Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What’s in the back of your fridge?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

What’s in the back of your fridge?

Post by GtownRandy »

I saw a post today about Celebrator, which I had one of in the back of the fridge from 4 or 5 years ago. What else does everyone else have at the back of their fridge for years?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

750 ml of Nickel Brook Kentucky Bastard 2016 (re-labelled at 14.5%) — Perhaps it's the strength of this bottling or the annoying wax seal, but I've never cracked this one despite lugging up to the cottage at least once.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The oldest in the fridge is Bellwood Lamda I got courtesy of munrets. I've only had it a little over a year but its 5+ years old I think. It's one of those "If I drink it, it will be gone!" beers that I often reach for but haven't drank yet. :D

In the cellar i have:
Lindemans Cuvee Renee 2016
3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze 2016
3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek 2016
Drie Fonteinen Armand & Gaston 2018
De Dolle Oerbier 2018
Amsterdam Double Tempest 2018

I was planning a vertical of Double Tempest as I have several vintages now but with no opportunity to share during COVID that's a lot of strong beer for two people! Maybe we'll do a Double Tempest week and crack open one per night? Similarly, I have drank a few of the older lambics we had but they lend themselves to sharing which hasn't been happening for us. I had some 2014 Orval but we drank the last of those not too long ago.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Thomas Hardys

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The oldest thing in my cellar is a Mamouche from 2011. But I don't think that's really the question, the oldest thing just sorta kicking around is a Royal City Flanders red I'm hanging onto for a friend.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I am guilty of neglecting quite a lot, here are my worst infractions.

GLB 25th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout
A Le Coq Imperial Extra Double Stout - 2001
St-Ambroise Special Reserve Barrel Aged Stout - 2009 (qnty 2!)
St-Ambroise Special Reserve Ale - 2010
Flying Monkey's BNL Double Chocolate Stout - don't recall the vintage

The last one I doubt I'll ever drink. I had tried it and hated it and then got this bottle as a gift. TBH, the barrel aged stuff will also probably sit there indefinitely too. I'm not into those styles much.

There's more in the cellar, but I'm afraid to look.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:55 pm TBH, the barrel aged stuff will also probably sit there indefinitely too. I'm not into those styles much.
Time for a Bar Towel garage sale? :wink:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

You know, if this was posted just a few months earlier I'd have a lot more, but I made a point of clearing out some older bottles over the past few months or so. The oldest included Amsterdam Six Boroughs brewed for Toronto Beer Week 2015 (not infected!) and the GLB 30th Anniversary BA Quad.

Seems I've done a good job, oldest I've got lying around is a 2018 Krampus from Saulter Street, and a 2018 Wild Turkey BA Never Say Never from Rouge. I find I haven't been buying as many big, expensive bottles these days as I'm trying to reign in the spending a bit.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:01 pm
Tapsucker wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:55 pm TBH, the barrel aged stuff will also probably sit there indefinitely too. I'm not into those styles much.
Time for a Bar Towel garage sale? :wink:
Hmmm. That's a thought. Maybe a charity auction? I would spend all proceeds raised at a local bar to help them through these times.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

2 bottles of He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16 Anniversary Ale bought probably around 2012.

Had 1 couple years back really aged well very smooth, still potent!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Oh god, I have so much stuff collected over the years that I never drank but didn’t have the heart to get rid of. Barley wines, imperial stouts, barrel-aged beers, etc. Stuff going back to the early 00’s. I should post up some pics of what’s there.

I’ve long thought about some kind of social media / content experiment to document opening, sipping and either drinking or dumping. Maybe some BT folks would be interested in participating?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'll come drink your cellar any time, Cass.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Sounds like a fun idea! I haven't seen that kind of thing online in any organized way. I have a poorly kept beer cellar that'll probably yield some drain pours (which, let's face it, I'll drink anyway).

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I have a bunch of vintages of Gouden Carolus Cuvée Van de Keizer 2013, '14,' 15', '16. Oldest is probably a St. Bernadus Quad from 2011? Along with a bunch of other trapists (Achel, Orval, Rochefort) all of similar early 10's vintage.

Seems I never have the occasion to open. All told there's about 6 dozen bottles from the previous decade down there.

I made a new years resolution to drink my way through it before adding anything new...

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Great thread, motivated me to look on the shelves. My oldest is a 750ml of Chimay blue from 2006 followed by a couple of 2007 and 2008 Thomas Hardy ales. Also have a magnum (or 1.5l) of Chimay Blue 2013.

I drank all my Fuller Vintage ales last year - they ranged from 2007-2012.