Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What to do with the Bar Towel Forums?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 pm OK, I've set it so you can go to the user control panel > board preferences and choose between "Bar Towel Dark Mode" and "Bar Towel Light Mode".

Folks, take your pick!
Can you rename it "Daytime Drinking" and "Nighttime Drinking"? :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 pm Can you rename it "Daytime Drinking" and "Nighttime Drinking"? :D
Ha, great idea!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

OK, some more things today.

I've set up a redirect to the forum from Bartowel.com. Maybe it will be easier to find.

I have taken the original content site of Bartowel and moved it to http://thebartowel.com with a cleaner, fresher skin.

So the forum is at bartowel.com and the archived blog is thebartowel.com. Maybe that's confusing, but for now it splits things into their own domain properties. We'll see how it goes!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

This is great! So cool to see some upgrades to the forum.

Is there a way to adjust the margins/columns so long strings of text, like this one, wrap earlier? While it makes the page longer, it's easier to read on widescreen monitors — 60 characters per line (or 5 words on average) is considered best for readability, less on mobile. Don't know if that will work with phpBB, though.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

shintriad wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 am This is great! So cool to see some upgrades to the forum.

Is there a way to adjust the margins/columns so long strings of text, like this one, wrap earlier? While it makes the page longer, it's easier to read on widescreen monitors — 60 characters per line (or 5 words on average) is considered best for readability, less on mobile. Don't know if that will work with phpBB, though.
Thanks! Are you on the light mode or dark mode?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Not critical to increasing traffic or participation, but...

...I sometimes look at the Members list. It shows when we joined. Is it possible to add a column showing when they were last active. You can see that when you look at an individual member, so I think it would be easy to do.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Cass wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:22 am
shintriad wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 am This is great! So cool to see some upgrades to the forum.

Thanks! Are you on the light mode or dark mode?
I'm testing out the dark mode...pretty nice so far.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:18 pm Not critical to increasing traffic or participation, but...

...I sometimes look at the Members list. It shows when we joined. Is it possible to add a column showing when they were last active. You can see that when you look at an individual member, so I think it would be easy to do.
It’s weird, that column shows up for admins, but not for regular users. Not sure why as as you’ve pointed out it is available on the profile page. Will see if I can add that.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I've tried to send a couple of PMs recently, and they seem stuck in the Outbox.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Outbox is where they sit until the recipient reads them.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:47 pm Outbox is where they sit until the recipient reads them.
OK, thanks. Wouldn't have guessed that.