again I'm not hopeful they plan to continue the concept if they can cash out sooner rather than later. It's sad to lose a place with so much local connection and history. This could realistically be just another condo in 5 years.

Yet perhaps the dream of 'cool' bars like this still happening out on Danforth is far from over.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's a horribly written article. They seem to draw conclusions but have no actual confirmations. I'm not sure what is different now then when it was listed last time. They just wanted to feel out the market to see what they could get?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Horribly written describes a lot of BlogTO articles lol

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:01 pm Horribly written describes a lot of BlogTO articles lol
That's the truth. At least some of them seem to be rooted in something concrete, this seems kind of speculative.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

While I can certainly agree that BlogTO and this article are generally speculative, I think getting quotes from the realtor saying the owner is moving on from the business is more information than we had before.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.13.34 PM.png
From The Only Cafe's instagram page. The have these all over the bar too. :D

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is pretty funny. I immediately felt some on social media declaring instant doom was mis-informed. Perhaps I was right :P