Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Goose Island Black Friday & Bourbon County Stout

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have a sentimental connection to it for sure. Back in the old days before everything was crazy in the world I went to a couple of the Black Friday releases at the Goose Island pub in Chicago. Some great memories.

I'd happily take recommendations for local bourbon barrel imp stouts that folks have enjoyed!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

If you introduce the value-for-dollar part of the equation, I'll entertain the notion that there are better options in Ontario. But I'm fairly price inelastic when it comes to something that I really like and big barrel-aged stouts and barleywines (unadulterated with any pastry adjuncts) tick that box for me. I'd go the other way and say BCBS is worth the hype. It's a style that's often duplicated, but seldom replicated. So many of them have base stouts that aren't big enough to absorb the barrel treatment and I think the ability to meticulously blend different batches gives larger producers like Goose an unfair advantage over smaller breweries that are putting all their faith in one barrel.

The best Ontario brewed barrel-aged stouts for me would be from Third Moon (when they don't go the adjunct route) and Barncat (no longer an option, and now I'll need to sweat the decision every time I want to crack one of my remaining beers from them).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm not a bourbon barrel stout connoisseur, so this is more a question than an assertion, but isn't Double Tempest the obvious answer?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:16 pm I'm not a bourbon barrel stout connoisseur, so this is more a question than an assertion, but isn't Double Tempest the obvious answer?
That's the one that comes to mind - I should give it a try again. Lots of them seem to have other funky ingredients in them, such as this year's Collective Origin of Darkness, which I've enjoyed in the past.
https://collectiveartsontario.com/pages ... ess-series

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Provost Drunk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:16 pm I'd go the other way and say BCBS is worth the hype. It's a style that's often duplicated, but seldom replicated.
I'm with you - I'm an unashamed fan of BCBS and haven't been able to find a straight-up bourbon barrel stout in Ontario (so w/o the extra flavourings and such) that is quite the same, IMO.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

As mentioned, Third Moon and Barncat have done some wonderful stuff in this category. Both have made bourbon barrel impy stouts far superior to the BCBS I had.

Amsterdam and Collective Arts, as mentioned, have also had some solid entries into this category. Great Lakes Solstice is another one. I'm going to give a shout to Wellington's M31 Andromeda, which for less than $6/335ml can is a steal, even if it isn't as good as it's more expensive Ontario counterparts. It's actually somewhat similar BCBS as it's more subtle, not the huge flavour bombs like TM and Barncat... maybe not as complex, but for the price compared to BSBC, well I can't see myself ever getting a bottle of BSBC again tbh.

On the flip side, unfortunately Nicklebrook, who may have arguably had the best bourbon RIS ever at one point, has totally fallen by the wayside in this category.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:46 pm ...On the flip side, unfortunately Nicklebrook, who may have arguably had the best bourbon RIS ever at one point, has totally fallen by the wayside in this category.
Ugh, yeah. Some of those 'Bastard' series were SO good.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The price on BCBS is what it is, but I can't get behind calling that beer underwhelming. It's been great every time I've had it.

Double Tempest is my favourite Ontario beer of the style. You can get it online from Amsterdam right now, shame they don't deliver to Guelph.

Bellwoods BOYD was pretty good. I think that release has come and gone already this year.

One other favourite from Ontario is Great Lakes anniversary stout. I wonder when they'll make it next, I really loved that beer.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

The decline of the Bastard series has been disappointing. In the mid to late 2010s those were some of the best BA stouts going. Last I had was around 2020/2021 and I noticed a significant drop-off. It was watery, unbalanced. Hopefully it returns to form.

I'd recommend trying Left Field's Blackburne series- they've got a 3-pack of BA variants plus the original for $19 at the LCBO right now. They're perhaps not as good as Goose Island, but like the Wellington series, they are a good value comparatively.

Despite my earlier comment about not bothering to buy BCBS since 2020, I will say I respect that it's a straight up BA RIS which can be harder to find. I find the adjunct on top of adjunct thing is a little much these days, it gets to a point where you obscure any nuance. Less is more, am I right? In fact going further I often most enjoy plain ol' imperial stouts even sans barrel-aging. OG Tempest is one of my favourite Ontario beers.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

seangm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:40 am In fact going further I often most enjoy plain ol' imperial stouts even sans barrel-aging. OG Tempest is one of my favourite Ontario beers.
Wellington Imperial Stout is still going strong it seems. Really liked it back in the day. Is it still as good as ever? Going back even further, I used to look forward to Grand River Russian Gun every winter, but I know that one is long gone, lol.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 am
seangm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:40 am In fact going further I often most enjoy plain ol' imperial stouts even sans barrel-aging. OG Tempest is one of my favourite Ontario beers.
Wellington Imperial Stout is still going strong it seems. Really liked it back in the day. Is it still as good as ever? Going back even further, I used to look forward to Grand River Russian Gun every winter, but I know that one is long gone, lol.
Haven't had it yet this year but every year previous and I'd say it's still as good as ever.

Perhaps with the caveat for those who are less familiar, it really is more of a traditional English take on an RIS; i.e. how they likely tasted back in the day. It's not nearly as potent or aggressive as the typical American-style imperial stouts more commonly brewed here. But for that I love it, it's fantastic and I look forward to its return every year- also makes me wish Fuller's RIS still showed up here. Vintage Ale is great, happy to see it back, but my god I love their RIS.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:48 pm They did, however, mention that BCS'22 is currently on tap at the Brewhouse so I might head down and have a glass anyway.
Update - I visited today and they said they did not actually have BCS'22 (or any others) available. Too bad.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

seangm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:26 am
midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 am
Haven't had it yet this year but every year previous and I'd say it's still as good as ever.

Perhaps with the caveat for those who are less familiar, it really is more of a traditional English take on an RIS; i.e. how they likely tasted back in the day. It's not nearly as potent or aggressive as the typical American-style imperial stouts more commonly brewed here. But for that I love it, it's fantastic and I look forward to its return every year- also makes me wish Fuller's RIS still showed up here. Vintage Ale is great, happy to see it back, but my god I love their RIS.

Just had the standard Welly RIS this past weekend and it's as solid as ever. Maybe even more so, so either they're tweaked it for the better, or I like many others laminating in here, would just prefer non-adjuct beers.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

^Great to hear. Hasn't shown up at any of the LCBOs I frequent so looks like I might have to travel.

And for BA stouts, one I completely forgot about- Never Say Never from Rouge River. Totally forgot I had some of those and cracked open a 2021 can aged in Elijah Craig barrels. Phenomenal. I would say that series can hold its own against BCBS. 1-2 years in the can seems to be the sweet spot, the bourbon is very punchy initially.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Craig wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:07 am Double Tempest is my favourite Ontario beer of the style. You can get it online from Amsterdam right now, shame they don't deliver to Guelph.

Was hoping they'd ship to Georgetown as I have family there, but no. Disappointed, I would have liked to order this among other things.