Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pedal Pubs in Toronto

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:16 pm
After hearing Holyday at the council debate about this, I believe he's simply a contrary opinion to fulfill a "both sides" requirement for this article. He doesn't want it and it isn't based on anything other than his own personal opinion. Very frustrating.
Time to move to Vancouver?

City of Vancouver to Permanently Allow Alcohol Consumption in Select Public Plazas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Well, back to the original topic of this thread - today the council approved pedal pubs, with no alcohol. Holyday voted against it. He really does seem to be against anything remotely fun.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Maybe we should give him some credit. Perhaps he thought pedal pubs without alcohol were a stupid idea. :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:56 am Maybe we should give him some credit. Perhaps he thought pedal pubs without alcohol were a stupid idea. :lol:
:D :D

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Update on beer in the parks:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Looks like we're getting drinking in TO parks this summer afterall:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/05/tor ... res-catch/

For the click adverse, the "catch" (wouldn't be BlogTO without a little clickbait) is that it will only be allowed in wards whose councillors voted in favour; luckily 21 out of 24 voted yes though. Declined wards are Scarborough-Guildwood, Eglinton-Lawrence and Etobicoke Centre.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:36 am Looks like we're getting drinking in TO parks this summer afterall:

For the click adverse, the "catch" (wouldn't be BlogTO without a little clickbait) is that it will only be allowed in wards whose councillors voted in favour; luckily 21 out of 24 voted yes though. Declined wards are Scarborough-Guildwood, Eglinton-Lawrence and Etobicoke Centre.
Yeah, I guess they changed their mind as it definitely was proposed that they were going to kick it to next year again.

It's still full of classic Torotoisms - 9pm end time, 15% alcohol max (no spirits tastings I guess), and only a subset of parks. Literally a pilot within a pilot!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:19 pm
seangm wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:36 am Looks like we're getting drinking in TO parks this summer afterall:

Yeah, I guess they changed their mind as it definitely was proposed that they were going to kick it to next year again.

It's still full of classic Torotoisms - 9pm end time, 15% alcohol max (no spirits tastings I guess), and only a subset of parks. Literally a pilot within a pilot!
And you have to be wearing pants. Sheesh, they'll come up with anything to stop us from having a good time.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:19 pm

Haha, yea, definitely a Toronto-fied pilot (remember that ridiculously hamstrung a la cart street food pilot years back?) It's a step in the right direction though!