Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Betty's on King St is Closing

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Betty's on King St is Closing

Post by lister »

lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh hey neat, Betty's opened a second location where the Ceili used to be. That area used to be home for me, but I'm totally out of touch now.

Sad to see the original go, that was a fun place. Kinda a sensible spot for condos, I guess.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

There goes the neighbourhood! Hope they at least keep the takeaway spot they've been using.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Sad day indeed. I was just there recently.

To be fair, that area does desperately need a Shopper's Drug mart. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I’m not surprised when anything closes nowadays, but I did enjoy Betty’s over the years so a bit sad it’s closing. I used to work on King St East during my university years when the area was only starting to redevelop and it was the only thing around with decent beer IIRC. It had good run.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I spent many a night at Betty's back in the day, lived just down the street for several years. Revisited the place a few years ago but I don't go out as much these days. Still sad to see it go, especially when you consider the likely replacement. Don't get me wrong, we need housing, but modern developers really fail to recreate the sort of lively street level experience that older buildings tend to. The Shoppers comment is spot on, no doubt it'll be a large sterile storefront leased out to the highest bidding pharmacy chain.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:31 am modern developers really fail to recreate the sort of lively street level experience that older buildings tend to
This really saddens me about what Toronto is becoming. Everything is becoming condos, and almost none of them provide the "bustling food and drink experiences" that the sales pitches promise on the street. The bar NIMBYism drives me crazy about how people want to be downtown 'close to the action' but never want restos on the ground level of their building.

I often think about a couple of examples...Ralph from Volo told me that on the very first night he opened, someone from the building came down in their pajamas to bitch. Another one was the guy from Northern Maverick had the foresight to buy another floor above him (not easy for most people to do) as a buffer between the bar and the residents.

We'll get Shoppers's, chiropractors, dentist offices, but never cozy local bars. When they get torn down, they most certainly do not return. It's truly something that is fading from Toronto. End sad rant :D

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There are a couple of examples of places managing to open in condos. The Aviary and Longslice are maybe the only examples I can think of, and I wouldn't exactly call those places cozy either. It's hard to make a giant glass and concrete cube cozy.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

The place is across the street from me, and I hope they have something cool on the ground floor. Anything but a pot shop, furniture store, or nail salon will do.

Truth is, pubs don't work well underneath condos because of the late-night noise and constant smell of deep-fried everything.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:00 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:31 am modern developers really fail to recreate the sort of lively street level experience that older buildings tend to
This really saddens me about what Toronto is becoming. Everything is becoming condos, and almost none of them provide the "bustling food and drink experiences" that the sales pitches promise on the street. The bar NIMBYism drives me crazy about how people want to be downtown 'close to the action' but never want restos on the ground level of their building.

I often think about a couple of examples...Ralph from Volo told me that on the very first night he opened, someone from the building came down in their pajamas to bitch. Another one was the guy from Northern Maverick had the foresight to buy another floor above him (not easy for most people to do) as a buffer between the bar and the residents.

We'll get Shoppers's, chiropractors, dentist offices, but never cozy local bars. When they get torn down, they most certainly do not return. It's truly something that is fading from Toronto. End sad rant :D
Yep, I've always found it ironic when people move to a bustling part of the city only to complain that it's noisy. These brand new condo neighbourhoods are really just vertical suburbs, no life or character.

It's not all bad though, Toronto still has some good commercial strips left and thankfully Betty's will live on, but I do think we'll see a lot of cozy local bars disappear and not find a new space. Continually rising rents will make it tough for smaller, low frills places to live on.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Craig wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:36 am There are a couple of examples of places managing to open in condos. The Aviary and Longslice are maybe the only examples I can think of, and I wouldn't exactly call those places cozy either. It's hard to make a giant glass and concrete cube cozy.
GLB as well.
lister

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Cass, wonderful post. You said things that I feel, but don't have the knowledge or experience to be able to say without it just being a vague opinion.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I don't think GLB is in a condo. Isn't that a campus building?

As I understand, it's not all NIMBYism. It's got to do with how condos are managed. The boards just don't want to deal with independent businesses. Bars are too high of a turnover risk, they want people that have deep corporate pockets so they can just rent the space hassle free.

This really speaks more to how shitty it has become to try and launch and operate a small business in our corporate world.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:48 pm Cass, wonderful post. You said things that I feel, but don't have the knowledge or experience to be able to say without it just being a vague opinion.
Thank you very much for the kind words!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:03 pm As I understand, it's not all NIMBYism. It's got to do with how condos are managed. The boards just don't want to deal with independent businesses. Bars are too high of a turnover risk, they want people that have deep corporate pockets so they can just rent the space hassle free.

This really speaks more to how shitty it has become to try and launch and operate a small business in our corporate world.
This is a good point, thanks for the info. I guess my counter would be this is still about "not wanting it", but for different reasons than a classic NIMBY. Either way, it's about discouraging pubs & restos.