Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What to do with all these growlers?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DanMalleck

What to do with all these growlers?

Post by DanMalleck »

Hi everyone

I looked for a similar topic but could not find one so if this has been addressed already please just direct me to the relevant discussion.

One of the few benefits of the pandemic shutdown was that my local brewpub began selling growlers. But they would not take the empties back. I now have a bunch of these growlers and want to get rid of them. Does anyone know if there is any kind of growler return system in Ontario?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

DanMalleck wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:38 pm Hi everyone

I looked for a similar topic but could not find one so if this has been addressed already please just direct me to the relevant discussion.

One of the few benefits of the pandemic shutdown was that my local brewpub began selling growlers. But they would not take the empties back. I now have a bunch of these growlers and want to get rid of them. Does anyone know if there is any kind of growler return system in Ontario?
there is not, keep them recycle them or return them to the beer store

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Does The Beer Store take growler returns?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

DanMalleck wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:38 pm Hi everyone

So they won't take empties back, and they won't fill your growler? So you have to rebuy the physical growler each time?

If so, that's a good way to never sell me beer in a growler again, lol
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'm shocked if they still aren't accepting returns considering pretty much all restrictions have been lifted. Are they branded? If not maybe another brewery/brewpub would want them. Also, I sure hope they weren't charging a deposit if they won't take them back.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JerCraigs wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:19 pm Does The Beer Store take growler returns?
yes for 20 cents

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

seangm wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm shocked if they still aren't accepting returns considering pretty much all restrictions have been lifted. Are they branded? If not maybe another brewery/brewpub would want them. Also, I sure hope they weren't charging a deposit if they won't take them back.
most breweries have done away with deposits and moved towards growlers being a purchase
so you buy the growler initially and then bring back your own growler to refill
if the brewery that was mentioned by the OP was charging for a growler each time, not refilling them and not taking them back, then that is the first ive heard of any brewery using that model (which is a terrible model, imo)

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

matt7215 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:12 pm
seangm wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm shocked if they still aren't accepting returns considering pretty much all restrictions have been lifted. Are they branded? If not maybe another brewery/brewpub would want them. Also, I sure hope they weren't charging a deposit if they won't take them back.
most breweries have done away with deposits and moved towards growlers being a purchase
so you buy the growler initially and then bring back your own growler to refill
if the brewery that was mentioned by the OP was charging for a growler each time, not refilling them and not taking them back, then that is the first ive heard of any brewery using that model (which is a terrible model, imo)
I wonder if they were giving the growler away for "free" to move draft beer in light of covid restrictions, based on the OPs comments, and now don't want to be stuck with hundreds of returned growlers. I say free in quotes, since nothing's truly free. I still see the odd place offering growlers with a deposit, but you're right a lot of them are BYO these days.