Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cryo Hops for Dry Hopping

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Cryo Hops for Dry Hopping

Post by dale cannon »

Anyone have experience with this? I’ve avoided dry hopping in the past due to too many batches with an overly vegetal flavour. Seems these will reduce that risk.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dale cannon wrote:Anyone have experience with this? I’ve avoided dry hopping in the past due to too many batches with an overly vegetal flavour. Seems these will reduce that risk.
you can def dry hop with cryo

how long are you leaving your beer on the hops when dry hopping?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I've had the same experience but with non-cryo hops. I put it down to incomplete fermentation, as the beer improved as is bottle conditioned for another week.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

matt7215 wrote:
dale cannon wrote:Anyone have experience with this? I’ve avoided dry hopping in the past due to too many batches with an overly vegetal flavour. Seems these will reduce that risk.

Thanks Matt, I’ll give them a try. Would 1oz. in a corny keg for 4 days be a good start?
I haven’t brewed in a decade or so, but I recall trying for shorter and shorter durations with similar results (grassy, vegetal flavour that persisted). It could have been hop freshness, poor technique leading to oxidation, or otherwise. I’m now fermenting in a temp controlled unitank and doing pressurized transfers etc so hopefully I see better results.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dale cannon wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

Thanks Matt, I’ll give them a try. Would 1oz. in a corny keg for 4 days be a good start?
I haven’t brewed in a decade or so, but I recall trying for shorter and shorter durations with similar results (grassy, vegetal flavour that persisted). It could have been hop freshness, poor technique leading to oxidation, or otherwise. I’m now fermenting in a temp controlled unitank and doing pressurized transfers etc so hopefully I see better results.
yeah that small amount of hops and quick contact time should lead to no vegetal flavours in your beer, also, if you are just using an ounce im assuming you are just gonna open a 1 oz pack from a commercial packed product so the hops should be in good shape. dry hopping with hops that have been opened and then sitting around awhile is a potential for what you were previously experiencing

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

That’s it yes, 1oz each of cryo simcoe, citra and centennial individual packs from yakima valley. Just need to decide which to use.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

dale cannon wrote:That’s it yes, 1oz each of cryo simcoe, citra and centennial individual packs from yakima valley. Just need to decide which to use.
cant go wrong with citra or simcoe imo