Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anyone get a beer advent calendar?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Anyone get a beer advent calendar?

Post by Cass »

I got a Brock St. advent calendar box for my birthday. Day 1 - Peppermint Stout! A fun idea and the first time I've had a beer advent calendar. Nice to have a Xmas seasonal on the first day.
IMG_1802.jpeg

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The Wooly Pub in Guelph sold an advent calendar sourced from various local breweries this year. I didn't get it, but the first beer was a Barncat IPA, so I think those that did are in good hands.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I was considering one but decided against it since I'm trying to reel in my beer budget these days. I got one a couple years ago and it was fun, nice to see so many options nowadays.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

My wife bought me one from Toronto Brewing, and the first day was Sierra Nevada Torpedo. A touch old, but haven't had it in awhile so it was a nice suprise. Looking forward to the other days!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

We did the Indie Advent calendar again this year. Indie is probably one of only a handful of breweries I'd trust to give me 24 random beers these days!

HeadyestTopper

Post by HeadyestTopper »

We did an exchange at work. 25 people each brought a beer and each person left with 25 different beers. We drink and share them daily in a chat. Been a good way to get people together.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

HeadyestTopper wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:06 pm We did an exchange at work. 25 people each brought a beer and each person left with 25 different beers. We drink and share them daily in a chat. Been a good way to get people together.
Very cool idea. Nice way to stay festive for sure.

Brock St day 2: Blonde. A basic one after the Xmas seasonal. Will be interesting to see if there's thought put into the selection flow every day.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Stumbled across this thread by chance from a couple of years ago.

Every year I am tempted to buy a beer advent calendar.....but I've never pulled the trigger. Has anyone else purchased one in 2021 or last year and can offer comments on fun and value?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:56 am Stumbled across this thread by chance from a couple of years ago.

Every year I am tempted to buy a beer advent calendar.....but I've never pulled the trigger. Has anyone else purchased one in 2021 or last year and can offer comments on fun and value?
I'm much the same. Finally decided to last year and got the Collective Arts one. It was not worth it. A good half of it or more was their regularly produced beers, many available at the LCBO including one of their IPAs that had been canned way back in July. I was very disappointed. They did include several Origin of Darkness beers but it wasn't really enough to redeem it overall.

Years ago, 2017 I think, I got a German import advent and while a lot of the beers were ok at best, it was interesting to try stuff we'd never get over here.

So tl;dr - it's hit and miss. Value is definitely questionable because you pay a huge premium, but if you get an advent with unique beers then I'd say it's fun.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:19 am Years ago, 2017 I think, I got a German import advent and while a lot of the beers were ok at best, it was interesting to try stuff we'd never get over here.
It's funny you should mention this - I was at a Costco in Detroit a couple of weeks back on a business trip, and I saw the German beer advent calendar. Lots of stuff I had never heard of and it looked interesting just for that reason.

As I only had a 1-case duty free limit I went with a case of the Cleveland Great Lakes Xmas Ale, which I was pleased to find. That'll do me for my festive drinking!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:56 am
seangm wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:19 am Years ago, 2017 I think, I got a German import advent and while a lot of the beers were ok at best, it was interesting to try stuff we'd never get over here.
It's funny you should mention this - I was at a Costco in Detroit a couple of weeks back on a business trip, and I saw the German beer advent calendar. Lots of stuff I had never heard of and it looked interesting just for that reason.

As I only had a 1-case duty free limit I went with a case of the Cleveland Great Lakes Xmas Ale, which I was pleased to find. That'll do me for my festive drinking!
Looks like it's from the same importer as the one I had way back, Original Kalea. Came with a glass too although sadly that has long since perished.

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

I was looking into a few beer calendars this year, but in the end none of the ones I looked at felt like they were worth it.

One with beers from a bunch of different breweries does sound pretty interesting, especially if it's aimed at the craft beer crowd, so it hopefully wouldn't be just the most obvious stuff.
Would be also interesting to see two or three breweries collaborating for one.

Wife did get me a whisky calendar (I think from Master of Malt) couple years back that was amazing.