Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Are there any kick-ass breweries I'm missing?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

So I love big hazy, juicy IPAs (and big stouts). My current fav breweries are Third Moon and Badlands. Are there any others that come close in ON with their IPAs?
Obviously it would help if they do online orders.... so who deserves my $$$?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Barncat is right on par, if not better than 3moon and badlands IMO. Unfortunately no shipping, and not great hours if your. It local.
Willibald makes really good hazies as well. They do ship I believe.
Counterpart should be in your radar but not sure if they ship or not.
I’d also suggest Dominion city, but tbh I havnt ordered from them in a couple years, so can’t really speak on the quality presently.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Town makes some of the best IPAs in the province, in my opinion. I would say they're perhaps not quite as dense/sweet as some Badlands and 3M, but that's why I like them so much, I find them more balanced for my palate. Rouge River make some excellent hazy IPAs as well.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'm more of an old school west coast IPA fan myself but think both sofakingdrunk and seagm are bang on in pretty much everything they've stated:
- Barncat and Town are better than Badlands and 3M for my palate as well, as both are more balanced/less sweet
- Willibald and Counterpart are very good, although more on the sweet side like Badlands/3M, so could be more to your tastes
- Any Rouge River I've had (not many) have been good, same goes with Dominion

I'd also look at Flux, Fairweather, and Red Barn, I've had some decent hazy beers from each of them on separate occasions.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Wood Brothers can be added to what everyone else has already said

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

seangm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:38 am Town makes some of the best IPAs in the province, in my opinion. I would say they're perhaps not quite as dense/sweet as some Badlands and 3M, but that's why I like them so much, I find them more balanced for my palate. Rouge River make some excellent hazy IPAs as well.
I like Town ok, nut as much as 3M and Badlands, but I have had theirs many times

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

matt7215 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:06 pm Wood Brothers can be added to what everyone else has already said
does not look like they ship, to bad....

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I'll second Rouge River and also recommend checking out All My Friends. I'm also a fan of True History in Toronto, but haven't had too many of their beers (yet)!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Urotsukidoji wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 pm
seangm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:38 am Town makes some of the best IPAs in the province, in my opinion. I would say they're perhaps not quite as dense/sweet as some Badlands and 3M, but that's why I like them so much, I find them more balanced for my palate. Rouge River make some excellent hazy IPAs as well.
I like Town ok, nut as much as 3M and Badlands, but I have had theirs many times
Fair enough, they are definitely a little less intense for lack of a better word. I think Rouge are closer to 3M and Badlands in their approach.

I see you mentioned big stouts as well; 3M probably does it best but you might like 5 Paddles. I find them to be hit or miss overall, but they typically make some nice dessert and imperial stouts; seems to be what they usually pull off the best. I live in Durham Region though, so my picks have a bit of a bias since these breweries are close to me. Right now they've got their Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout, Maple Coffee Stout and 9th Ann. Imperial Stout available.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:56 pm
Urotsukidoji wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 pm
Fair enough, they are definitely a little less intense for lack of a better word. I think Rouge are closer to 3M and Badlands in their approach.

I see you mentioned big stouts as well; 3M probably does it best but you might like 5 Paddles. I find them to be hit or miss overall, but they typically make some nice dessert and imperial stouts; seems to be what they usually pull off the best. I live in Durham Region though, so my picks have a bit of a bias since these breweries are close to me. Right now they've got their Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout, Maple Coffee Stout and 9th Ann. Imperial Stout available.

I can’t say I’ve ever had a 5 paddles beer, so I can’t comment on this. 3moon big stouts are really really good, especially the “each beast” series. However, I don’t think anyone in the province comes close to touching the Barncat “Rat Queen” beers when it comes to big stouts.(maybe counterpart’s Deciduous)
I’ll add Block 3 “the loneliness” as possibly the best non adjunct or ba stout in the province. I love that beer when the brew it.
Willibald does a really good imperial stout which I can’t remeber the name of for some reason.
Wellington RIS is top notch and regularly available at a really good price.
Dominion city when they release their bba stout each year is fantastic and absolutely worth ordering a handful.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a Willi IS last night. It's called Limbo, and I liked it a ton.

They also had two West coast IPAs when I ordered last week, which was so nice. I really like that brewery.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:52 am
seangm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:56 pm Fair enough, they are definitely a little less intense for lack of a better word. I think Rouge are closer to 3M and Badlands in their approach.

I can’t say I’ve ever had a 5 paddles beer, so I can’t comment on this. 3moon big stouts are really really good, especially the “each beast” series. However, I don’t think anyone in the province comes close to touching the Barncat “Rat Queen” beers when it comes to big stouts.(maybe counterpart’s Deciduous)
I’ll add Block 3 “the loneliness” as possibly the best non adjunct or ba stout in the province. I love that beer when the brew it.
Willibald does a really good imperial stout which I can’t remeber the name of for some reason.
Wellington RIS is top notch and regularly available at a really good price.
Dominion city when they release their bba stout each year is fantastic and absolutely worth ordering a handful.
Ah yes, Rat Queen. That one has remained elusive for me, still on my 'must try' list. Bellwoods' big stouts usually receive high praise as well; Chunk, Hellwoods, the Imperial Stout with "X" series.

Still, one of my favourite non-adjunct Ontario imperials is still Tempest, I love the intense roastiness. Double Tempest too, of course.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Last night I had an impy NEIPA from All My Friends, a newer brewery in Prince Edward County, and I would describe it as God-tier. Worth a shot, in my opinion.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

shintriad wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 pm Last night I had an impy NEIPA from All My Friends, a newer brewery in Prince Edward County, and I would describe it as God-tier. Worth a shot, in my opinion.
god-tier, well I guess I gotta give 'em a shot. will wait to put in an order, seem to have some good ones sold out right now....

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I was pretty disappointed with AMF overall, but the DIPA was pretty solid.