Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Are you travelling for beer again?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Are you travelling for beer again?

Post by Cass »

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts and comfort level is around beer travel again, now that the land border is reopening next week.

Personally, I took the plunge and did a trip to Chicago on my own in August. At that point they had re-instituted mask mandates inside, so it was very similar to what it is like in Ontario. They didn't have capacity rules so that was a bit weird, but now those are gone here too. However, it also felt like there were no tourists around so it seemed like I was just with locals for the whole week. I had a fair amount of anxiety around the potential of a positive test before returning home, which would have prevented me from flying. Not sure if that anxiety is founded or not. However, it was negative so got home ok. Overall a really nice trip and happy to have been able to travel somewhere new (but familiar) again. I can post some specific updates in the local guide forum.

Also have a VIA train trip booked to Montreal in December. I see that they have reduced the last call hours in Quebec, but I've also noticed that some places (DDC specifically) are simply opening earlier to make up the difference. I suppose that is better for someone like me anyway as I don't need to stay up until 3am :)

Anyone have any trips planned? Or staying close to home for the time being?

Also, if anyone has any q's about what it was like to travel, let me know.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm looking forward to some travelling for beer. Will feel much better after my booster. Also, keeping to smaller places that frankly I prefer anyway. (who goes to a 30,000 fan hockey game for "good" beer? LOL!)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm staying home for the time being. My kid is 4, so I'm still both needed at home to be a dad, but also a little wary about added risks with her still being unvaccinated. I just recently started going to pubs again, but I'm toying with the idea of a weekend trip to Toronto at some point this winter which would be fun.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Not really. We are still actively avoiding the TTC, crowds, and indoor spaces. We did some camping trips and managed to include several breweries for beer to go, and a handful of patios that felt safe /were pretty much empty. Froze our butts off at one brewery in October - It had been snowing not too long before! :) Not sure what the New Year will bring.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I would plan driving trips to Buffalo and Montreal, as much to just chill as anything.

I don’t think things are going to be totally safe for many years, if in fact ever. I do need to fly in the next year or so to see relatives… I do feel the need to be extremely cautious.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:…beer to go, and a handful of patios that felt safe /were pretty much empty. Froze our butts off at one brewery in October - It had been snowing not too long before! :) Not sure what the New Year will bring.
I think goose down outerwear etc. is going to become extremely popular… :D
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Last road trip that involved some serious brewery pickups for me was Prince Edward County. Some great spots there, and a nice part of the world! Also not bad for wine and cider, of course.

In the foreseeable future, I see no downside to discovering more of our great province...I've probably tried maybe a third of the breweries here.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Now that the PCR test for short trips has been lifted (takes effect November 30), my annual Christmas beer haul from Port Huron is back on. Wolverine Market has growlers of Zombie Dust, Alpha Klaus, Permanent Funeral, etc. from Three Floyds, so looking forward to grabbing a few of those.

Unfortunately the legendary Fuel Woodfire Grill has closed, eliminating a great craft beer and barbecue option for border runs. I am eyeing the Raven Cafe for lunch instead, as they have fresh Two Hearted on tap and some beer pals have told me it's a nice spot.

My wife and I are also planning a brief trip to Portland, Maine in the summer, based on glowing recommendations from friends. Vaccination rates there are comparable to here, so not too concerned safety-wise. Everyone will need to continue exercising caution, of course, but with vax rates approaching 85-90% in many places, booster shots rolling out, and anti-viral treatments proliferating, I'm hopeful we'll reach the endemic phase of this horrible virus sooner than later.
Last edited by cratez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

shintriad wrote: In the foreseeable future, I see no downside to discovering more of our great province...I've probably tried maybe a third of the breweries here.
^^This^^
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

shintriad wrote: In the foreseeable future, I see no downside to discovering more of our great province...I've probably tried maybe a third of the breweries here.
I've been working on trying a beer from every Ontario brewery and I'm down to 46 untried of 334 brick and mortar breweries currently open. (per my spreadsheet, no idea what the "official" # is at) I've only actually been to 171 of them so still lots to explore!

My lack of international trips in the last year+ meant to scratch my travel itch I got guidebooks for Ontario, Quebec, and The Maritimes from the library and have generated pretty extensively researched Word files and custom Google Maps with research for all three. I like to plan apparently :) If anyone is interested I can share the maps via PM.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Yes, definitely travelling again. I am tired of living in fear of the virus and have really felt like this thing is over ever since I got my second jab over the summer. I've been out to Vancouver a couple of times, NYC and San Francisco. I'll share some of my recommendations in the travel forum when I have a chance.

All three cities have similar rules to Toronto - proof of vax needed for indoor dining and masks required on public transit and in most indoor spots (either by law or by internal policy). I never felt unsafe or worried. Wear a mask when required (or even when not as a courtesy to others). Wash your hands often (good practice this time of year in any event). But time to get back to "normal" is my take.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

JerCraigs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 pm
I've been working on trying a beer from every Ontario brewery and I'm down to 46 untried of 334 brick and mortar breweries currently open. (per my spreadsheet, no idea what the "official" # is at) I've only actually been to 171 of them so still lots to explore!

My lack of international trips in the last year+ meant to scratch my travel itch I got guidebooks for Ontario, Quebec, and The Maritimes from the library and have generated pretty extensively researched Word files and custom Google Maps with research for all three. I like to plan apparently :) If anyone is interested I can share the maps via PM.
i would def look at these maps, as i travel about for hikes several times a month and would like to visit local places
Reliable Beer Critic

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

Made a quick trip to Niagara Falls NY for 3 bottles of Sam Smiths Winter Welcome being held for me...keep up my Christmas gift tradition for 2 people at least!! Triple vaxxed but still had hassle returning. US border security didn't even want to see the certificate and no one wearing masks at the store except me. :