Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sourpalooza: hosted by Exchange Brewery, 2022 March 26

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Sourpalooza: hosted by Exchange Brewery, 2022 March 26

Post by S. St. Jeb »

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2022/0 ... -festival/

https://exchangebrewery.com/product-cat ... urpalooza/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I like sours OK, but only want one once in a while. I am astounded by how many sours are available. It seems like a large number of Ontario breweries make one, and in some cases several. I keep wonder if the market is real, or just a fad that will crash sometime, but no signs of that yet.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I like sours but find I drink far fewer these days. I tend to prefer wild fermented and aged or blended ones vs. kettle sours, which sometimes have an unpleasant one dimensional sourness. Either way though I don't think my enamel or heartburn could handle an entire festival of sour beers though, yikes.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

seangm wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am I like sours but find I drink far fewer these days. I tend to prefer wild fermented and aged or blended ones vs. kettle sours, which sometimes have an unpleasant one dimensional sourness. Either way though I don't think my enamel or heartburn could handle an entire festival of sour beers though, yikes.
this

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am I like sours but find I drink far fewer these days. I tend to prefer wild fermented and aged or blended ones vs. kettle sours, which sometimes have an unpleasant one dimensional sourness. Either way though I don't think my enamel or heartburn could handle an entire festival of sour beers though, yikes.

Agreed….95 percent of kettle sours out there are just straight up tart, not even sour. Combine that with most having adjuncts thrown in, and I avoid pretty much all of them. Foeder sours,wilds,etc I’m down for.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Agreed….95 percent of kettle sours out there are just straight up tart, not even sour. Combine that with most having adjuncts thrown in, and I avoid pretty much all of them. Foeder sours,wilds,etc I’m down for.
Definitely, foeders and wild ales are in a whole different league. I think the only kettle sour series I'll take a flyer on anymore is Jelly King.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I like a good hopped kettle sour, like Jelly King. There are a ton of really one-dimensional kettle sours and fruited kettle sours (which ok, fine, are two-dimensional cuz they taste like fruits) out there these days that don't do much for me. They must be popular though, because pretty much everyone is making them. I wish they'd make light, tart saisons instead.

The festival itself looks cool though. I've never been to this one, but I did go to funkfest at Sawdust City once and it was pretty great. I could definitely drink that much sour beer in a day :D