Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone goes to Sapporo

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Stone goes to Sapporo

Post by Cass »

I can’t say I’m surprised at any acquisition anymore, this one included.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/stone-br ... o-holdings

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Sapporo is DA MAAN!!!!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 am I can’t say I’m surprised at any acquisition anymore, this one included.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/stone-br ... o-holdings
I actually think it makes a lot of sense if you ignore Stone and Koch's history and bravado. I guess we will see how it works out.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

If this means we see Stone being brewed in Guelph to the same standard as what I've experienced from Stone's products, at a lower price point than Stone imported, I said "giddy-up!"
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:01 am If this means we see Stone being brewed in Guelph to the same standard as what I've experienced from Stone's products, at a lower price point than Stone imported, I said "giddy-up!"
I would definitely agree, however Sapporo has for a few years owned Anchor in San Francisco and they went away and haven't returned to Ontario. I would have thought that they would have come back by now. Maybe Stone they bring back to ON? I guess we'll see.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'd love to have Arrogant Bastard available again, still nothing quite like it locally. Unibroue and Anchor product quality hasn't seem to slide under Sapporo ownership, I imagine the same will be true for Stone. Granted it's a fair point that it didn't seem to help with Ontario distribution in Anchor's case.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:51 am I'd love to have Arrogant Bastard available again, still nothing quite like it locally. Unibroue and Anchor product quality hasn't seem to slide under Sapporo ownership, I imagine the same will be true for Stone. Granted it's a fair point that it didn't seem to help with Ontario distribution in Anchor's case.
Yeah, I'd love to have Arrogant Bastard, and would also love to have Liberty Ale back, as that's also one I don't think there's anything quite like it locally.

I feel like these days acquisitions don't really affect quality anymore - lots of the large US craft brewers are now owned by somebody and they're still ok. Caring about ownership is legit, but I don't think quality should be a concern as they're already making good product at a large scale when they're acquired.

Sleeman pasteurizes their beers in Guelph so maybe that's why Anchor hasn't been brewed there...but that's just speculation. Not sure if that would have an impact on what could happen with Stone.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:35 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:51 am I'd love to have Arrogant Bastard available again, still nothing quite like it locally. Unibroue and Anchor product quality hasn't seem to slide under Sapporo ownership, I imagine the same will be true for Stone. Granted it's a fair point that it didn't seem to help with Ontario distribution in Anchor's case.
Yeah, I'd love to have Arrogant Bastard, and would also love to have Liberty Ale back, as that's also one I don't think there's anything quite like it locally.

I feel like these days acquisitions don't really affect quality anymore - lots of the large US craft brewers are now owned by somebody and they're still ok. Caring about ownership is legit, but I don't think quality should be a concern as they're already making good product at a large scale when they're acquired.

Sleeman pasteurizes their beers in Guelph so maybe that's why Anchor hasn't been brewed there...but that's just speculation. Not sure if that would have an impact on what could happen with Stone.
Liberty and Steam for that matter, I miss both of those beers. I generally go for local independent first but I'm not evangelical about it, good beer is good beer.

You're right about the quality comment, if anything quality should go up since the big guys generally have better QA. I think what I meant to say is probably more related to recipe cost cutting, Mill Street comes to mind; the quality is generally good but there's no way these recipes weren't cheapened, especially Tank House.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 am I think what I meant to say is probably more related to recipe cost cutting, Mill Street comes to mind; the quality is generally good but there's no way these recipes weren't cheapened, especially Tank House.
No arguments there - Tank House definitely doesn't have the bite it once did. Luckily there's lots of other stuff in the market so losing it doesn't sting the way other "acquired" beers have in the past (like Upper Canada in ancient times).

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:11 am
seangm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 am I think what I meant to say is probably more related to recipe cost cutting, Mill Street comes to mind; the quality is generally good but there's no way these recipes weren't cheapened, especially Tank House.
No arguments there - Tank House definitely doesn't have the bite it once did. Luckily there's lots of other stuff in the market so losing it doesn't sting the way other "acquired" beers have in the past (like Upper Canada in ancient times).
For sure, we're so spoiled with choice now, it's almost overwhelming sometimes! haha