Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thirsty & Miserable

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Thirsty & Miserable

Post by Tapsucker »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am saddened to hear this place is closing by end of year. I'm also surprised not to see an entry for them here, so to show some respect, I am creating one.

Yes it's a dive, yes there is no food (it`s surrounded by fabulous takeout they `let`you bring in if you are respectful), yes the place is so small there is almost a 1:1 ratio between patrons and taps, but there is always excellent and interesting beer, fantastic staff and great patrons.
It is one of the best places to meet some really interesting people in this city. I suggest anyone in the area stop by to help them clean out the fridge before they close. I will.

I wish Katie all the best.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Very surprising to see T&M had never been brought up before!

I didn't go there terribly often during the years but the times I did it was always memorable, a blending of dive bar and good beer coupled with all the smells and peculiarities of Kensington Market.

I hope in this boom era of brewery taprooms that good beer bars, and divey ones that that, can still survive.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

This has always been my favourite kind of bar. It seems like the industry is moving toward huge places with great food and decor, which are fine and all, but I love me a dive bar with good taps. I've always gravitated to places like The Only, Cloak & Dagger, Pharmacy Bar and T & M.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sad to see that T&M didn’t get to have the blowout end of year celebrations that they had planned. A buddy and I were going to try and get there if they stayed open that last week of the year, but it seemed like staff COVID ended that. It was a fun spot and will be remembered!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Cass wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm Sad to see that T&M didn’t get to have the blowout end of year celebrations that they had planned. A buddy and I were going to try and get there if they stayed open that last week of the year, but it seemed like staff COVID ended that. It was a fun spot and will be remembered!
Without much notice or fanfare, they quietly opened on NYE. Katie was slinging pints of the two remaining kegs in plastic cups to go, selling off the remaining bottles/cans in the fridge and giving away some glassware and other odds-and-ends like tap handles. I was able to stop by briefly for an obligatory final pour (and to buy the last couple of bottles of Peche Mortel!) Not quite the final visit that me and my friends had envisioned for the holidays, but was happy to stop by one last time.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Also - and this is very much unofficial - but I have heard that T&M may one day re-open in Hamilton! I popped in late on a weekday in November when I was in the area for what turned out to be my last "real" visit. The bartender mentioned that Katie bought a place in the Hamilton area and would consider eventually reopening a bar there. She's apparently friends with the owner of the Farside, so the blueprint of moving from Kensington to James North is laid out. Nothing imminent, as she apparently wants to take some time away from the stresses of ownership. I'm not holding my breath, but would love to see this happen as I have a few friends in the Hammer and there are already some great draws.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Awesome info about Hamilton, that would be great if that came together.

Max Morin wrote about T&M and beer bars in general in the Growler:

https://on.thegrowler.ca/2022/01/18/pou ... relevance/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 am Awesome info about Hamilton, that would be great if that came together.

Max Morin wrote about T&M and beer bars in general in the Growler:

https://on.thegrowler.ca/2022/01/18/pou ... relevance/
when this article was posted I couldnt believe how poorly written, under researched, and frankly completely off base is was
the globe and mail story that has already been posted to the forum is much more accurate in terms of whats actually happening in the current craft beer scene
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ed-market/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Loved that place, semi-legendary TO hangout to remember. Good beer and no BS or attitude. Actually the bartenders kept a careful eye that patrons kept things reasonably classy and respectful. The vibe was be nice, be there to drink beer, or get out.

Plus Katie makes awesome playlists. This was to me essentially a Punk bar whether or not the music was all punk at a given moment, it was the general ethic. The bar name is of course a Black Flag song title.
All of this somehow fit with Katie’s razor sharp sense of curating a small but excellent tap list, these offerings written stylistically on a salvaged scrap of cardboard packaging material. They were also quick to offer a taste of anything before you ordered.

See you on the Hammer side… with the funky Christmas lights laying on the bar… till then cheers, it’s been a blast.
In Beerum Veritas